Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Season

Cubs are starting to creep up my list of teams that might want to consider blowing it up and starting over

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The Padres finished off St. Louis and will face the Dodgers in the other half of the NLDS. As a National League fan, I have no horse in this race as I dislike Atlanta, HATE the Patient Zeroes (a.k.a. Miami) while the Dodgers constantly find new and terrible ways to choke in the postseason, so I’ll root for Fernando Tatis Jr. and the Fathers.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Former Cardinals pitcher Bob Gibson passed away at 84 after a cancer fight.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I just looked up some of Gibson's statistics, and in 1968 "The Year of the Pitcher," Gibson led the league in ERA with 1.12 and strikeouts with 268! Could you imagine any pitcher recording stats like that today? RIP Mr. Gibson.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Rest easy, Bob Gibson.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Just heard about Mr. Gibson. How sad.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I just looked up some of Gibson's statistics, and in 1968 "The Year of the Pitcher," Gibson led the league in ERA with 1.12 and strikeouts with 268! Could you imagine any pitcher recording stats like that today? RIP Mr. Gibson.
    Well, yes. DeGrom, Cole, maybe Bauer, maybe Kershaw. Doesn't diminish one of the all time greats though, RIP Mr. Gibson.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, yes. DeGrom, Cole, maybe Bauer, maybe Kershaw. Doesn't diminish one of the all time greats though, RIP Mr. Gibson.
    I could see any of those four recording that many strikeouts, but an ERA below 1.50? I doubt it, not with the way hitters are knocking it out of the park these days.
    Watching television is not an activity.

It was that season's performance that prompted MLB to change the construction of the pitcher's mode. Gibson was so overpowering that he literally made the league change the game so they could level the playing field for everyone else.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member

I could see any of those four recording that many strikeouts, but an ERA below 1.50? I doubt it, not with the way hitters are knocking it out of the park these days.
    IIRC all of them have had seasons under 2.0. Which is at least in the...er...ballpark.

Phillies GM Klentak is stepping down, imagine it's one of those quitting before he finally gets fired deals

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Phillies GM Klentak is stepping down, imagine it's one of those quitting before he finally gets fired deals
    Yeah I just heard this. Thank goodness it happened, however it went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    As an A's fan, I would like to formally invite and welcome everyone else to the bandwagon for the upcoming series against Houston. We've got beer!
    Sure, why not. I'm in.

I need a team to root for and you got beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Just heard about that. Thank goodness. As a Phillies fan, Klentak has been a train wreck as GM, the disastrous bullpen he built with it’s near 8.00 ERA and numerous blown saves cost the team a playoff slot, his poor draft picks left the minor leagues near barren and bereft of talent, and his mismanagement of the salary cap has been horrendous. I only hope the owner will bring in someone who actually knows what he’s doing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just heard about that. Thank goodness. As a Phillies fan, Klentak has been a train wreck as GM, the disastrous bullpen he built with it’s near 8.00 ERA and numerous blown saves cost the team a playoff slot, his poor draft picks left the minor leagues near barren and bereft of talent, and his mismanagement of the salary cap has been horrendous. I only hope the owner will bring in someone who actually knows what he’s doing.
    I often wonder how guys like that last so long before they get canned or quit.