Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Season

Not only will they not want to, they kind of can't. That's not enough time. Hockey is a brutal season. NBA, well, they probably could easier.

The Spanish Flu season of 1919 is really the only modern precedent we have to compare this to, and that season was cancelled. It is the only time the Stanley Cup has not been awarded. It will most likely now just be the first time.

And I'm sorry to be a downer, but America does not even remotely have this **** under control. There is no safely re opening America as things stand. We will likely not see any pro sports this year unless the Federal Government steps up their game, but that **** ain't happening.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Not only will they not want to, they kind of can't. That's not enough time. Hockey is a brutal season. NBA, well, they probably could easier.

The Spanish Flu season of 1919 is really the only modern precedent we have to compare this to, and that season was cancelled. It is the only time the Stanley Cup has not been awarded. It will most likely now just be the first time.

And I'm sorry to be a downer, but America does not even remotely have this **** under control. There is no safely re opening America as things stand. We will likely not see any pro sports this year unless the Federal Government steps up their game, but that **** ain't happening.
    Agreed completely. I know fans and players don't want to hear this but they may have to just cancel those seasons, and get ready for the new seasons in the fall. The only other option is to wait until next January and then complete the current seasons then with the playoffs.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Agreed completely. I know fans and players don't want to hear this but they may have to just cancel those seasons, and get ready for the new seasons in the fall. The only other option is to wait until next January and then complete the current seasons then with the playoffs.
    I agree. At present, there’s no guarantee the NFL season will start on time, and that’s in September. If there’s a second wave of infections, and some experts say there might, even that would be in jeopardy. The NBA and NHL might as well say screw it and stay shut down until the fall, if the Olympics were postponed until 2021, there’s no way in hell basketball and hockey can restart a few weeks from now, not even in empty arenas. As for MLB, I fear there probably won’t be a season, not while there’s no universal testing of the population, and a risk of fresh virus cases in states with Trump loving governors eager to kiss his ass by reopening earlier than warned.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-20-2020 at 05:23 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Yeah, I'm pretty much banking on there being no baseball this year. Which, I'm very upset about as I've been very much anticipating baseball since the end of last season. But it is what it is. I can see that if things get a little better in the summer some exhibition games, but I think the logistics of putting together a shortened season is just too much.

I just heard a report on my local all-news radio station that New York City has cancelled all events until June. That's sure to throw a monkey wrench into any plans MLB had for starting the season.

No matter what happens, there are not going to be any large scale events until there is a vaccine. You'e not going to any concerts, conferences, conventions or sports until there is a vaccine.

NFL might play games, but you're not going to them! Just mentally prepare for this. People keep rescheduling things for the fall, and I'm like, that probably isn't taking place either.

Well, me and a bunch of friends created fantasy teams anyway and even bought in. The fantasy league we are with is contingent on games going on in September. Guess that could happen, we shall see.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Well if the last month of labor disputing between millionaires and billionaires hasn't completely turned you off the sport
    players report on July 1st for Spring... Summer Training I guess
    Opening day on July 24th
    60 games, there will be a universal DH, extra innings will start with a runner on second, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Well if the last month of labor disputing between millionaires and billionaires hasn't completely turned you off the sport
    players report on July 1st for Spring... Summer Training I guess
    Opening day on July 24th
    60 games, there will be a universal DH, extra innings will start with a runner on second, etc
    Since baseball is my first sports love, I'm excited. 60 games means having to have an NFL mentality because the margin for error when it comes to wins and losses will be slim at best. How will managers handle rotations, 4 starters, 5 starters? What about benches? Will there be expanded rosters? Can't wait to see how this all turns out.

certainly going to be interesting having the end of season stretch as the entire season, imagine players are going to have extremely short leashes, especially with expanded rosters, means if a starter is struggling he probably isn't getting 3 or 4 starts to work it out, same with a slumping position player. And injuries that would be relatively minor in other seasons could be catastrophic this year, a 20 game stint on the DL doesn't mean as much when there's 142 more games compared to when it's a third of the season
    Last edited by Hiromi; 06-24-2020 at 08:24 AM.

All this assuming any actual games get played.

The training facilities already had cases. The Rockies have cases from players working out at Coors Field. Tennis, Golf, all coming down with cases. I don’t see this happening without massive issues. 60 games over several months? With lots of travel?

Eh. It’s already a bullshit season, and it all seems like a massively bad idea.

I am excited to have baseball back. Even if it is only for 60 games. The good thing is The Reds made a lot of off season moves so there is a good chance they will win 20 games lol. And I wonder how the Astros will get a cheat plan in place for a shortened season.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

It looks like 40 games will be in division and 20 games with their sister division. That should cut down on travel.

I still like the Grapfruit/Cactus league idea better. Might as well make it a REALLY weird season.

Personally, I've wanted shorter baseball seasons for a long time. But not that short.

I've been a fan of the MLBPA's 90 games setup. 32 games in division, 40 out of division, 15 inter league with your sister division, and a 3 game special series with an inter league non-sister division team.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-24-2020 at 01:11 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I still like the Grapfruit/Cactus league idea better. Might as well make it a REALLY weird season.
    Too bad those states are such a mess. I was into that idea. And it would have really allowed them to bubble the teams more effectively.

But I still don't think they manage to pull off this season, so for me it's pretty irrelevant what set up they're going with.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm going to make a prediction and say that not long after they start the season, players will start getting the virus, which will then be spread to other teammates and those teams will have to either play with bench players or forfeit games. MLB will see this unfolding and have to decide if playing the season is more important ($$$) than player safety. If they decide to cancel the season, then what happens with player eligibility? Do they all accrue one more year or no? That will open up a HUGE can of worms.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor