Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Batman: Pennyworth R.I.P.

Ok, I hated this. Like holy crap the Batfamily came off like the worst people ever. Goddamn Ric was the most tolerable one. Despite being contradictory with pretty much every thing the crap Nightwing writers have done with him. Not sure why the Bat office is still holding on to something they don’t even seem to follow. Anyway, ya. What the hell. Poor Bruce. Im alone here, or did the Batfamily not come off like a bunch of turds.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-12-2020 at 11:35 AM.

I kinda liked it. What the family said to bruce was hurtful and did come across as a bit nasty but I think it is what he needed to hear.

But most of all im looking forward to what I think this will lead to. Bruce reuniting the family and probably retiring. If you have read Superman heroes I think his and wonderwoman's conversation kinda hints towards that happening

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

I don't think I will buy it: it seems to me the classical book written to take economical advantage from a situation (the Alfred's death and how the Bat-family deals with it) rather than to tell a story.
    I mean: Claremont dealt with the dead of Jean Grey in one issue and the writers of today need a new book to do the same thing with Alfred's death?

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ok, I hated this. Like holy crap the Batfamily came off like the worst people ever. Goddamn Ric was the most tolerable one. Despite being contradictory with pretty much every thing the crap Nightwing writers have done with him. Not sure why the Bat office is still holding on to something they don’t even seem to follow. Anyway, ya. What the hell. Poor Bruce. Im alone here, or did the Batfamily not come off like a bunch of turds.
    I'm kinda the opposite. I thought Bruce had this coming. It's not like anything they told him wasn't true. He fucked them all over. Especially his own kid. The only thing I didn't care for was all of them walking out after literally just getting there (though I at least understand why in Damian's case). The man wanted you all to spend the night together as his last wish so get your yells out and spend at least like...an hour together.

All in all, I enjoyed the issue. I like seeing the Batfamily together in a casual setting, doing normal family stuff. Even if it was mostly negative in this case.
    Last edited by Blue22; 02-12-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I'm kinda the opposite. I thought Bruce had this coming. It's not like anything they told him wasn't true. He fucked them all over. Especially his own kid.

All in all, I enjoyed the issue. I like seeing the Batfamily together in a casual setting, doing normal family stuff. Even if it was mostly negative in this case.
    Yeah its negative things Bruce needed to here! I bet Bruce's story will end before 5G with Bruce finally fulfilling Alfreds wish.

Bruce’s dad died, how about some freaking compassion. They act as if Bruce invited an alternate reality version of his dad and Bane in to ruin his life. He didn’t deserve that. All they did is pile on the man.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-12-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Bruce’s dad died, how about some freaking compassion. They act as if Bruce invited an alternate reality version of his dad and Bane in to ruin his life. All they do is pile on the man.
    Alfred was pretty much a father figure to all of them as well. I think lashing out is a pretty natural thing to do. I think they are all just concerned about the family's future as Alfred brought them together. Stress, Grief and Anger all bottled up for so long - its no wonder Bruce got both barrels.

They only even know Alfred through Bruce. They should be concerned about the family’s future after that display. To treat someone as their punching bag, while he is one who lost far more then any of them, is just shameful. Cause they are hurting isn’t an excuse. You didn’t see Bruce blaming them for being weak and not doing anything. Which is what they basically did to him.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-12-2020 at 11:58 AM.

I thought this issue was fine, except for three continuity related problems.

1. An editor's note says it's set before Nightwing Annual #2 - but that was before Dick was shot and thus is impossible. They must've meant Annual #3, which shows Dick apparently back to his old self. But it isn't out yet (solicited for April), so the editor's note wasn't necessary at all.

2. Tim Drake's section used the wrong costume. The scene is clearly set just after Tim became Robin, and he later refers to putting on the R, and is shown using his R Darts. So why is he wearing the Rebirth Red Robin suit instead of the 90s Robin one? Also, Nightwing had his early 90s costume but it was coloured black and blue like his modern ones instead of blue and gold.

3. The photo at the end shows everyone suited up, including a pre-shooting Dick. But Barbara only adopted her current costume just after Dick was shot, so she should've had her Burnside suit in the photo.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

They only even know Alfred through Bruce. They should be concerned about the family’s future after that display. To treat someone as their punching bag, while he is one who lost far more then any of them, is just shameful. Cause they are hurting isn’t an excuse. You didn’t see Bruce blaming them for being weak and not doing anything. Which is what they basically did to him.
    Because Bruce had literally nothing to blame them for aside from SOMEHOW jobbing to an elderly Thomas Wayne.

None of them did anything wrong. Meanwhile there's a list of things Bruce needed to take a verbal lashing for, and he knew it. That's why he didn't say ****. They're low-key in this situation because of him and yet he has his 13 year old son going around thinking it was his fault.

I don't think a tribute or mourning of Alfred needed to turn into a bashing Bruce story.

He hasn't been written as a good patriarch as of late but I don't think this was the proper place for it to come out. Alfred wouldn't have wanted that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Because Bruce had literally nothing to blame them for aside from SOMEHOW jobbing to an elderly Thomas Wayne.

None of them did anything wrong. Meanwhile there's a list of things Bruce needed to take a verbal lashing for, and he knew it. That's why he didn't say ****. They're low-key in this situation because of him and yet he has his 13 year old son going around thinking it was his fault.
    None of them did anything at all. Are they not superheroes too. Did they not care for Alfred or Gotham. Yet Bruce deserves a verbal lashing for not being able to do what they couldn’t do either.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think a tribute or mourning of Alfred needed to turn into a bashing Bruce story.

He hasn't been written as a good patriarch as of late but I don't think this was the proper place for it to come out. Alfred wouldn't have wanted that.
    This wasn't the best place to have it. But I'm still glad it happened. Hell I can vouch for the touch of realism it added. From experience, people like to choose memorials to get all their pent up **** out for whatever reason

Who would have thought Jason would be the most reasonable one?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Have to disagree here. The death of Alfred is the perfect reason for all that anger to bubble over. Alfred isn't there anymore to convince the others to bend to Bruce's will behind his back or to give him another chance.
    And not a good patriarch is really understating some of the **** he has done.