Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ok, I hated this. Like holy crap the Batfamily came off like the worst people ever. Goddamn Ric was the most tolerable one. Despite being contradictory with pretty much every thing the crap Nightwing writers have done with him. Not sure why the Bat office is still holding on to something they don’t even seem to follow. Anyway, ya. What the hell. Poor Bruce. Im alone here, or did the Batfamily not come off like a bunch of turds.
    100% agree! The Batfamily is truly the worst and its books like these that make me wish for a separation between Batman and the Family. Bruce is always made out to be the bad guy, always gets the blame for any and everything. I want Bruce to wash his hands of the Family, just be done with them, at this point he's just their whipping boy. He dosen't need them and they do absolutely nothing for him. He would be much better off without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s a Tim fan. Wasn’t 90s - 00s Bruce an unbearable prick? Might just be how he sees Bruce’s relationship with the Batfamily.
    I definitely think that the later Batjerk era effects a lot of how he writes the family.

It was meh, but whatever. I just don't care at this point, but what kind of stood out to me is that Dick's Nightwing costumes were all over the place in this. In Tim's story Dick was apparently wearing a wrongly colored Nightwing costume that Lobdell gave him in the New 52 Outlaws book flashback. What a bizarre choice to pick that costume that Lobdell threw into the Outlaws book at the start of the New 52 and has been mostly forgotten since, but Tim was wearing his double R Robin costume. They didn't wear those at the same time. So that was weird.

Then in Ric's "flashback" for Dick that Bruce had to tell him about (what a strange set up because of the Ric crap) Dick was wearing his Rebirth Nightwing costume in it, but they said it was just after Damian died. So that costume hadn't been created yet. Dick was still wearing his red Nightwing costume then, and only started wearing the Rebirth costume after Damian had already been brought back. Just a few things that slipped past editors, but it is tough to keep track of it when continuity is such a mess now.

Alfred told Bruce that he was safe and so he sent Damian into the city. Alfred lied to him, knowing what was going to happen.
    Oh yeah, I forgot that he had sent him in. In that case, it's more Alfred's doing than anyone else's. He liked to Bruce to protect him.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I definitely think that the later Batjerk era effects a lot of how he writes the family.
    As much as he was a jerk, they rarely stayed mad at him long and there was a lot of family stuff going on. Seems like there is hardly any these days, just everyone mad at Bruce.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Who would have thought Jason would be the most reasonable one?
    anyone who's seen his growth in maturity since he's been a part of the Outlaws I think since linking up with Biz and Artemis, losing them, finding his way on his own, raising the Generation Outlaw kids, and reuniting with the Outlaws, Jason has been through a lot of personal growth and has become an emotionally intelligent and complex individual. in a weird way his growth since being ousted by Bruce and having to define himself away from Bruce's influence is a weird sort of testament to Bruce's failing as a patriarch. in fact i think Alfred's absence and the rest of the family's frustration immediately boiling over in the wake not only illustrates how much of an impact that Alfred had on the family as a whole better than a simple montage of "let's all cuddle up and remember the good time" could have, but also underscores that Bruce hasn't been much of a family man (in a sense) that he makes himself to be; it was Alfred's tender guiding hand that made the batfamily a family by any stretch.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-12-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Always Rakzo

Anything that bashes the stupid events in King's run (like the fact that Bruce took a vacation while Gotham was falling apart) is cool in my book.

Thought this was a fine issue, the emotional tones felt more like classic Tomasi writing instead of Tynion. The only part that it was obviously handled by the latter is the Tim segment since Tynion has always been obsessed with the character despite of not writing him particularly well and such segment is not that interesting either, literally every other member of the Batfamily was better depicted.

Art was good. Not a bad read.

Astonishing Member

So they just forgot julia existed ?

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    As much as he was a jerk, they rarely stayed mad at him long and there was a lot of family stuff going on. Seems like there is hardly any these days, just everyone mad at Bruce.
    Yeah, the Batfamily hardly feels like a family anymore aside from group appearances or when Bruce generically talks about his "family."

They barely interact, they barely seem to care about one another, they barely appear in each others books...writers just don't seem to care about them as a family.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    anyone who's seen his growth in maturity since he's been a part of the Outlaws I think since linking up with Biz and Artemis, losing them, finding his way on his own, raising the Generation Outlaw kids, and reuniting with the Outlaws, Jason has been through a lot of personal growth and has become an emotionally intelligent and complex individual. in a weird way his growth since being ousted by Bruce and having to define himself away from Bruce's influence is a weird sort of testament to Bruce's failing as a patriarch. in fact i think Alfred's absence and the rest of the family's frustration immediately boiling over in the wake not only illustrates how much of an impact that Alfred had on the family as a whole better than a simple montage of "let's all cuddle up and remember the good time" could have, but also underscores that Bruce hasn't been much of a family man (in a sense) that he makes himself to be; it was Alfred's tender guiding hand that made the batfamily a family by any stretch.
    I think it was Bruce and Alfred that helped make the Batfamily the Batfamily.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    100% agree! The Batfamily is truly the worst and its books like these that make me wish for a separation between Batman and the Family. Bruce is always made out to be the bad guy, always gets the blame for any and everything. I want Bruce to wash his hands of the Family, just be done with them, at this point he's just their whipping boy. He dosen't need them and they do absolutely nothing for him. He would be much better off without them.
    At this point I 100% agree.

Incredible Member

...So no one mentions the fact that Bruce TOLD Damian to go into the city? Does the family even know? This makes Bruce look like such a terrible, horrendous father it's not even funny. This is literal child abuse. What the hell.

And yeah, what about Julia?? This is such a trainwreck. And apparently on the tenth anniversary of the Wayne murders, at which point Bruce would've been 20 years old, the entirety of Batman history up to Damian's death had taken place. Half the costumes in all these flashbacks are wrong too. Jesus Christ.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Maybe I'm just too tired of bad writing Bruce to accept an issue of character bashing.
    I mean, you can't really start doing the recovery until you actually address the elephant in the room
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

They only even know Alfred through Bruce. They should be concerned about the family’s future after that display. To treat someone as their punching bag, while he is one who lost far more then any of them, is just shameful. Cause they are hurting isn’t an excuse. You didn’t see Bruce blaming them for being weak and not doing anything. Which is what they basically did to him.
    Yeah, about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Yeah, about that...

And? Dick had a cavity, Jason shot someone in the face (and was shooting bullets at him), and Tim and him were communicating. But ya, poor abused Robins. As if there aren’t a bunch of out of context clips of them punching him.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-12-2020 at 05:42 PM.

And? Dick had a cavity, Jason shot someone in the face, and Tim and him were communicating. But ya, poor abused Robins. As if there aren’t a bunch of out of context clip of them punching him.
    Eh, not my business, I know; but to be fair, I can picture less punchy ways of achieve every thing in those pics.

(But it's current, last decade Bruce, so, whatever)
    Last edited by Zaresh; 02-12-2020 at 05:44 PM.