Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Default Batman 90 discussion

I give up! 20 pages (and 4 Dollars) to tell a story, that in the nineties it would last 3 pages (and 2 Dollars circa).
    The art is wonderful, but when the story is so inconsistent…

P.S. Sorry for the little rant.

Incredible Member

I don't like that he's clearly trying to break up Batman and Catwoman.

First of all, I don't think Selina plotting (or really, fantasizing) about a heist to steal Bruce Wayne's money before she knew who he was and before they hooked up is that big of a deal, but apparently Bruce can't handle it.

Second of all, Bruce has shown ZERO affection towards her since Tynion took over the run. Zero. It's really like they're just working together, not a couple at all.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-05-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Spectacular Member

I liked it a lot. I didn't read any stories of batman in his first years so it's refreshing to hear about it. And i don't think Tynion is trying to break them up. It's not because a couple doesn't act all lovey dovey that they don't love each other.

I really liked it, I thought Tyions old school Joker was awesome. Kind of a neat idea how he they used this story to explain the Jokers transformation from his traditional clownish character to his modern psycho.

Jimenez art was good, but not as good as March has been.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It's definitely a decompressed book, but not nearly as bad as Batman's Grave but I guess that's sort of a low bar.

I really liked this issue.

For a start, I find the idea of the Designer really intruiguing, as a character and villain. And it allows for a great in-universe explanation for Joker's transition into an absolute monster instead of the Clown Prince of Crime.

Also, Tynion is clearly depicting Bruce and Selina as a toxic relationship, as it should be, because King's made the two of them such horrible people that it's next to impossible for them to be loveable and even tolerable together. hopefully, the one good thing coming out of 5G being significantly changed will be no Helena Wayne, not Bat/Cat baby and no couple soon.

Extraordinary Member

I find it interesting that writers can spend so much time talking over the story but can't actually portray the characters in a way that anyone can agree what is going on (e.g., Bruce/Selina). Are these things that we are supposed to not really know what to think, like I am still baffled as to why someone else even came out of that room after the Designer spoilers:
    he should have taken care of J first
    end of spoilers unless that is supposed to be a glaring plot hole that will be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    I don't like that he's clearly trying to break up Batman and Catwoman.

First of all, I don't think Selina plotting (or really, fantasizing) about a heist to steal Bruce Wayne's money before she knew who he was and before they hooked up is that big of a deal, but apparently Bruce can't handle it.

Second of all, Bruce has shown ZERO affection towards her since Tynion took over the run. Zero. It's really like they're just working together, not a couple at all.
    People read superhero comics for all kinds of reasons of course, but I’m curious: do you actually like Batman comics outside of that marriage story thread, considering it will never be some permanent status quote change?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-05-2020 at 05:09 PM.

People read superhero comics for all kinds of reasons of course, but I’m curious: do you actually like Batman comics outside of that marriage story thread, considering it will never be some permanent status quote change?
    Different person and I hate King's depiction of BatCat, even as I have fondness for the idea of them together (don't think it's every been that fabulously executed, though). For me, the "it can never be permanent" is a downside the comic. I don't see why Batman has to be single forever. And I really am so sick of the flip-flopping of villians back and forth good-to-bad. Once upon a time, Selina had a pretty good arc making her hero (or anti-hero, at least). Should've stuck with it.

I liked Barry and Wally and Clark married. Though in Barry's case, Iris was criminally underused in later years even before being killed off.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    I liked it a lot. I didn't read any stories of batman in his first years so it's refreshing to hear about it. And i don't think Tynion is trying to break them up. It's not because a couple doesn't act all lovey dovey that they don't love each other.

I am in total agreement with you. I don't think Tynion is trying to break them up. He is just giving them angst.

I am glad that Bruce and Selina are calling each other by their real names.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Censorship Sucks

I think a big problem too is just how "weak" King portrayed Batman with Catwoman. Bruce was not acting in character at all then and now they have went sharply the other way with it, with Bruce being cold. Although, I must say that I can appreciate this version of Bruce more as we all know he has a history of being distant, cold, and callused. I can realistically see him acting more like he is now than the soy boy representation with King.

Incredible Member

He hasn't acted like she's his girlfriend/life partner at all though.

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

I liked. It was good this week