Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

That was pretty good. Though I thought Metal started out ok too and that ended up being a jumbled mess. Fingers crossed that won’t happen here. It made me smile when TBWL said “oh I know, I know. ‘You again? We’re so sick of you.’ Yet here you are...” It was basically Snyder talking directly to fans like myself who have been complaining about how tired we are of this character, but we still bought this book. I just hope the ending to issue 1 sticks.

Hopefully Lobo is working for Batman (our Batman). I like the idea that Batman uses him like a blunt instrument when he needs something big found or destroyed.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Unfortunately the particular character fate in this issue isn't going to stick.

And it would have made a lot more sense for a spoilers:
    Dark Multiverse version of Manhattan that was a merge with Superman, considering that was kinda the whole philosophical battle of DDC. But of course its a Batman version.
    end of spoilers
    Snyder can't help himself. He very much writes the DCU as Batman's playground.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

DC released a animated Death Metal trailer with Batman who laughs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkk7RracXCQ

That was ..... really bad. no really really bad.

The art AND the writing.

feel like the 90 are back. big shoulder pad, spikes everywhere ...

and the story .... the only thing more confusing is the history of DC

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

You know, I really hate The Final Bruce Wayne. I'm not crazy about how Wally became Doctor Manhatten either.

Doomsday Clock's been in the ground for less than a year and we already have two new Doctors Manhatten. It already means nothing.

Look, parts of this book were fun. Other parts, not so much. Snyder really does not have Frank Rock's voice. Like at all.

Capullo killed it. I'll keep on reading until it's no longer a fun ride, but gotta be honest, that first issue was bumpy. I was sold a bill of goods that said this book's a Wonder Woman story and it's just all Batman with her in the middle. That's what I was expecting, of course, but I was hoping to be wrong. It's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Snyder namedropped Hickman as the main inspiration for this run. He’s never been anything less than upfront that his run is drawing on Hickman, just like Hickman drew on CoIE for his run. If you look at my post on page 9, one of the spoilers I listed is Snyder namedropping Hickman as the guy he’s trying to imitate with his long form storytelling. Now whether he succeeded in that’s up to you.
    Snyder is like a wordier, more optimistic, and bombastic Hickman.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    Snyder just proved that he is basically stealing what Hickman did for Avengers and is doing it with Justice League...the INSTANT I saw that Map........

Metal = Infinity
    Justice League Run = Time Runs Out
    Heavy Metal = Secret Wars

Once I realized that...it both made me want to read it but also made it very clear that Snyder is not half the writer he and others act like he is...

And do NOT start with that "He started this in his Batman run" BS.

The Owls were never more than the new big 1st protag for New 52 Bats. They ended up being POPULAR and Snyder got new ideas.

THIS was not set up 8 years ago or anything like that, and trying to act like it was is showing your sticking to the blindfold you have on rather then having a discussion.

I think it is cool that Snyder was, pretty obviously NOW, influenced by Hickmans EPIC Avengers run...but DC seriously did not back this like Marvel did (for 1 thing) and Snyder did not hint at it because i think he KNOWS it is a pretty obvious rip on Secret Wars and he and DC would not have wanted that kind of press.

The fact I did not see anyone comment here post issue #1 release about the, now obvious, similarities.

If you want to have a discussion about this, i am all for it, but if you are unwilling to acknowledge the Blatant Similarities (ESPECIALLY after the release of issue #1) then you have a bias, plain and simple.
    I never thought about this and yeah I totally see this now.

I like most of Snyder's stuff especially his early New 52 Batman titles but this reads like Baby's first EPIC Story

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And it would have made a lot more sense for a spoilers:
    Dark Multiverse version of Manhattan that was a merge with Superman, considering that was kinda the whole philosophical battle of DDC. But of course its a Batman version.
    end of spoilers
    Doomsday Clock: "The DCU revolves around Superman!"

Death Metal: "No! the DCU revolves around Batman!"

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    Snyder just proved that he is basically stealing
    This is the same guy that did Court of Owls after Leviathan, had Batman and Two-Face in desert car chases just after Fury Road came out, and put Commissioner Gordon in a Gundam. Snyder's never been subtle in his swiping.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Doomsday Clock: "The DCU revolves around Superman!"

Death Metal: "No! the DCU revolves around Batman!"
    Haha, yeah pretty much. And the latter will win out, there's far more Batman stans within the company these days. Johns respects Superman's symbolic place in DC's history (what I see as a mediocrity in actually writing the character aside), but virtually no one else with any sway there does anymore. And I mean, fair enough to just call it a pissing contest anyway, but in regards to actual substance I did like the new multiversal concept of new Earths being created based on Superman's changes. That was a decent idea that likely will get thrown out in the wake of this story.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-18-2020 at 11:20 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I was on a review website, Inside Pulse to give credit, and they made this interesting little chart out of the Crisis-energy splash page so I just wanted to share it. Basically just lets people know what events are being referenced for those who may not know them.

Dark-Nights-Death-Metal-1-Anti-Crisis-Reboot-annotated.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    This is the same guy that did Court of Owls after Leviathan, had Batman and Two-Face in desert car chases just after Fury Road came out, and put Commissioner Gordon in a Gundam. Snyder's never been subtle in his swiping.
    And THAT is the sin imo. He is not even subtle about it. This is not "Inspiration", this is "I like that so i'm doing that".

And in my original post, i love how it is being ignored that i say that is pretty cool if he was inspired by Hickman but then point out it is Rip-Off. Following the SAME ROAD MAP and General Story Idea (Multi-verse is ending) less than 5 years i think since Secret Wars.......

Hickman being Inspired by CoIE is obvious, but he did not straight up rip-off every story beat across the same number of events with the same focus on the team......Snyder has straight up RIPPED OFF nearly everything, including the number of events and the collapse of the multiverse inbetween...

It honestly makes everything he has written seem so much more Hollow and without purpose than ever before.

It also makes DC look even more like an Envious and even more Unoriginal Product compared to Marvel honestly...and that is saying something with how often they steal ideas from each other (but at least those ideas are only INSPIRED by the stolen one and not usually a straight Rip-Off)
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Snyder is like a wordier, more optimistic, and bombastic Hickman.
    Optimistic is not a word I'd use to describe Snyder's writing.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Optimistic is not a word I'd use to describe Snyder's writing.
    Really? Most of his stories of late have happy endings. Metal ended with them beating the BWL thanks to the power of friendship lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Really? Most of his stories of late have happy endings. Metal ended with them beating the BWL thanks to the power of friendship lol.
    Yeah, we aren't going to see an issue of a Snyder book where Captain America and Iron Man try and kill each other while the world ends or stuff like the Illuminati.