Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960
    Mighty Member

I hope the whole Omniverse idea leads to good stories, I mean if you have just an infinite number of multiverses and an infinite number of earths there should be a number of stories you can tell.
    DC has not been able to use their alternate worlds for anything worthwhile in years.

There is potential. But, it is never cultivated. This will be no different.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    DC has not been able to use their alternate worlds for anything worthwhile in years.

There is potential. But, it is never cultivated. This will be no different.
    Disagree. We’re getting an Earth 3 mini and Yang is going to star Multiverse versions of Batman & Superman in the B/S ongoing. The multiverse is actually getting some play outside anthologies going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Talia. The JL and Legion of Doom are apparently going to team up which I expect will be completely dropped and ignored by Bendis (honestly for the better what a dumb idea).
    I don't think that's what they're saying. I think these character here are the extent to which the League and Legion will actually team up. with Doom and Justice being elevated to actual cosmic forces of the universe, I don't think he meant the literal Halls of Justice and Doom teaming up as one institution. I actually like this collective of characters, and I hope Talia and Vandal's positions here Signal some greater utility for those characters going forward in the grander scheme of the DC landscape.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    No, Metal and Death Metal were incoherent garbage that pretended to be deep. Both story arcs will get praised by the 'dark and edgy= good and mature crowd' but they weren't very good.

I have no problem with DC doing new things, but if your going to do something new, do it right.
    They were both so bad...Snyder's early work on Batman was good, but it went downhill fast after the first couple of arcs....

Mighty Member

Disagree. We’re getting an Earth 3 mini and Yang is going to star Multiverse versions of Batman & Superman in the B/S ongoing. The multiverse is actually getting some play outside anthologies going forward.
    None of that implies anything good. (Frankly, Earth 3 proves my point.)

DC's follow up to "Multiversity", "Freedom Fighters", was spaztastic (despite the solid foundation in " Master Men"). There is no reason to expect better now.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Batman plays bass?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    None of that implies anything good. (Frankly, Earth 3 proves my point.)

DC's follow up to "Multiversity", "Freedom Fighters", was spaztastic (despite the solid foundation in " Master Men"). There is no reason to expect better now.
    Yang is very good, can’t wait for his stuff. And the entire editorial higher ups got replaced, a bunch of new writers are at DC, if you want to write off DC sure, but I’m giving the new people a chance and so far I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Only outright dud of Future State so far is Flash. Williamson is seemingly going to be doing the big follow up to the expansion of the Multiverse and since I’ve enjoyed most of his stuff, I am looking forward to whatever big Multiverse exploration we get.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Hypertime was reintroduced in Metal. I think they're only using hypertime to explain Future State. I don't think these are diverging timelines, I think what's happening is the Earths in the Orrey are now spawning into their own Multiverses; so DC can have creators tell whatever story they want, as big as they want, and effectively have their own continuity to work with.
    Which is exactly what Hypertime was meant to be back in the 90s. Hopefully it sticks this time. Just let creators tell the best stories they can that can either use continuity to make them better, like New Frontier and Dark Knight Returns did, or ignore it completely and do their own thing, like Harley Quinn has been doing for literally years.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Batman plays bass?

Slappin' the bass!!

Astonishing Member

I see stuff like this and I wonder whether superhero books have all always been this childish and I never realized it, or they just became something even 13-year-old kids would consider puerile in more recent times.
    Seriously, what the heck was that? What's with this terrible mix of supposed grandeur and one-liners in every single panel?
    Prediction: no one will follow the Legion of Doom/JL team-up, no one will follow the "I remember everything" stuff (mostly because there is no possible way to make it work in a narratively acceptable way) and maybe, just maybe, the only interesting thing which will come out of it is the Elseworld stuff, if it is about a new version of the Trinity with a young, unmarried Superman and possibly with a good writer at helm.
    And they didn't need a whole event to launch a new line, by the way. If this is the direction they are taking DC is just redoing what Marvel did 21 freakin' years ago with the Ultimate Line, and DC failed to do with the Earth One books.
    Last edited by Myskin; 01-06-2021 at 12:31 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I see stuff like this and I wonder whether superhero books have all always been this childish and I never realized it, or they just became something even 13-year-old kids would consider puerile in more recent times.
    Easy. Compare COIE from 1985 and KINGDOM COME from 1996 and compare with DEATH METAL. There's a palpable difference.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Spectacular Member

Well, having reread Metal, all of Snyder's Justice League, and now Death Metal in one big sitting...woof. This just was a big empty fart of nothing.

Snyder just isn't that good at the Hickman/Morrison type event story telling. It's too bad the arc of his career at DC has gone from great, modest, contained stories like Black Mirror and Court of Owls, to absurd, poorly planned, and incredibly anticlimactic epics like Justice/Doom War and Death Metal. And what really stands out is how things clearly were either not that well planned, or changed radically as Doomsday Clock, Didio's firing, Bendis' hiring, etc. all changed plans. Because read as one straight story Metal-->Justice League-->Death Metal really does not read as a cohesive story.

Perpetua is set up as the big bad than dropped. Luthor's role in Death Metal feels oddly small given the focus he received in Justice League (focus but not really development...Luthor has almost never been less interesting than he is throughout Justice League).

And unlike Morrison, and I'm not the biggest Morrison fan boy but I acknowledge he is brilliant more often than not, is I don't really think Snyder ever pinned down what his story was about.

He throws out "Doom" and "Justice" and ideas of Hope, and it all mattering, and all that...but it doesn't feel cohesive in a meaningful way.

His Justice League run especially is just kind of nonsense. I get what he was going for, heck he played with the same idea in Batman: Last Knight on Earth - the idea of people choosing "doom" - and I get how that is sort of politically relevant given the last four years, but I'm not sure he had anything to say about it or a real answer for it.

The end of the Justice League run shows people choosing doom over justice. At the end of Death Metal I guess we're supposed to believe the people of Earth chose to fight doom but that doesn't really come across. Instead we get pretty lame Batman moments and one of the clunkiest climactic beats I've ever seen with Wonder Woman kicking the hand to slap TBWL. I dunno, this was all a big dissapointment as someone who thinks Scott Snyder is awfully talented.

Maybe it's for the best if he steps away from Bombastic superhero stuff for awhile. I'm not sure it's his greatest strength.

All-New Member

I just sat through all of Death Metal including tie-ins and the Justice League arc, and though it was tough figuring out where things go towards the end I liked it a whole lot better than what I read about from others.

Although there were narrations from Sergeant Rock and the Robin King the whole main seven issues did follow Wonder Woman pretty much as the headlines said, with the two final days one shots actually have Wonder Woman and Donna Troy as the main story focus with interludes showing the others. Then there's the idea that everything matters. Everyone complains when they do a reboot or relaunch and then pick and choose what fits into continuity with it generally becoming a mess. Although they don't have the timeline they promised us back when Didio was still in charge the idea that everything matters solves the problem of what is in continuity. Now we don't have to wonder "Did this happen?" because the answer is yes and now anything can be referenced. This is like if Grant Morrison wrote the DC universe.