Page 16 of 60 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Scott seems like he wants to break all the rules, so I imagine she's going to beat up the Presence while Wally jobs to you-know-who.

Aside from some great moments ("bring it in"), this issue was pretty dumb, I'm sorry to say. Thus far, Death Metal has been a big letdown. :/
    Now that I think about it, the Presence has been appearing recently the last few months.

Astonishing Member

I have a feeling, that BWL somehow will kill Perpetua, since he has his own plans for Multiverse. Maybe even next issue, it just before Speed Metal and Dark Multiverse's versions of Crisises. The main villain of Death Metal is still BWL, so this is to be expected, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well who knows.

Let me clarify, it is most definitely not John Stewart or Hal Jordan. But it is someone Snyder has written before and I really like and am glad to see.....I'm trying very hard not to spoil it for people so sorry for the vagueness.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

That was so dumb but it was still entertaining. That final page made me burst out laughing with how over the top it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Wally West seems like the only one who could fight him? But also Perputua mentioned the "hand" with power above her, so I guess whoever she is referring to could also be a chalenger.
    That’s either The Source or The Empty Hand from Multiversity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I have a feeling, that BWL somehow will kill Perpetua, since he has his own plans for Multiverse. Maybe even next issue, it just before Speed Metal and Dark Multiverse's versions of Crisises. The main villain of Death Metal is still BWL, so this is to be expected, imho.
    I expect BWL will remain the Darth Vader of the event to Perpetua’s Emperor Palpatine.

Astonishing Member

Death Metal continues to be a bad, edgy joke. The sooner BWL/ Darkest Knight or whatever he calls himself and Perpetua are shafted, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Wally West seems like the only one who could fight him? But also Perputua mentioned the "hand" with power above her, so I guess whoever she is referring to could also be a chalenger.
    i thought she was talking about the Hand of Creation?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Let me clarify, it is most definitely not John Stewart or Hal Jordan. But it is someone Snyder has written before and I really like and am glad to see.....I'm trying very hard not to spoil it for people so sorry for the vagueness.
    Can't you use the spoiler tag?
    I'm curious now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    i thought she was talking about the Hand of Creation?

Can't you use the spoiler tag?
    I'm curious now.
    spoilers:
    It’s old man Alan Scott. He and Wildcat, Jay Garrick, and Kent Nelson of the JSA are the ones guarding the cemetery, also people remember who they are and the JSA members remember others. I just didn’t want to give to much away.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Alright so I figure it might be better to just post here instead of starting a new thread that will get lost, so I got a small review of Death Metal #2. First a short non-spoiler and then spoilers.

Non-spoilers.....look this is the Snyder and Capullo brand craziness you probably signed up for. If you liked the crazy comic-fueled antics that they pulled in Batman, Last Knight on Earth, or Metal then you will probably like this. It's inherently comicbook silliness with a touch of drama and a splash of trying to look cool with big stakes attached to it. Some of the concepts I agree are dumb but you have fun none the less, its kind of like watching a B Action movie. Wonder Woman gathers a crew, we meet some beloved characters, the villains are up to shenanigans of multiverse proportions, and we are off to next issue which looks to be a superhero prison break. Overall I liked it, its about an 8/10 with good firm story and good art but nothing that truly knocks it out of the park.

On to spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm going to be biased here, I love the JSA and they are no doubt my favorite team of characters so I was pretty much overjoyed seeing them not only return but also be in continuity. The moments with Jay, Wally, and Barry Allen were my favorite, especially the I'll never forget you line. Clearly this series isn't in step with the ongoing series where Jay has yet to return to the Flash family, but honestly I don't care. I got Jay, Wally, and Barry back in one book and I'm happy with it. Oh and I guess the speed force is running out, apparently Barry tried to time travel fix things and it didn't work

What was also great was seeing the Valhalla cemetery, something that once again brings me back to the JSA. However this place is important because this where Batman, lord of the dead apparently, alongside Jonah Hex has been getting bodies to rise as black lanterns with people like the original Liberty Belle and the Freedom Fighters. Once again we get scenes with Batman and Wonder Woman arguing but this time I kind of understood Batman's argument a little better. He's afraid that since Metal every time they save the day they only make the multiverse and the earth worse. Thanks to some convincing, and some talk about pre-historic Ferns from Swamp thing, Batman sides with them and rides off onto a toyman rocket to go break their friends from new Apokolips.

Now here comes the pretty big discussion point, raises some stakes but will probably make a few readers upset. Basically Batman who laughs isn't dead. His body sure as hell is, but the other evil Batmen stuck his brain into basically Doctor Manhattan and well....he got a major upgrade with reality warping powers, his demonstration being killing the evil Batmen around him except for the soon to be Robin King. He is well aware of Diana's plan is going to do his darnedest to stop it and fulfill his plan; a new 52 Multiverse shaped to his liking. Of course he will no longer do this as Batman who laughs and uses his newfound power to become....the Darkest Knight (yes, really).

Yeah so there is going to be a lot of power scaling in this series, I mean we got Perpetua who is still killing earths, but also Manhattan powered Wally West and Manhattan Powered Batman who Laughs with access to the Dark Multiverse and we are going to go travel to past Crises.....I say buckle in if your okay with this like me. If not its probably going to get weirder from here.
    end of spoilers
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

spoilers:
    "Alfred said Bats are the only mammal that flies, Batman is about teaching people to aspire past what seems possible"
    end of spoilers
    Jesus that's almost as bad as "Save Martha".
    Does beg the question if there's an earth without bats the does he choose the name "flying squirrel man"?
    I suppose you can't do associate cool metaphors with dolphin man or whale man.

Astonishing Member

I'm liking this. It's not just over-the-top, it's so over-the-top that it kind of confirms my longstanding suspicion that Snyder's actually more writing satire or parody of DC. This isn't to say his themes he explores aren't real or important, just that there's this complete parodic element to them. What's the daffiest, dumbest, biggest thing you can think? We go bigger!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    On to spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm going to be biased here, I love the JSA and they are no doubt my favorite team of characters so I was pretty much overjoyed seeing them not only return but also be in continuity. The moments with Jay, Wally, and Barry Allen were my favorite, especially the I'll never forget you line. Clearly this series isn't in step with the ongoing series where Jay has yet to return to the Flash family, but honestly I don't care. I got Jay, Wally, and Barry back in one book and I'm happy with it. Oh and I guess the speed force is running out, apparently Barry tried to time travel fix things and it didn't work
    end of spoilers
    Death Metal is ahead of The Flash, yes. spoilers:
    I'm guessing Wally doesn't factor into Finish Line. We saw seven speedsters on the covers - Barry, Jay, Wallace, Avery, Max Mercury, Jesse Quick and Impulse. So while DM is the first time Jay and Wally reunite, it's not the first reunion of Jay and Barry.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I'm liking this. It's not just over-the-top, it's so over-the-top that it kind of confirms my longstanding suspicion that Snyder's actually more writing satire or parody of DC. This isn't to say his themes he explores aren't real or important, just that there's this complete parodic element to them. What's the daffiest, dumbest, biggest thing you can think? We go bigger!
    Agreed. He seems to be making fun of DC history more then he is celebrating it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think I'm probably out after this one. It's clear to be more Batman glorification at the expense of everything else around them. They couldn't even let Wally be special again. He had to get one-upped by Batman because of course. The sooner Snyder gets his hands off the steering wheel of the DCU, the better we'll be.

I can't just look at it as dumb fun because, ultimately, it's going to shape the direction DC takes. I hope they turn it around, but as it is, I'm not buying issue #3 even for the art.

Astonishing Member

I think I'm probably out after this one. It's clear to be more Batman glorification at the expense of everything else around them. They couldn't even let Wally be special again. He had to get one-upped by Batman because of course. The sooner Snyder gets his hands off the steering wheel of the DCU, the better we'll be.

I can't just look at it as dumb fun because, ultimately, it's going to shape the direction DC takes. I hope they turn it around, but as it is, I'm not buying issue #3 even for the art.
    I''m getting a lot of dumb and no fun from Death Metal.

Yeah, the continued talk that this is a WW story is starting to piss me off too. I mean, just don't patronize me. This is a Batman story of which she's doing a lot of stuff in. That's it.

And I 100% agree that Snyder should not be steering the larger ship. He's too singularly focused for that. Say what one will about Geoff Johns, and lord knows I have, he loves the larger playground and the multiple areas of focus that is required with large scale mapping like this. Snyder still looks at it all through a Batman lens. You need someone who can see the forest for the trees if you're going to have someone in charge of something shaping the future of the whole smash like this.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-14-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El