Page 26 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    The problem is when you can't avoid him anymore and at the same time Bruce hasnt been interesting or sympathetic for a long time. I like him enough in Earth One and Universe but the moment you put him on JL he seems to be Batgod/Batjerk. Also the family is too big and written as a source for drama making Bruce a despised father figure on top of all this
    Interesting is subjective, you and a lot of other people may not find him interesting but he has never been more popular so clearly a lot of people think he's a compelling character.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Interesting is subjective, you and a lot of other people may not find him interesting but he has never been more popular so clearly a lot of people think he's a compelling character.
    Yeah it’s like how the forums hates the Batman Who Laughs. You can hate him all you want, but DC keeps pushing him because he keeps selling. Death Metal’s next issue has already sold out so people are clearly interested in these types of events.

That said I think the success of Aquaman and WW have shown that it’s not impossible for other characters to carry the DCU. WW should get an event that actually involves her mythos rather than this.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    He is and I hope his editorial will make him compelling again instead of going for short term $$$ and burning his audience out

Bruce has just as many fans now if not more defending him on the internet depending on where you go
    I mean its hard to see anyone championing Superman like you used to he's legit losing polls to characters like Saitama and Goku nowadays

I didn't know about planet Gotham in LOSH but I suppose better late than never is operating there I mean over 70 years and he's just now having a legacy in LoSH with Bendis that's progress I guess

Well, if it serves from something i still like Bruce, even if he rarely acts sympathetic these days, i still see the good in the characther, but Dark Multiverse idea never sat well with me, it just seemed...too weird, i mean at the end it was clearly sucessfull, but i never like to place that level of importance on his characthers, even Morrison didn't go that far. But hey people enjoy it so good for then. BWL still sucks thought
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Lmao I finally read the Legends book and spoilers:
    BWL’s just freaking kills Batmanhattan with a knife? Haha holy ****. It’s the “teleports behind you” meme played dead serious
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Bruce has just as many fans now if not more defending him on the internet depending on where you go
    I mean its hard to see anyone championing Superman like you used to he's legit losing polls to characters like Saitama and Goku nowadays

I didn't know about planet Gotham in LOSH but I suppose better late than never is operating there I mean over 70 years and he's just now having a legacy in LoSH with Bendis that's progress I guess
    I think Planet Gotham first showed up in DC One Million. There’s this weird period where all the mainline legacies go away once the 31st century hits and then they all come back. Having a Batcharacter in the Legion never really worked though because the Legion’s whole thing was you needed a superpower to be a member.

Polls don’t really matter, there are other polls out there that list him pretty high. End of the day the popular characters are the ones who can support and move books. Batman and Superman are two of the only characters that can support multiple ongoings, and as far as I know the only other one is Spider-Man. GL went from being able to support multiple Lantern books to just one, which is one hell of a falloff. Hopefully that HBO Max series will restore the franchise to glory in the eyes of the mainline...
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-05-2020 at 11:06 PM.

Batman will always be DC’s biggest seller so it should be no surprise that he’s everywhere. The issue is that it’s being way over done because at the moment DC’s only characters with high marketability are Batman and The Joker. This is very reminiscent of the mid 90s. The most popular characters were numerous Marvel superheroes and Batman. That was it.

I don’t blame Batman as it’s really on DC as they are failing with their other tent pole properties. In the 2000s, the Green Lantern franchise was as hot as anything in comics and pop culture. Everyone was wearing the “rainbow Corps.” t shirts. Aquaman was outselling Spider-Man during the New 52. It’s possible for other DC characters to become the focal point of the company but Batman is just the easy solution.

Marvel currently has an event focused on Hulkling. I think it’s time DC put some creative effort towards some other characters. Batman will always be lucrative. It would be nice to see them branch out a bit.

BANNED

The Flash sells doesn't it? I haven't looked at charts in a year, so dunno.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Polls don’t really matter, there are other polls out there that list him pretty high.
    There is a difference though. Those guys aren't declining, they are gaining grounds. Superman on the other hand isn't. Goku, saitama.. Etc are much much younger characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    There is a difference though. Those guys aren't declining, they are gaining grounds. Superman on the other hand isn't. Goku, saitama.. Etc are much much younger characters.
    goku has long since ceased to be the mainstay of manga / anime, that position belongs to luffy. saitama is a character that will be forgotten 5 minutes after the end of his series.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    goku has long since ceased to be the mainstay of manga / anime, that position belongs to luffy. saitama is a character that will be forgotten 5 minutes after the end of his series.
    Are you talking about manga sales. If yes, that's true. If not, then luffy doesn't come close to goku. I say this as a fan. Especially, in the global appeal. As for saitama, The story is pretty darn great. I don't see it getting forgotten, that easily . It will ofcourse end.That being said the second season animation wasn't close to the first season. Madhouse leaving the project had big impact.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Are you talking about manga sales. If yes, that's true. If not, then luffy doesn't come close to goku. I say this as a fan. Especially, in the global appeal. As for saitama, The story is pretty darn great. I don't see it getting forgotten, that easily . It will ofcourse end.That being said the second season animation wasn't close to the first season. Madhouse leaving the project had big impact.
    the attractiveness of goku is pure word, naruto is far above, and in terms of sales, as you said luffy is at another level, the difference between goku and superman, is that superman shares a universe with batman, that's why it is reduced to nothing , Goku is in his own universe and he's still the main character. imagine the death of Portgas D. Ace if luffy and goku shared the universe, I think it is very obvious that goku would have the same luck as superman in dc.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Wait, are these just more singular “what-if” type stories or are they part of Death Metal? Maybe it’s a stupid question but Dark Multiverse stories in the middle of event that has a plot that is about going back to past events in the dark multiverse, makes me think maybe it comes into play.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Wait, are these just more singular “what-if” type stories or are they part of Death Metal? Maybe it’s a stupid question but Dark Multiverse stories in the middle of event that has a plot that is about going back to past events in the dark multiverse, makes me think maybe it comes into play.
    Look like singular what-if stories and not event tie-ins, although perhaps Snyder has plans to reference them. My guess? DC ordered these to help pad their catalog with so many ongoings ending.