Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

So wait Batman is driving around on a motorcycle with a scythe is using the powers of the Black Lantern ring from Blackest Night to summon dead allies to fight against an evil version of himself. First I'm surprised that John Stewart isn't the one with the Black Lantern ring and second where would Batman even get that?

Also, maybe this is just me but I kind of like the image of armored aquaman with what looks to be the Cthulu Batman Snyder was talking about. I dig it just based on image design
    Last edited by sifighter; 02-29-2020 at 04:35 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

So is Hell Arisen more than just a side note miniseries? Maybe Perpetua chooses TBWL over Lex.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    So is Hell Arisen more than just a side note miniseries? Maybe Perpetua chooses TBWL over Lex.
    Hard to say, because it’s playing an odd role. It’s basically supposed to pick up all the pieces that are left from Year of the Villain, Doom War/Justice League #39, and the Batman/Superman secret six arc while setting us up for the Death Metal story.

However given that we Batman who laughs with Perpetua in the preview art...not looking good for Lex.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm excited that Wonder Woman is front and center for this event but, even then, I feel like it's still gonna largely be a Batman event; which I don't care for. this sounds like bonkers fun but Snyder has been giving us that for 2-3 years straight, so I'm not particularly excited for that, and I am starting to get real tired of comic stories about comic stories. I'm gonna read it because Snyder always has interesting ideas but I'm approaching this more cautious than optimistic.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

dr.jpg
    New tease from Scott Snyder's twitter page

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    dr.jpg
    New tease from Scott Snyder's twitter page
    I honestly wasn't expecting to see Manhattan again after Doomsday Clock.

According to Snyder’s Twitter that’s just a recap page, however we do have Mobius/Manhattan powered Wally West in this series so that may tie in.
    Words to live by.

A few new Death Metal details from the newest Snyder interview on DC Universe:

-While Snyder isn't taking away from what Geoff did in Doomsday Clock, how Dr. Manhattan changed the DCU has a big role on this story
    -SGT. Rock shows up and has some 4th wall breaking moments, talking to the audience, encouraging the DC Universe to have hope while this darkness surrounds them
    -The themes of the story is similar to his justice league run, about how people choose doom/being selfish over coming together.
    -Wonder Woman is the main character of this story because she represents truth and people needing to unite.
    -Sounds like he really understands the complaints people have had about continuity over the past year and the goal with this event is to connect everything.
    -Snyder has been reading new frontier and sgt. rock stories in preparation of his post death metal plans, seems like he's hinting at his justice society run.

-The themes of the story is similar to his justice league run, about how people choose doom/being selfish over coming together.
    *Sigh* I hate that this is the theme Snyder has been running with since Metal and through his Justice League run. It's depressing, cynical and completely undermines the point of DC's heroes being examples to strive towards. And it's not because Snyder is a cynical person either, by all accounts he's a nice guy and a great dad. His writing just focuses on his worst fears and doubts for some reason which ruins a lot of his work, especially in the endgame arcs.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

While I enjoyed the stoner delights of Metal a whole lot, I ended up losing interest in Snyder's Justice League run early on when it became clear that he was treading water for at least one or two issues every story arc. I hope Death Metal is worth the shoe-leather that's been spent building up to it, because it's sapped much of my enthusiasm for the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    *Sigh* I hate that this is the theme Snyder has been running with since Metal and through his Justice League run. It's depressing, cynical and completely undermines the point of DC's heroes being examples to strive towards. And it's not because Snyder is a cynical person either, by all accounts he's a nice guy and a great dad. His writing just focuses on his worst fears and doubts for some reason which ruins a lot of his work, especially in the endgame arcs.
    Maybe you misunderstood what I wrote, Wonder Woman and the heroes are advocating for justice and are being the role models you believe them to be. He wasn't implying the heroes would be questioning themseleves.

-While Snyder isn't taking away from what Geoff did in Doomsday Clock, how Dr. Manhattan changed the DCU has a big role on this story
    -SGT. Rock shows up and has some 4th wall breaking moments, talking to the audience, encouraging the DC Universe to have hope while this darkness surrounds them
    -Wonder Woman is the main character of this story because she represents truth and people needing to unite.
    -Sounds like he really understands the complaints people have had about continuity over the past year and the goal with this event is to connect everything.
    -Snyder has been reading new frontier and sgt. rock stories in preparation of his post death metal plans, seems like he's hinting at his justice society run.
    Sgt Rock is kind of random, but okay. I'm always down for some New Frontier influences .

Incredible Member

There was a rumor a while back that Snyder resisted tying his Death Material in to G5. Holy Continuity!

I wondered if this even fed into a rift with DiDio and internal pressures that led to his dismissal.

All rumor and conjecture.

But the G5 thing was (and perhaps is) a big deal, so it was bound to be and possibly still is controversial. The bigger implications it had/has, the more controversial it would inevitably have been. And there's nothing like controversy to stir up conflict. And nothing like conflict to lead to changes in staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    But it’s the reality of our world. I like that DC at least addresses that fact now. Yeah you can use the DC heroes as symbols of hope but I hate stories that make the heroes “holier than thou”. I want relatability not gods... It’s good that DC feels that way too
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    But it’s the reality of our world. I like that DC at least addresses that fact now. Yeah you can use the DC heroes as symbols of hope but I hate stories that make the heroes “holier than thou”. I want relatability not gods... It’s good that DC feels that way too
    I want heroes to be good, even amazing, people - not people I look at and think "I'm better than that" - seen way too much of that. Now, too often (for a couple decades, at least) I too often feel they aren't even heroes (particularly during events). And I'm sick and tired of other hreoes getting trashed (in both competence and morality) so Batman can look more impressive. Sorry, sorry, Identity Crisis flashbacks.

And, I admit it - the whole reason I am into superheroes is I love the triumph of good over evil. If the good guys aren't good and/or don't win, it's not the type of story I want. I'm really tired of the muddying and making "gray" of basically everyone. Good guys aren't really good, bad guys aren't really bad. Also so not into the constant events and mass death and the ever-increasing scope of villainous actions. Once every four or five years at most for those type of events (and no heroes turning) would be more my speed. But maybe comics have left me behind. Maybe no one else wants to read about heroic and good people doing amazing thing sand saving everyone anymore.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 04-05-2020 at 10:12 AM.