Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I want heroes to be good, even amazing, people - not people I look at and think "I'm better than that" - seen way too much of that. Now, too often (for a couple decades, at least) I too often feel they aren't even heroes (particularly during events). And I'm sick and tired of other hreoes getting trashed (in both competence and morality) so Batman can look more impressive. Sorry, sorry, Identity Crisis flashbacks.
    Yeah see I don’t need that. I don’t need to be preached to about morals and being amazing though god like characters. I need that relatability. That’s why the Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Shazam movies were so successful! They made them all relatable instead of making them “holier than they” characters with no struggles. Those three characters all had struggles to overcome and were not gods with no faults... DC imitating that in the comics is a welcome change
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

I can’t really agree with the desire to have the heroes just win effortlessly and everyone love them and follow their example aside from supervillains. I think it’s perfectly acceptable to have the heroes face rejection, to try to show a better way and have the people reject that way because it’s too hard or too slow. Superheroes aren’t just escapist feel good fantasies, they have also always been ways of grappling with the modern world. If anything “hope” means way more when our heroes have their backs to the wall and all seems lost and they keep fighting anyway then having the heroes effortlessly overcome every obstacle.

That said Snyder’s run has been one big nonstop “event” and I’m worried that Death Metal is going to suffer for that. How do you top the collapse of all existence via the Mother Goddess of the Multiverse returning? And WW hasn’t really stood out to me with this run, but hopefully Snyder will do right by her. She’s been in the background for most of it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I can’t really agree with the desire to have the heroes just win effortlessly and everyone love them and follow their example aside from supervillains. I think it’s perfectly acceptable to have the heroes face rejection, to try to show a better way and have the people reject that way because it’s too hard or too slow. Superheroes aren’t just escapist feel good fantasies, they have also always been ways of grappling with the modern world. If anything “hope” means way more when our heroes have their backs to the wall and all seems lost and they keep fighting anyway then having the heroes effortlessly overcome every obstacle.

That said Snyder’s run has been one big nonstop “event” and I’m worried that Death Metal is going to suffer for that. How do you top the collapse of all existence via the Mother Goddess of the Multiverse returning? And WW hasn’t really stood out to me with this run, but hopefully Snyder will do right by her. She’s been in the background for most of it.
    Snyder's Justice League run ended with some beings who apparently are more powerful than Perpetua is. Or could sneak around behind her back. Does it make sense? No.

And apparently Perpetua needs The Batman Who Laughs, too. She has no control over or knowledge of the Dark Multiverse? Give me a break. She literally held planets in her hands - when it served the story. Not when it didn't.

And - Tempus Fuginaut knows all about the Dark Multiverse, but Perpetua doesn't? It seems she is all-powerful except when she isn't.

But don't get me started poking holes in Justice League. Snyder wrote entire arcs that fell apart under even mild scrutiny. Big ideas, few conclusions that aligned with the "logic" of the setups.

Bites off more than he can chew. He's got wild concepts, throws them against the wall, and leaves them there.

Alright so it appears the new release date for Death Metal #1 is June 16

https://www.cbr.com/dc-june-2020-rel...-metal-batman/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Alright so it appears the new release date for Death Metal #1 is June 16

https://www.cbr.com/dc-june-2020-rel...-metal-batman/
    Wonder how many stores will be open? The easing of the lockdowns is going to be scattershot across the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wonder how many stores will be open? The easing of the lockdowns is going to be scattershot across the USA.
    I mean, I buy all my comics digitally so that is an available option for people (Nothing against stores and theres already a thread on that, for me it's a space thing, I only have so much room).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I mean, I buy all my comics digitally so that is an available option for people (Nothing against stores and theres already a thread on that, for me it's a space thing, I only have so much room).
    Oh don’t get me wrong, I get my stuff digitally too. I’ve been pretty critical of how a lot of store owners have thrown tantrums over DC not just throwing their hands up and waiting for Diamond to come back like Marvel has. I’m just wondering how the current pandemic situation will affect sales.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Death Metal will now be 7 issues, instead of the planned 6. It will also be taking a break in the month of September. Also, 2 new tie in anthology books announced giving more background to the world: https://www.newsarama.com/50205-deat...anthology.html

I’m not seeing another thread for this stuff so I’m just gonna post here.

So looks like it will now be seven issues instead of six, meaning with it taking a month off in September that Death Metal probably won’t end until at least January.

Other then that two tie-in guide books in August that supposedly explain what’s going on with some of our Heroes but apparently also the origins of the new evil Batmen. Surprisingly a lot of talent on these guidebooks, like I’m surprised Warren Ellis and Chip Zdarsky took time to write about Death Metal.

https://www.newsarama.com/50205-deat...anthology.html

https://www.newsarama.com/50206-dc-s...september.html

Edit: Dragonpiece beat me to it, respect his post.
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

So looks like it will now be seven issues instead of six, meaning with it taking a month off in September that Death Metal probably won’t end until at least January.

Other then that two tie-in guide books in August that supposedly explain what’s going on with some of our Heroes but apparently also the origins of the new evil Batmen. Surprisingly a lot of talent on these guidebooks, like I’m surprised Warren Ellis and Chip Zdarsky took time to write about Death Metal.

Heh, funny timing. But you are right, wasn't expecting to see some of these writers, especially Chip. Thought he was Marvel exclusive? Either way, I think I'm more curious about the guide book and seeing this world explored more through the heroes.

And Garth Ennis is even more surprising.

Also: Thanks to a recent interview by Scott, We know Jonah Hex and Superboy-Prime are in this
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Heh, funny timing. But you are right, wasn't expecting to see some of these writers, especially Chip. Thought he was Marvel exclusive? Either way, I think I'm more curious about the guide book and seeing this world explored more through the heroes.
    Yeah I might pick up the heroes guidebook, if I hear good things maybe the evil Batman book. I’m much more interested in learning about where a black lantern ring came from over the Bat monster truck.

I wonder if the whole Cloaked figure writing a guidebook will be important though.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    And Garth Ennis is even more surprising.

Also: Thanks to a recent interview by Scott, We know Jonah Hex and Superboy-Prime are in this
    I’m not a Garth Ennis fan so didn’t really care about him, not a fan of his style of writing.

Also I knew about Jonah Hex because Capullo spoiled with Art, but surprised to hear about Superboy Prime. That’s odd to me cause last I heard Geoff John’s was having him fight the Shazam family and JSA over in Shazam and Bendis was using him to talk about what’s going on with Young Justice....Superboy Prime’s making a lot of appearances I guess.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-14-2020 at 07:45 AM.
    Words to live by.

How the hell did Snyder get Ennis to write not just a superhero story but an event tie-in? Lmao I gotta read that. Ellis is writing B-Rex’s origin? Yeah this sounds great. Wonder what Priest and Zdarsky will be writing? Also it sounds like there will be more tie-ins, this will just be the first wave.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, Zdarsky is the biggest surprise to me.

Yeah I might pick up the heroes guidebook, if I hear good things maybe the evil Batman book. I’m much more interested in learning about where a black lantern ring came from over the Bat monster truck.

I wonder if the whole Cloaked figure writing a guidebook will be important though.

I’m not a Garth Ennis fan so didn’t really care about him, not a fan of his style of writing.

Also I knew about Jonah Hex because Capullo spoiled with Art, but surprised to hear about Superboy Prime. That’s odd to me cause last I heard Geoff John’s was having him fight the Shazam family and JSA over in Shazam and Bendis was using him to talk about what’s going on with Young Justice....Superboy Prime’s making a lot of appearances I guess.
    Prime was straight up confirmed for Young Justice by the Artist. Johns himself had said that Prime will "probably" appear in an Event soon
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe