Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

and now DC has already set up the next crisis tier event
    I do have to say Batman who laughs was more interesting as a master planner making him all powerful in the DCU omniverse and basically trying to destroy everything makes him lose a bit of his charm
    also his in darkest night design isn't as good as his BWL persona

So I want to talk about the Rise of the New God, because frankly I’m stumped by it a bit. See I’m not sure if it’s essential reading or not or honestly what happened because it sells itself pretty much as this is the issue where Darkest Knight finally kills Perpetua....but it’s actually not. Don’t get me wrong they do fight and I’m sure we will see it within the next main event issue but it actually takes a turn and something else happens, and it’s at that point I got to go into spoilers pretty much for the rest of this.

spoilers:
    So as Perpetua and Darkest Knight fight, a doorway opens up and out steps someone called the Chronicler. Apparently he’s from the omniverse outside of the multiverse (I’m sure Grant Morrison had a hand in this from that statement) and he’s come to chronicle the death of the multiverse.

So he goes around to various characters with knowledge of the multiverse and it’s reboots, that being Psycho Pirate and Vril Dox (Brainiac 2), and the Chronicler begins to question not only why this multiverse is dying but also I guess begins to fall under it’s allure so he does something that gives the title double meaning...he revives the New God Metron. And this is where it gets weird because basically the two have a discussion about basically this Chronicler wants to save our Multiverse because he feels belief in it and possibly that the multiverse has also effected him in some way so as to save itself (that part is confusing). And so a being above even Perpetua has appeared and is now here to save the multiverse I guess.

Now this easily could have just been Darkest Knight killing Perpetua but I have to give it props a little for thinking, no we can go even bigger then the multiverse. I’m honestly interested in where this madness goes and how it connects to the rest of the story now that we are passing the halfway point.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So I want to talk about the Rise of the New God, because frankly I’m stumped by it a bit. See I’m not sure if it’s essential reading or not or honestly what happened because it sells itself pretty much as this is the issue where Darkest Knight finally kills Perpetua....but it’s actually not. Don’t get me wrong they do fight and I’m sure we will see it within the next main event issue but it actually takes a turn and something else happens, and it’s at that point I got to go into spoilers pretty much for the rest of this.

spoilers:
    So as Perpetua and Darkest Knight fight, a doorway opens up and out steps someone called the Chronicler. Apparently he’s from the omniverse outside of the multiverse (I’m sure Grant Morrison had a hand in this from that statement) and he’s come to chronicle the death of the multiverse.

So he goes around to various characters with knowledge of the multiverse and it’s reboots, that being Psycho Pirate and Vril Dox (Brainiac 2), and the Chronicler begins to question not only why this multiverse is dying but also I guess begins to fall under it’s allure so he does something that gives the title double meaning...he revives the New God Metron. And this is where it gets weird because basically the two have a discussion about basically this Chronicler wants to save our Multiverse because he feels belief in it and possibly that the multiverse has also effected him in some way so as to save itself (that part is confusing). And so a being above even Perpetua has appeared and is now here to save the multiverse I guess.

Now this easily could have just been Darkest Knight killing Perpetua but I have to give it props a little for thinking, no we can go even bigger then the multiverse. I’m honestly interested in where this madness goes and how it connects to the rest of the story now that we are passing the halfway point.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I really hope he’s not going to just be a Deus Ex Machina device like the magic wishing Metal of Snyder’s first event lol.
    end of spoilers
    Otherwise I thought this was a great issue. I can’t help but wonder what this event would be like if Tynion had been handling it instead of Snyder, I’ve enjoyed his tie-in issues far more than the main event. It’s a shame Tynion seems to have decided to go fully creator owned after his Batman run because he’s definitely becoming one of my favorite writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The tie-ins are basically required at this point.
    Isn't that how it is with event stories nowadays.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Isn't that how it is with event stories nowadays.
    From my experience not really, it’s normally just treated as a way to drive up sales by either telling people it connects to the story so that either they will read the main story or perhaps try the ongoing currently interrupted to tie in. The tie-ins normally don’t have any real impact on the main event, because normally the main event writer isn’t on the tie-ins and it would be weird if sat a random issue of the Suicide Squad suddenly threw a huge wrench into an event about the sinestro corps.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Universe
    Multiverse
    Omniverse
    Megaverse
    Alphaverse
    Unimanifestverse
    Mightyverse
    BigAssverse
    Scrapple and Spam
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    spoilers:
    I really hope he’s not going to just be a Deus Ex Machina device like the magic wishing Metal of Snyder’s first event lol.
    end of spoilers
    Otherwise I thought this was a great issue. I can’t help but wonder what this event would be like if Tynion had been handling it instead of Snyder, I’ve enjoyed his tie-in issues far more than the main event. It’s a shame Tynion seems to have decided to go fully creator owned after his Batman run because he’s definitely becoming one of my favorite writers.
    The other tie in issue were kind hit or miss but I really enjoyed this one. It’s funny that the backdrop is two gods in the middle of a death battle but it’s mostly exposition. Gotta say, I love the Chronicler. He’s a cosmic bureaucrat! He even has a brief case.

As soon as he entered this multiverse he was already compromised. Metron was basically saying what Dr. Manhattan had to figure out. It’s a reality of constant change but it can’t be control and will always try to right itself (with mixed results). It’s funny to see The Chronicler try to figure out DC continuity. He’s dealing with what DC fans have been going through for the past few years.

Also liked the backup story. So cool to see Bombshell Batwoman, Stan Lee’s Just Imagine Shazam, a versions of Savage Dragon, the Earth 6 Marvel superheroes, etc. get offered a GL ring!

Something to note about Bomshell Batwoman being present, this is the first time the Bombshell earth has been shown as part of the 52. I'm not complaining- I'm glad it's part of it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Something to note about Bomshell Batwoman being present, this is the first time the Bombshell earth has been shown as part of the 52. I'm not complaining- I'm glad it's part of it.
    I think a lot of the long-running mini-imprints they have will continue to keep appearing. The Bombshell brand sold well, I think.

I like fabulously gay Aquaman from Bombshells. I want a team-up of him and Jason Mamoa Aquaman.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Full lineup for Dark Nights: Death Metal The Last Stories of the DCU:

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/stat...14074006269952

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

Main takeways:

- Joshua Williamson making his pitch for Titans?

- Which GL is Lemire writing?

- Gail Simone writing Ollie and Dinah? She isn't the biggest fan of the relationship, so kind of curious where that goes.

- Is Castellucci going to have Batgirl complain about everybody again or mention her relationship with Jason Bard?

- Mark Waid and Francis Manapul on Superman? Gimme .

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

I'm just hoping this Tamaki story doesn't involve Max Lord.

Great lineup, very much looking forward to that tie-in. Curious if there’s any hints about what’s coming in March there.

Incredible Member

I've been pretty underwhelmed by the event so far, as well as the tie-ins.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Dark Multiverse - Hush issue though. Unlike all the other evil Batman issues that told the same story over and over (Batman.... but different due to this inciting event), this one instead put the focus on different characters. To me, that helped it seem more like a real world that I wouldn't mind seeing a series in, as opposed to just a setting created one time to introduce the evil Batman.

Cassandra never gets the respect she deserves though.

Please don't give Castellucci that upcoming Bat-Family book. Please. I'm begging you.