Page 48 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

oh wow they went off on Titans now that Didio's gone

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    Please don't give Castellucci that upcoming Bat-Family book. Please. I'm begging you.
    Lol any reason why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    oh wow they went off on Titans now that Didio's gone
    The franchise needs a big name frankly, let’s hope it’s the start of a new era.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol any reason why?
    I'm just really not a fan of her writing. Out of the five writers who've had a Barbara Batgirl run since the New 52, I personally find hers to be the worst. I also didn't like her Female Furies and how modern writers handle the Fourth World, but that's another conversation altogether. The reason specifically why I would not want Castellucci to write a Bat-Family book in particular is how Castellucci wrote Cassandra Cain in a Batgirl #50 D&D backup. Not only are Cass' speech problems replaced by the eloquence of a native English speaker, but Castellucci mischaracterises Cass as stealth fighter who dislikes direct conflict. Cass IS stealthy, but only as a consequence of her advanced training. Besides that, Cass is primarily a hand-to-hand brawler, since she excels at it so much. If Cass was playing D&D, she'd be a monk no question. But anyway, including my dislike for her writing generally and the so-far 0-2 characterisation accuracy ratio on the Bat-Family, I feel as she has presented herself thus far she would not be a good fit at all for the book.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The big one was how she made Babs treated Dick post amnesia, which is inconsistent with how she's written during when he's amnesia both in Batgirl and Nightwing books. The other one is how she made her apologize to Bard even though Bard framed her dad for mass manslaughter and destroyed the evidence... so they can pair romantically. There's also how Commissioner Gordon's now thought Batgirl's responsible for his son's death... again.

Babs also got jealous at Tim and Dick getting allowance/stipend from Bruce when she's not his daughter and she did get funding from him at first but it was her who decided to go independent after her gears burned down.

Basically, signs show she's taking elements from previous stories without understanding it.

They're all in Batgirl #50, that some fans have called the issue where Babs complained to everyone (and they're not even the right complaints)

Yeah, if her Batgirl is any indication I'm not confident in her writing a Batfamily dynamic.

Got it. I flipped through Batgirl #50 since I had a friend who was following that, aside from the pretty art it was nothing special. I did notice that she didn’t get Cass’ speech patterns right and it always annoys me when writers just ignore that. I’ve got no clue who Bard even is, sounds like another crap OC LI.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Got it. I flipped through Batgirl #50 since I had a friend who was following that, aside from the pretty art it was nothing special. I did notice that she didn’t get Cass’ speech patterns right and it always annoys me when writers just ignore that. I’ve got no clue who Bard even is, sounds like another crap OC LI.
    He actually has history with Babs dating back to the Bronze Age, but they kind of revamped him into a bad guy in the New 52, which made doing the relationship now come off as disingenuous.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Found this on Twitter, it was posted 10/29, but I didn't see the image here.

I posted just the link to the image, as I wasn't sure that would be considered a spoiler.

Death Metal: The Last Stories of the DC Universe #1 is coming out in December. This special is filled with great creators telling amazing and emotional stories. Check out this two-page spread by @TravisGMoore & @TBonvillain. Just a preview of how stunning our Titans story is.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Elgrr0cU...jpg&name=large

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Main takeways:

- Joshua Williamson making his pitch for Titans?

- Which GL is Lemire writing?

- Gail Simone writing Ollie and Dinah? She isn't the biggest fan of the relationship, so kind of curious where that goes.

- Is Castellucci going to have Batgirl complain about everybody again or mention her relationship with Jason Bard?

- Mark Waid and Francis Manapul on Superman? Gimme .
    The title "Last Knights" make me think it might be more than one of them.

If there’s one character that epitomizes the wacky over-the-top aspects of Death Metal, it’s Lobo. Looking forward to seeing the Main Man in Infinite Hour Exxxtreme!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Full lineup for Dark Nights: Death Metal The Last Stories of the DCU:

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/stat...14074006269952
    I'm always cautious about "Batfamily" stories because it's rarely ever the ones I'm hoping for. me nah care bout Bruce and his likkle clones; if Cass gonna be missing, if Duke gonna be missing, I typically check out. besides Tynion and Gail Simone, none of these are grabbing me off name alone. we'll see how this go.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm always cautious about "Batfamily" stories because it's rarely ever the ones I'm hoping for. me nah care bout Bruce and his likkle clones; if Cass gonna be missing, if Duke gonna be missing, I typically check out. besides Tynion and Gail Simone, none of these are grabbing me off name alone. we'll see how this go.
    You can never really count on who exactly will appear in a Batfamily story, but I think Cass probably has a good chance of showing up.

I think a much more pertinent question is whether Castelluci will actually write them well.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The big one was how she made Babs treated Dick post amnesia, which is inconsistent with how she's written during when he's amnesia both in Batgirl and Nightwing books. The other one is how she made her apologize to Bard even though Bard framed her dad for mass manslaughter and destroyed the evidence... so they can pair romantically. There's also how Commissioner Gordon's now thought Batgirl's responsible for his son's death... again.

Babs also got jealous at Tim and Dick getting allowance/stipend from Bruce when she's not his daughter and she did get funding from him at first but it was her who decided to go independent after her gears burned down.

Basically, signs show she's taking elements from previous stories without understanding it.

They're all in Batgirl #50, that some fans have called the issue where Babs complained to everyone (and they're not even the right complaints)
    Ok I thought it was just me but didn't Gail Simone do the same exact storyline with Gordon thinking that Batgirl killed his son?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Ok I thought it was just me but didn't Gail Simone do the same exact storyline with Gordon thinking that Batgirl killed his son?
    Yes. That's part of why everyone complained about it.

Issue 5 was pretty good. Pretty straightforward and easy to follow which is nice, and it feels like the event is actually living up to the “Metal” vibe with Diana leading an army of Lobos into the World Forge.

Williamson did a solid job of the JL tie-ins, felt like the ending was satisfying if unsurprisingly.