Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast

You know I heard a review lately, and while we don’t know what’s going to happen come March it did bring something to mind. It stated that for the first time that with the image of Duke standing in front of the hundreds of heroes preparing for battle as the evil multiverse is literally thrown at them that for the first time this series feels like an actual crisis but also adds weight to the upcoming tie-ins (Last Stories and last 52) in that the dc universe is ending, as we know it at least, and no body knows what it will look like.

I’m not sure if others agree with that statement, I’ve just been thinking about it is all.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Yeah you can safely pass on the Multiverse Who Laughs. The Steel story was good but the rest were meh. Didn’t feel relevant at all to the overall event either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah you can safely pass on the Multiverse Who Laughs. The Steel story was good but the rest were meh. Didn’t feel relevant at all to the overall event either.
    Yeah, I do not want to disparage any writers because I know I am not going to write better but really if I had anything to say it is that just skip any of the books that focus solely on the Dark Multiverse version of characters. The stuff that focuses on our heroes and play into the plot are not only important but genuinely better written.

Like I enjoyed Doom Metal, Speed Metal, Trinity Crisis, Multiverses end, and Rise of the new god (I haven't read the Lobo book).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Capullo really putting in the work with the final issue: https://twitter.com/GregCapullo/stat...30533097762818

It must be really hard knowing you can't miss the deadline because DC's entire line relies on the final issue of death metal.

Writing aside, no one can say the art isn't top tier.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It must be really hard knowing you can't miss the deadline because DC's entire line relies on the final issue of death metal.
    Didn't stop Secret Wars from delays at Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Writing aside, no one can say the art isn't top tier.
    Capullo always brings his a-game .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Capullo really putting in the work with the final issue: https://twitter.com/GregCapullo/stat...30533097762818

I'll **** on the writing all day but Capullo kills it on each page and nobody can question the dude's work ethic.

Quote Originally Posted by iioo View Post
    Didn't stop Secret Wars from delays at Marvel
    You registered just to take a shot at Marvel? That takes me back.

Well this week’s tie-in was the opposite of the last one, this one was great! Every single story was good.

Spectacular Member

So I dropped this after issue #3 because it just didn't grab me and I saw all these $5.99 were coming and I did not feel like spending that much money on this event.

And I know it's selling quite well -

But it seems like the excitement level on this book is minimal. In terms of discussion here (I had to search to find this thread), reviews, etc. it feels like no one cares about this event.

For those of you reading it I have two questions

1. How essential have all the tie in books been? Will I understand what's happening if I just read issues 1-7 of the main mini?

2. Have you enjoyed this thus far?

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    So I dropped this after issue #3 because it just didn't grab me and I saw all these $5.99 were coming and I did not feel like spending that much money on this event.

And I know it's selling quite well -

But it seems like the excitement level on this book is minimal. In terms of discussion here (I had to search to find this thread), reviews, etc. it feels like no one cares about this event.

For those of you reading it I have two questions

1. How essential have all the tie in books been? Will I understand what's happening if I just read issues 1-7 of the main mini?

2. Have you enjoyed this thus far?
    1. I’d say about 3, maybe 4 depending on what happens next, are truly essential. If I had to name them it would be Trinity Crisis, Speed Metal, and Multiverses End. Those three are actually used to fill in for plot elements that are actually somewhat essential to the main plot. I would argue for Rise of the New God depending on what happens next based on the events of that story. Some tie-ins like Justice League and The Lobo one (It’s got a ridiculously long title) explain certain plot points but aren’t exactly 100% necessary for the main story.

Personally my favorites have been Speed Metal and Last Stories of the dc universe.

2. Yes I have been enjoying it. I’m not taking events too seriously, in fact at times it feels more like a comedy or a joke then an actual serious crisis just based on how absurd it can get. But it also has characters and moments that I genuinely like and enjoy, Wally West gets his moments to shine, the JSA are around, all the earth bound green lanterns together on a mission, Cyborg remembers his time with the Titans, and etc. Maybe you don’t care about Perpetua or Batman Who Laughs/Dark Multiverse, I think it’s alright, but the stuff happening around that is enjoyable and filled with characters I like.
    Last edited by sifighter; 12-10-2020 at 06:21 AM.
    Words to live by.

It's hard to discuss a story as shallow as this one. Plus, Snyder spoiled all the important parts before the first issue came out.

1. There are necessary tie ins, like Speed Metal and the like. Essentially all the tie ins except Dark multiverse ones have significance.

2. No

Astonishing Member

Trinity Crisis, Speed Metal and, probably, Secret Origin with Superboy Prime are essential, everything else is up to reader's choice, I think.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I have been enjoying a lot of the tie-in issues more than the main series, which has mostly been fun but really stupid.

Whereas Trinity Crisis, Speed Metal and Last Stories of the DCU have been more compelling than whatever Snyder's been trying to do.

Spectacular Member

Okay, I followed y'all's advice and was selective on which tie ins to read. Read Speed Metal, Robin King, Trinity Crisis and Last Stories along with Death Metal 1-5.

Uh...this is really, really bad. Like....bad

Few qualifiers - I would consider myself a pretty big Scott Snyder fan. His Batman run was excellent. And I liked the original DC Metal series. it didn't make a ton of sense but it was a fun throw things at the wall series and the art was amazing. I will admit I had trouble with his Justice League, I truly hated the ending, but I understand it was setting up this series. But this series makes no goddamned sense. I've been reading comics since i was four years old (I'm 35 now). I think I've read every previous crossover at the Big Two I would like to think I have a decent grasp on the nonsense science, plot devices, crazy twists and energies of superhero stories. But this series has finally broken my brain. I have so many questions:

1. Do people actually like the Batman who Laughs? Is that what I'm missing? He's actually popular? Because he's just the worst. A horrible design (Cennobite meets Spawn meets Venom). But he's like..actually popular?

2. He's so popular that people now like this Robin King thing? With dead bodies being put in Flash rings? This is what DC Comics is now?

3. What did I miss in between the end of Snyder's Justice League and the start of issue one of Death Metal? How did Batman die? What the hell is going on with Flash having Dr. Manhattan powers? And why does the Mobius Chair matter? Why was Wonder Woman working with the evil Batmen? I got that she was being blackmailed with the Amazons at risk but where are they? Why haven't the amazons been killed if she's now trying to fight the evil Batmen?

4. What the hell Crisis/anti-crisis/dark multiverse energy? How are they different? How does it work? Who has access to it?. How is it wielded?

5. Why are there random pages in the main mini that have ugly, hard to see art with just text boxes over it?

6. Where did the Justice Society come from? Why does Jay say he'll never forget Wally "again"? Have we seen him in the Rebirth era and I missed it? Is this from Doomsday Clock? I feel like I would've known if they had reintroduced the Justice Society in the main books but I'll admit I may have missed it. But really, WHERE DID THEY COME FROM?

7. Why is the Speed Force energy being used up? Who is doing that? The Batman who Laughs I assume? Is that in a Flash tie in or we're just supposed to accept that dropped bit of info as part of his machinations?

8. Who is the Dr. Manhattan Bruce Wayne the BWL puts his brain into? Just some other Dr. Manhattan character?

9. What happened to the big Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman robot that debuted after issue 2? In Issue 3 it's just destroyed on page one. We just didn't see what happened with that? That's how you end an issue cliffhanger?

10. Why are they all friends with Harley Quinn? Didn't she kill like...LOTS of children in her New 52 Villain issue that Matt Kindt wrote? Like...a lot? They're just cool with that now because she's popular?

11. How are all the characters getting to all the other earths in Multiverse's End? The Carrier I guess? When did they get that?

12. What exactly happened with Superboy Prime? How did he and Wonder Woman save Batman and SUperman from the Crisis of Infinite Earths or Final Crisis worlds? What Earths were those? I thought they were traveling to the past to those events but those were different Earth's where those events are just happening in perpetuity?

13. Why is Proxima not getting any development if she's the big bad?

14. If Wally West has Doctor Manhattan powers why isn't he more powerful?

15. Why has Wally West been forgiven for killing people in Heroes in Crisis? He's just a hero again?

16. What was that moment in issue five of Death Metal where Batman admits he's dead and Superman says there is no changing him back? What was the reveal there? What were we supposed to take away from that? Why was that played like a big confession scene? It didn't change anything

17. On a structural level, why are some of these tie-ins not part of the main series? What's the advantage of that? Trinity Crisis was an essential part of the story it seemed to me and yet it was its own one-shot at a higher price? Why wasn't the main mini just 8 parts?

I'll freely admit the answers to some of these questions might be in the mini and I missed them, or in tie-ins that I haven't read, but I find this just bewildering.

I. Hated. This. All the spectacular Capullo art in the world couldn't save this nonsense. I am shocked it's not a bigger story what a mess this miniseries is. Is this fallout of Didio's firing, DC changing their 5G plans and Doomsday Clock coming out so late and being such a dud? Is that why this is such a mess?
    Last edited by Hcmarvel; 12-11-2020 at 07:37 AM.