Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

I'm still not sure what the point of all this is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To shill BWL and fool the 'dark and edgy= mature and good crowd' into thinking this event isn't trash.

You think Lois and Clark remember all the times they were douches to each other in the Silver Age now?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    You think Lois and Clark remember all the times they were douches to each other in the Silver Age now?
    You don’t need to even go back to the Silver Age to find examples of that plenty of Post Crisis and New 52 stuff to remember. I am curious if they’ll get the full memories of everything that happened in their previous “lives”.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

15. Because HiC sucked and it will be retconned away and forgotten
    Wally's role in HiC was already retconned. It was Thawne and Negative Speed Force hypnosis making him and other speedsters behave out of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Harley’s always been a murderer and a criminal, as far as I can tell she’s never “forgotten” that, she just gets off scott free.
    Yeah, but whenever someone brings up her killing kids, it's always brung up "that's not canon anymore!". So now if everything's canon, that means that that story is canon again.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    Wally's role in HiC was already retconned. It was Thawne and Negative Speed Force hypnosis making him and other speedsters behave out of character.
    I think people don't bring this up as often since HiC was on a lot more high-profile level than the "revelation" about Thawne. That was basically one page of Thawne bragging about making Wally behave out of character, while HiC was an "event" story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Haven't read this yet but does Wally West play any part in this issue?
    Wally's only purpose was to hand over his one unique part of this event to the Batman Who Laughs. He's been irrelevant since Speed Metal.

Incredible Member

This issue only further for me the major complaint I have with this event - things are happening entirely at a meta level. The conflict is on an abstract level (Good vs Evil), with BWL basically announcing in this issue that his only purpose is to destroy things. So essentially, BWL is just a hurricane and not a character.

Its made me not care about the heroes in this event, since the protagonists is essentially DC comics the corporate entity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    This issue only further for me the major complaint I have with this event - things are happening entirely at a meta level. The conflict is on an abstract level (Good vs Evil), with BWL basically announcing in this issue that his only purpose is to destroy things. So essentially, BWL is just a hurricane and not a character.

Its made me not care about the heroes in this event, since the protagonists is essentially DC comics the corporate entity.
    Story doesn't feel meta to me. It's like a silly person heard the definition of meta, grossly misinterpreted it, started writing whatever stupidity popped into their head and threw in a bunch of philosophical crap at the last minute to make the storyline seem deep. The philosophical crap makes things worse, because its actually barely coherent rambling about a vague theme when the story had no theme to begin with.

BWL is, was and always will be a mistake.

I don't see the point of everyone remembering "everything" because it just seems like an excuse for continuity being anything goes, and we get enough of that as is. Doesn't really solve anything.

Astonishing Member

I don't see the point of everyone remembering "everything" because it just seems like an excuse for continuity being anything goes, and we get enough of that as is. Doesn't really solve anything.
    I don't understand it either, they could easily ignore continuity like they have always done. The only way this makes sense is if DC plans characters to have identity issues due to all these conflicting memories.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Looks like our long, incoherent nightmare is almost over. Just one more issue of this nonsense and we can move on to hopefully better things. For all my concerns about Future State, it can't be worse than this.
    More like the incoherent nightmare has just become the status quo. We knew they had been going in this direction but this was the official beginning of “everything happened” and the end of one standard continuity in the DCU.

Death Metal really is the anti-Crisis. A Crisis event usually tries to reestablish order, while this series has killed the concept of a coherent timeline of events.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Wasn't the approach more that they remember all of the Crisises and stuff, but their history is unchanged? More like a higher concept version of the multiverse? I really hate the "everything happened" approach because then shit like "Jason was a circus brat but also a car tire thief," "Dinah/her mom's body shennanigans is true but Ollie also was super unfaithful and now isn't but hey don't think about it" and "Arthur/Mera had a dead son but not anymore well kind of just STOP THINKING ABOUT IT, WE SAID IT HAPPENED" is a thing.

They keep trying to tell us to stop taking continuity so seriously but all they want to do is try and clean up continuity. I get this is Snyder's "let's just accept it all and move on" moment but the statement is essentially dumping fourteen different jigsaw puzzles on the same table and asking "isn't the collective puzzle awesome?"

No, you just jammed a shit ton of shit together and marveled at it. Now we've got a mess nobody is qualified to clean up. It's like Scott looked at Donna Troy and the Hawks and said "hold my beer."

Man, this whole comic really does come across like a massive bong rip.

To make a Wonder Woman event without not having anything remotely related to Diana be the plot. Hell, even the lasso of truth needed to be made edgy because how dare someone think Diana is cool as herself instead of Xena-lite. Snyder just doesn't get Diana. He likes to talk in platitudes about battle and truth and that's about it. He seems nice, but frankly Death Metal has only kind of pushed the idea that Diana needs someone else (Clark or Bruce) to latch onto for mojo if she wants to headline the big leagues.

And that's the worst Wonder Woman take there is. No offense to Snyder or anyone involved with the book, but goddamn if I am not glad for dropping it at the first issue. Every page that I see in previews or on reddit is just killing me. I bought this one digital because I heard some rumblings about what goes on and basically Diana takes a notsundip while The Batman Who Sucks and Perpetua play dodgeball. It's a whole lotta nothing that looks great because Capullo is the man, but it's just the loudest, wettest fart.

It really does come across like breaking a ship in a bottle so you stop getting asked how it got in there, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Wally's only purpose was to hand over his one unique part of this event to the Batman Who Laughs. He's been irrelevant since Speed Metal.
    Yeah, this was borderline offensive given that he was hyped up to be important. He was literally a snack for the big bad. I know it's important to get proper nutrition but I was hoping for a little more for the poor guy.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-15-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Hypertime is what this is all leading to and I was, once again, not nearly stoned enough to have enjoyed this issue beyond Capullo's beautiful, beautiful art.