Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Hypertime is what this is all leading to and I was, once again, not nearly stoned enough to have enjoyed this issue beyond Capullo's beautiful, beautiful art.
    Capullo will forever be the asterisk that gives this book value. If DC ever loses him because someone offers him more, they're fools.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Capullo will forever be the asterisk that gives this book value. If DC ever loses him because someone offers him more, they're fools.
    I feel like Capullo is much better on solo character titles instead of these big story arcs with a lot of characters and you could tell he was pushing himself to deliver some great art while he was working on the book based on his Twitter/Instagram posts. Hope his next week is more indie story.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I feel like Capullo is much better on solo character titles instead of these big story arcs with a lot of characters and you could tell he was pushing himself to deliver some great art while he was working on the book based on his Twitter/Instagram posts. Hope his next week is more indie story.
    If nothing else, Capullo deserves both a break and high credit for all the work he's put into this.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Wasn't the approach more that they remember all of the Crisises and stuff, but their history is unchanged? More like a higher concept version of the multiverse? I really hate the "everything happened" approach because then shit like "Jason was a circus brat but also a car tire thief," "Dinah/her mom's body shennanigans is true but Ollie also was super unfaithful and now isn't but hey don't think about it" and "Arthur/Mera had a dead son but not anymore well kind of just STOP THINKING ABOUT IT, WE SAID IT HAPPENED" is a thing.
    If I'm right and the endgame is indeed Hypertime, it wouldn't quite work like that. At this moment, yes, everyone remembers everything, but once the Multiverse is reborn and everyone goes back to their lives again, those memories of all their past lives and incarnations would fade as they are immersed in whatever Hypertime stream they are currently in.

So, the Jason Todd of the regular DCU, for instance, wouldn't ever need to remember being a red headed circus kid unless his Hypertime stream split off from the main "river" or that old Pre-Crisis tributary in which Jason had Dick's origin somehow remerged with the DCU again (which is highly unlikely). It essentially frees up creators to use any old stories if they want to use them for a current story without having to worry about whether or not it effects the larger DCU.

Another good example would be Dinah & Ollie. All their past incarnations would still exist if any creator chooses to use any of that old material, but they don't need to incorporate it, which will very likely be the case in regards to Ollie's multiple cases of infidelity and Dinah's brief Pre-Crisis origins retcon. Moving forward, I would expect Dinah & Ollie to be a couple again, married in all but name, with Dinah keeping her strongest origin to date as the daughter of the 1940s Dinah Drake (who I'd love to be revealed as biracial because that'd be a cool new wrinkle to her Golden Age incarnation).

As for Superman, Lois, Supergirl & Jon, I suspect the fact that this family has been so knee-deep in Multiversal/Temporal shenanigans for so long that their DCU selves might emerge from this latest reset a little more self-aware than most in terms of all their past incarnations. I think Superman, in particular, will retain a lot more of his memories this time around. Ma & Pa Kent may be alive again, but I think Clark will remember all the times they were dead, even if they don't--and that will weigh on him to a certain degree. I think Kara Zor-El, along with the world, will finally remember her Pre-Crisis incarnation and how, like her cousin, heroically sacrificed her life and came back from the dead. I also expect Jon Kent to be aware that his childhood was anything but normal, being conceived in a bottled city outside of time and growing up across multiple alternate Earths and timelines. Not that it will affect him all that much. He'll still be the same character taking all the craziness that his family is always involved with in stride.

However, I think those characters will be the outliers. The vast majority of the DCU will be completely unaware that they've lived multiple lives because that fact wouldn't have much impact on the stories that are being told with them.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The story is taking too long to tell. I wish they would hurry and wrap it up, already.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Spectacular Member

Well, I'm seeing this series through to the end. But this was another issue that did little to impress me.

Even Capullo's art, which is excellent, is not really in service of anything that exciting. The action in this issue is mostly just panoramas of heroes standing around, and the fisticuffs we do see is mostly just generic punching. Nothing overly clever or invigorating in terms of power use, team ups, etc. Snyder fails to give us any memorable moments in this fight. Instead of feeling like a kids slamming his action figures together, this reads like an adult fan posing all his figures in a cool battle diorama. It's just not as fun as it should be.

And if this is all just building to a "everything happened, it all matters, use whatever continuity you want, 'one universe'," type reboot...that just strikes me as sort of lazy. Instead of doing the work to make everything fit together, or set up a timeline that makes sense, they decided to just throw their hands in the air, admit they screwed up the last 5-10 years of continuity, and kind of give up. Maybe they're right. There really might not have been a way to fit post crisis, new 52, rebirth, doomsday clock etc all together but this just seems like the cheapest possible answer to that problem.

I remember a review of Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice that said something like they were excited for the scene where Superman would talk to Congress but that scene must have been too hard to write so the screenwriter just blew everything up instead. This feels like that to me. Rather than fix the problem, Snyder and editorial are just kind of blowing everything up and saying "Everything matters!" which is kind of the same as saying "nothing matters".

Would I want another full reboot? Not really. I don't think that would have been the answer either, I'm not sure there was a good answer at this point, but I'm not very satisfied by the one they seem to be choosing.

So hey it turns out that Secret Origin that came out today is not only a look into the life of Superboy prime but also probably pretty important to the plot and will have something that readers may enjoy and want to see.

What is that you may ask? Well spoilers below.

spoilers:
    Prime beats the Batman who laughs and erase his 52 dark worlds. That’s right in a tie-in the alternate universe Superman just walloped the main villain of the event, ironically an overpowered Batman. But yeah if you’ve been waiting for someone to punch out the One who laughs, that will at least be enjoyable here.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So hey it turns out that Secret Origin that came out today is not only a look into the life of Superboy prime but also probably pretty important to the plot and will have something that readers may enjoy and want to see.

spoilers:
    Prime beats the Batman who laughs and erase his 52 dark worlds. That’s right in a tie-in the alternate universe Superman just walloped the main villain of the event, ironically an overpowered Batman. But yeah if you’ve been waiting for someone to punch out the One who laughs, that will at least be enjoyable here.
    end of spoilers
    I...I don't even know what to say to this .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I...I don't even know what to say to this .
    Probably thank Krypto for being a good dog.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm sitting here wondering what stops the BWL from just making more worlds. He did it effortlessly before.

Superboy Prime's story was touching at least. Clearly Johns' writing.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I'm sitting here wondering what stops the BWL from just making more worlds. He did it effortlessly before.

Superboy Prime's story was touching at least. Clearly Johns' writing.
    Wasn’t that the whole reason that Superman and the villains trashed the earth in Death Metal #5? Because it was the center of the multiverse and by destroying it they cut off Batman who laughs from its power that he was using to make other earths. So effectively the heroes cut him off from the source to make more worlds and Prime just smashed the ones he made.
    Words to live by.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I’m assuming BWLs isn’t finished here because otherwise lmao, poor WW. The “star” of an event where a formerly evil Superman kicks the evil Batman’s ass. That’s pretty damn ironic and funny.
    end of spoilers

Yeah this tie in is absolutely essential to understanding this event. Johns did a good job here.

It was jarring to have Johns coherent writing in the middle of Snyder’s insanity.

Probably thank Krypto for being a good dog.
    I do everyday.

“Who’s a good boy?!? Who helps save the multiverse?!?”
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-22-2020 at 08:37 PM.

I absolutely LOVED seeing Superboy Prime in this one shot. Weird that it’s a tie in yet pretty damn essential... I’m glad it ended the way it did. I just came off rereading the COIE a couple weeks ago, so this was really nice.

BANNED

BatKekBros, we got cocky.