Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    I have seen you on and off in this forum but do you mind telling your favourite X characters?
    I’m not an massive X-Fan tbh but I appreciate certain runs. I’d probably say Kitty, Emma Frost and Cable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    I’m not an massive X-Fan tbh but I appreciate certain runs. I’d probably say Kitty, Emma Frost and Cable.
    Thanks Nowadays I feel like I am more favorable towards X-Men as a whole. Not only Wolverine.
    Last edited by Vishop; 02-16-2020 at 01:52 PM.

BANNED

Squirrel Girl.

She bested Iron Fist and Wolverine both (according to Bendis).

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Echo and Taskmaster since they both can mimic the fighting styles of anyone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Have you been reading Hickman's X-Men lately?

Breaking this up by the books I read, though I know Iron Fist, Daredevil, and Shang Chi would be in the upper echelons of the best fighter tiers:

X-Verse
    Wolverine, Psylocke, Gambit, Domino, Nightcrawler, Storm, Cyclops, Kitty, Cable, and X-23

Avengers Verse
    Steve Rogers, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Falcon/New Cap, She Hulk, Thor, Mockingbird and Jessica Drew

Misc - FF/Inhumans/GotG
    Sue Storm, Doom, Thing, Karnak, Moon Dragon, Drax, Mantis and Gamora

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Again, his powerset greatly defines his fighing style. If you've got built in claws, you're more likely to train to fight with your hands than your feet. That said, he spent so much time learning so much of various combat style in Japan it's almost impossible for me not to assume he doesn't know how to throw a kick or two if the need called for it. With an unbreakable skeleton, healing factor, and adamantium claws which can almost cut through anything it's pretty to imagine in most hand to hand fights he wants to stay as close as possible and exchange blows, even if it means taking a hit to give one, as he will come out ahead in most exhcanges short of trading shots with the Hulk or the Juggernaut.
    It's not just his power set and augmentations, but his physical attributes that determine Wolverine's fighting style.

I'll say it again, he is only 5' 3". Now take away his mutant powers and enhancements, including healing, greater muscle mass, stamina, longevity, reaction time, etc. He still has to fight close range, because he doesn't have wingspan or reach. His striking area of effectiveness is very shallow. Kicking extends that to some degree, but not by much. Why? His legs are short, too. This is a comic book environment, so I won't bother getting too much into real world dynamics, but trust me when I say that there is a reason why we have different classes and rankings in just about every sanctioned form of martial art sport.

We can only hope that Wolverine as a "normal" human would have peak human speed and uncanny durability, because he's going to get hit often. Usually, characters like that get a weapon, armor, or some type of power to bridge the gap. To Marvel's credit, they did just that.

Puck!!!!!!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It's not just his power set and augmentations, but his physical attributes that determine Wolverine's fighting style.

I'll say it again, he is only 5' 3". Now take away his mutant powers and enhancements, including healing, greater muscle mass, stamina, longevity, reaction time, etc. He still has to fight close range, because he doesn't have wingspan or reach. His striking area of effectiveness is very shallow. Kicking extends that to some degree, but not by much. Why? His legs are short, too. This is a comic book environment, so I won't bother getting too much into real world dynamics, but trust me when I say that there is a reason why we have different classes and rankings in just about every sanctioned form of martial art sport.

We can only hope that Wolverine as a "normal" human would have peak human speed and uncanny durability, because he's going to get hit often. Usually, characters like that get a weapon, armor, or some type of power to bridge the gap. To Marvel's credit, they did just that.
    Tyson. Fought mostly all his fights with a height more importantly "Reach" disadvantage.
    I find the argument of "take all his powers away" to be moot.

one of his powers... the most important one is the near agelessness. Time of years and practice in fighting. . . both in martial arts and brawling. Is why I rate him the top. or at least IN the top.

Experience + practice
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

1. Daredevil
    2. Shang-Chi
    3. Iron Fist
    4. Captain America
    5. Wolverine
    6. Black Widow
    7. Moon Knight
    8. Karnak
    9. Echo
    10. Stick

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I kinda want to use this thread to talk about something that's all too prevalent in comics (especially mainstream comics): the idea that X or Y character knows or is a master of 100+ or all forms of martial arts. The kind of stuff you've gotten with characters like Captain America, Batman, Black Panther, Iron Fist, Wolverine and Ninjak (and anyone else).

First of all, it's impossible. There are way too many martial arts in the world. Some of them are still in a recovery process and some could be unknown. Not to mention actually finding masters of said martial arts and then finding the time to learn and master them.

And then there's the simple truth that many martial arts aren't useful in a modern day setting, and it makes no sense for certain characters to even know them. I don't see why Batman has to know any sort of kung fu or wushu discipline when it isn't something he needs on a daily (or nightly) basis. Why does Captain America need to be a master of every form of fighting when the majority of what he does is throw a shield, throw some punches and kicks and uses wrestling and submission techniques?

Many of these characters would be absolutely fine knowing a few martial arts and incorporating them in an MMA style regimen (taking what works and disregarding the rest to form their own 'style'). I'm not saying all of them suddenly need to fight like that in the comics. I understand there needs to be an element of flair for things to look visually interesting, but often times the number of styles a person knows is often overstated instead of their tactics and how effective what they know is.

If anything, I think the recent live action versions of these characters have for the most part captured how these guys would fight as realistically as possible. And most of the time the actors are trained in only a few martial arts over and over again. There's a guy on YouTube that goes by GodzillaRex that usually breaks down the fighting styles from the movies and TV shows in question and the average number is usually 5 - 12. He does get some things wrong (and sometimes wrongly attributes a technique where it doesn't belong), but for the most part it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Tyson. Fought mostly all his fights with a height more importantly "Reach" disadvantage.
    I find the argument of "take all his powers away" to be moot.

one of his powers... the most important one is the near agelessness. Time of years and practice in fighting. . . both in martial arts and brawling. Is why I rate him the top. or at least IN the top.

Experience + practice
    Unfortunately, there is also the issue of Logan's memories which has been messed with a lot. Experience isn't any good if you can't actually remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I kinda want to use this thread to talk about something that's all too prevalent in comics (especially mainstream comics): the idea that X or Y character knows or is a master of 100+ or all forms of martial arts. The kind of stuff you've gotten with characters like Captain America, Batman, Black Panther, Iron Fist, Wolverine and Ninjak (and anyone else).

First of all, it's impossible. There are way too many martial arts in the world. Some of them are still in a recovery process and some could be unknown. Not to mention actually finding masters of said martial arts and then finding the time to learn and master them.

And then there's the simple truth that many martial arts aren't useful in a modern day setting, and it makes no sense for certain characters to even know them. I don't see why Batman has to know any sort of kung fu or wushu discipline when it isn't something he needs on a daily (or nightly) basis. Why does Captain America need to be a master of every form of fighting when the majority of what he does is throw a shield, throw some punches and kicks and uses wrestling and submission techniques?

Many of these characters would be absolutely fine knowing a few martial arts and incorporating them in an MMA style regimen (taking what works and disregarding the rest to form their own 'style'). I'm not saying all of them suddenly need to fight like that in the comics. I understand there needs to be an element of flair for things to look visually interesting, but often times the number of styles a person knows is often overstated instead of their tactics and how effective what they know is.

If anything, I think the recent live action versions of these characters have for the most part captured how these guys would fight as realistically as possible. And most of the time the actors are trained in only a few martial arts over and over again. There's a guy on YouTube that goes by GodzillaRex that usually breaks down the fighting styles from the movies and TV shows in question and the average number is usually 5 - 12. He does get some things wrong (and sometimes wrongly attributes a technique where it doesn't belong), but for the most part it makes sense.
    Your point has almost complete validity up to Black Panther. He's born to a warrior nation that would have been focused on fighting and the need for supremacy in the arts.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Your point has almost complete validity up to Black Panther. He's born to a warrior nation that would have been focused on fighting and the need for supremacy in the arts.
    I think their point still stands. As a person raised in a country that favors being skilled in combat, T'Challa would focus on being effective at fighting which doesn't require learning every martial in existence since not all of them would be useful in the field.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    T'Challa is actually a very good example of what I'm talking about, because he has formed his own fighting styles twice in the comics. First to combat the Doombots adaptive capabilities and another called Shadow Combat (being a blend of K'un K'un, Wakandan and Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's fighting system)). The guy has made reference to Lee twice, and one of his philosophies in martial arts was to take what was useful from various disciplines and discard the rest. He even once said (to paraphrase) practicing one kick a thousand times is better than knowing a thousand different kicks. That's one of the things MMA is based on and the concept has been used in militaries for centuries.

T'Challa is one of the smartest people in his universe and one of the most experienced fighters. He of all people would understand the value of quality over quantity in martial arts. In his case I don't see why either he or Wakanda couldn't have developed a hybrid martial arts system that includes everything he needs to be a complete fighter: the best and most useful striking techniques (including claw strikes), grappling and throws, clinches and submissions, acrobatics, and various weapons training including disarming techniques.

All of that could be one martial art, T'Challa just needs to be a master of that alone, and coupled with his enhanced physicals, experience and intelligence he could be one of the best fighters in the world.