Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Spider-Man's costume is evidently a classic
    Daredevil's red costume is awesome
    I like Punisher's skull shirt and trench coat outfit
    Psylocke's outfit is rather-well known (or maybe even infamous...)

Quote Originally Posted by Oheao View Post
    I like Punisher's skull shirt and trench coat outfit
    Me too. In fact, the JRJR version is my personal favorite:

7f517e645290cccebfa6d7a402896334.jpg
    Not even sure where or what this is, but it looks cool and 70's to me...or is that 50's/60's!?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Me too. In fact, the JRJR version is my personal favorite:

Yeah, I think it fits better than his classic outfit. His original outfit makes him seem more like a mercenary, whereas the trench coat is closer to a mass murderer, and let's be honest that's what Frank Castle is.

Quote Originally Posted by zanu_ra View Post
    Not even sure where or what this is, but it looks cool and 70's to me...or is that 50's/60's!?
    It's from the 80's, actually. And I totally agree, it does look cool.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

^^^
    What he said.

Specifically, it's from the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe of the Universe Deluxe Edition that came out in `86.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It's the alien symbiote (later given the name Klyntars) that Peter acquired waaaaaaaaay back in the very first Secret Wars series circa 1984. Because of Marvel's whacky publication schedule, the costume actually was shown on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man months in advance of the Secret Wars issue where Peter actually got the "eight ball glob" suit. And yes, back then we were all blown away by the new look. Well, most of us were.

Also worth noting, though, that Spider Woman (Julia Carpenter), not Peter, was actually the first to wear a version of the black and white costume in terms of the story timeline. Peter thinks that his appreciation of Julia's costume may have subconsciously influenced the symbiote. Or put another way, dude was totally checking out Julia on the low.

All jokes aside, Marvel had planned the costume change a year earlier when they first began planning the Secret Wars project. As these things go, some ideas were left on the cutting room floor, including the original title of the book/event, but I'm glad that they kept the costume change. To this day it was one of the best innovations that Marvel has ever made.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It's the alien symbiote (later given the name Klyntars) that Peter acquired waaaaaaaaay back in the very first Secret Wars series circa 1984. Because of Marvel's whacky publication schedule, the costume actually was shown on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man months in advance of the Secret Wars issue where Peter actually got the "eight ball glob" suit. And yes, back then we were all blown away by the new look. Well, most of us were.

Also worth noting, though, that Spider Woman (Julia Carpenter), not Peter, was actually the first to wear a version of the black and white costume in terms of the story timeline. Peter thinks that his appreciation of Julia's costume may have subconsciously influenced the symbiote. Or put another way, dude was totally checking out Julia on the low.

All jokes aside, Marvel had planned the costume change a year earlier when they first began planning the Secret Wars project. As these things go, some ideas were left on the cutting room floor, including the original title of the book/event, but I'm glad that they kept the costume change. To this day it was one of the best innovations that Marvel has ever made.
    Original concept was good (IMHO)...but the later developments making the symbiote so powerful were over the top for me. Need to fight the Juggernaut hand to hand...just increase mass and have the strength to do so.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Original concept was good (IMHO)...but the later developments making the symbiote so powerful were over the top for me. Need to fight the Juggernaut hand to hand...just increase mass and have the strength to do so.
    I agree, but that's just what comic writers do. It's annoying how everyone wants their character to be as powerful as Superman. Or to foster some false narrative that on any given day their hero isn't just a legend, but a living god. No one wants to lose or figure out how to properly write compelling outcomes when the hero is clearly, hopelessly and undeniably outmatched and there's no saving the day. Writers don't want to write those stories and fans of those characters don't want to read them. So we get stories where symbiotes can match Juggsy's magical strength, toe to toe and pound for pound 99% of the time, which should never be the case. Not if we want to maintain the belief that Juggernaut is an actual threat.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    In my opinion, Miguel's original costume is every bit as good as either of Peter's iconic costumes (red & blue/black or black & white). One of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    In my opinion, Miguel's original costume is every bit as good as either of Peter's iconic costumes (red & blue/black or black & white). One of my favorites.
    To the utmost, I agree. Rick Leonardi drew it best, IMHO.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    To the utmost, I agree. Rick Leonardi drew it best, IMHO.
    DAMN! Who did the recoloring on that page????
    This is where modern coloring on older material pops!

And yes, I am Leonardi-biased when it comes to SM2099. When he left, so did I....

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    DAMN! Who did the recoloring on that page????
    This is where modern coloring on older material pops!
    I believe this link might be helpful:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...recoloured_by/

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    And yes, I am Leonardi-biased when it comes to SM2099. When he left, so did I....
    I felt the same way after Leonardi left, but I still stuck around for Peter David.

Well... Spider-man (and most of the Marvel universe) started in the 60's... so there was no 50's Spidey costume. Pretty much just Captain America and Namor would have '50's looks'. But yeah, that's the pre-Venom symbiote that showed up in the 80's.