The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Jon kent and sales the reason why bendis was brought over and tomasi removed

Okay guys, A man met didio. He had asked a few questions. Some are relevant to superman. Take this with a grain of salt. but, He has a taken a picture with him

Source:
    source link

Him: why is Superman being taken over and relaunched by Bendis? I think Superman is the best it's been in years.
    Dan : superman is a low selling book. 4th lowest right now. When the son Jonathan is the star of the book, that's a problem and also we wanted to have superman do superman things again. Bendis is a big name and we think this can really recharge superman. (he also said that family doesn't sell and that Tomasi will still have the Supersons book)
    Him:what's the biggest selling DC comic since you've been in charge?
    Dan : Action Comics 1000, Doomsday clock is second.

In what universe was Superman DC's 4th lowest selling book? Because it wasn't this one.

This is completely fabricated. I don't like Didio very much, but he's not an idiot and wouldn't say these things to some random fan at a comic shop. I doubt he'd even say that to his own team if it was true.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-13-2020 at 10:19 AM.

I don't know enough about sales figures to know if that's true or not, and frankly, I don't give enough of a damn to find out. It's surprising to hear. Maybe the things that make Superman fans happy are just straight up not the things that make them buy. Stupid, if true, but I don't honestly care about those numbers.

But I actually pretty much agree with him that Jon was the main character more than Superman was during a lot of Rebirth, and that it was kind of a problem. That said, Bendis' characterization didn't much feel like an improvement to me, over Dan Jurgens or Greg Pak, or even Scott Lobdell to me. More like a massive step backwards into the same territory that led to the '11 reboot in the first place. And I still can't shake the feeling that Clark is being groomed for retirement and Jon is being groomed for, you know, being Superman.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    In what universe was Superman DC's 4th lowest selling book? Because it wasn't this one.

This is completely fabricated. I don't like Didio very much, but he's not an idiot and wouldn't say these things to some random fan at a comic shop. I doubt he'd even say that to his own team if it was true.
    He has said stuff dissing wally,publicly . He like to play the heel. I believe, this is just a casual talk. In the comments someone said, "Superman is DC's 5th highest selling on-going title. In April both issues sold over 40k.". Nobody in comments seemed suspicious of the topic maker. so, i doubt its fabricated.

It's not even close to true. Bendis requested Superman, he wasn't offered it. He surprised them by asking for it. It was selling in the mid 40K's by January of 2018 which was around when Bendis was announced. It was DC's 4th best selling ongoing title that month. In October 2017, which was when Bendis was around when Bendis signed on it was still selling in that range and while it was lower in the charts that was in the midst of Metal and all the crossovers for that (for perspective Green Arrow sold a ton that month).

I do think they wanted to get away from the family styled stories at that point and were looking to shake things up. But the idea that Bendis was "brought onto Superman" to save it isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He has said stuff dissing wally,publicly . He like to play the heel. I believe, this is just a casual talk. In the comments someone said, "Superman is DC's 5th highest selling on-going title. In April both issues sold over 40k.". Nobody in comments seemed suspicious of the topic maker. so, i doubt its fabricated.
    Everything in the post is basically fanboy complaints about Didio that anyone of us could cobble together. Didio isn't going to say those things to randoms.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-13-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Spectacular Member

Smh, and this idiot(Didio) has been a success under Bendis?!?! Ive never been more bored with Superman under Bendis since Scott Lobdell. He brought those idiot outdated trunks back and bored me to death with stories. I don't care about the secret identity reveal. Don't care about Leviathan. Aged up Jon and ruined the Damian/Jon dynamic. In what universe has the Bendis run been a success?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It's not even close to true. Bendis requested Superman, he wasn't offered it. He surprised them by asking for it. It was selling in the mid 40K's by January of 2018 which was around when Bendis was announced. It was DC's 4th best selling ongoing title that month. In October 2017, which was when Bendis was around when Bendis signed on it was still selling in that range and while it was lower in the charts that was in the midst of Metal and all the crossovers for that (for perspective Green Arrow sold a ton that month).

I do think they wanted to get away from the family styled stories at that point and were looking to shake things up. But the idea that Bendis was "brought onto Superman" to save it isn't true.
    Well, i think bendis was coming over. So, they asked him which books he wanted(except for the ones that are "taken" ). He asked superman. Since, the family and jon being given the prominence was'nt to didio's liking and prospect of boost in sales was accounted for bendis was given the book.

Putting aside that this is an old reddit post in the first place, I'm not buying it. There's some objectively incorrect info (like Superman's sales, it wasn't great last year and still isn't, they never are outside of the beginning of relaunches, but its far from 4th worst), and beyond that this would seem to be a quite contradictory to things going on now, and the 5G rumors. It'd be nice if it were true, because it'd be nice if Didio recognized that there are issues with Jon's focus, but that doesn't vibe with what he's greenlit and his own rumored ideas. What happening now and what's rumored to happen in the future is way worse than anything Tomasi ever did in regards to going overboard with a Jon-centric focus.

If this were true and Didio did recognize the problems Jon is causing (no, he's not the sole cause of Superman's current woes--he's not responsible for Bendis' dumb outing idea, for example--but he's a big one), that would be excellent. But current goings-on and other strong rumors suggest otherwise.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-13-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This would seem to be a quite contradictory to things going on now, and the 5G rumors. I mean, if Didio recognized that Jon was the star of the Superman book (and he was, and that indeed sucked), why would he greenlight Jon taking Superman's legion ties from him, and also have the idea of Jon actually taking over the role of Superman? The former opinions seem to lean toward the idea of Didio recognizing that Jon overshadowing Superman is a bad thing. But all indications are that's exactly what's going to happen under Bendis and his watch, only to an even greater degree.

So I'm very skeptical. I mean, if this were true and Didio did recognize the problems Jon is causing, that would be excellent. But current goings-on and other strong rumors suggest that he, Bendis, and the rest of DC don't.
    Well, he wants superman to be star of the books. He doesn't care who that superman is as long the book sells. Besides, i think didio views postcrisis "classic" guy as boring.geoff johns on the other hand is the reverse. Jon might have been green lit under his management with jurgens and tomasi speer heading. Since, johns left and didio hated family and jon being center. He removed them. Then he realised he feels superman himself is uninteresting(an epiphany i share). So,he saw jon as a prospect. Since, he has noticed that the kid had gone over with the fans generally. I mean, even bendis had to comeout and clarify with the backlash towards jon returning superboy prime-esque.

Either way, didio's primary agenda is a kewl superman. His whole marketing strategy with new52 superman was that. Which by the way pissed people off.your superman not kewl. New52 superman kewl.

Bendis' Superman pulls in lower numbers than Tomasi's. If Didio said this he's lying.
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Gruenwald View Post
    Bendis' Superman pulls in lower numbers than Tomasi's. If Didio said this he's lying.
    This times 1000. Bendis run has been nothing short of awful.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I can believe Didio might feel some of these ways in opinion, but that's different from believing he made these comments to a random guy on Reddit. Seems like an ugly case of putting words in someone's mouth.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES