Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 440
  1. #226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I would hope she would be a hero just to be a hero. Here, we have someone wanting to kill humans that are sympathetic to mutants with the end goal being a world where mutants have no allies and are alone. That sucks.
    Which is what I mean; there's a lot of political gain here by Domino saving that woman. That's good, don't get me wrong! But, say as opposed to when Nina would stick her neck out for Inez because they were friends and she loved her. It's that kind of difference I'm getting at? Trauma...changes you. Badly. There's the "before you" and the "after you" and...just based on this whole direction, I'm not seeing much hope.

  2. #227
    Proud Krakoan Jbenito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3,422

    Default

    Let's see how it all unfolds. In the meantime... Kitty is dead!
    Boop! Krakoa forever!

  3. #228
    Incredible Member pkingdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    859

    Default

    There's this bizarre double standard thinking on these boards. First that mutants are all immediately hatecrimed and genocided the second the set foot off of Krakoa, and second, that these organizations speak for all of humanity. The hatecrime thing has never been the case except when people like Cassandra Nova or Hatemonger were mentally messing with people. Even in the darkest moments of Uncanny they could still go out and just do things.

    Acting like Orchis is some unified human response to mutantkind if laughable. They're formed from offshoots of basically every evil organization ever, plus a few not-always-evil groups that still had some scummy people working for them. Blaming humankind for the actions of Orchis while claiming blaming all mutants for Apocalypse and Magneto is bizarre.

    Flatscan was literally invented to be a dehumanizing slur showing the superiority of mutantkind. Fabien Cortez, a villain, was the first to use and popularize it. Mutants have literally used that kind of talk to justify massacring people. The very first mutants in recorded history in-story, Apocalypse and Selene, used their powers to justify ending entire civilizations. And no, saying its OK that children use slurs because terrible things have happened is not right. That is literally how the cycle of abuse works in the real world. Israel and Palestine are the most obvious example.

    Edit: Dead Kitty on the water. She has a very pretty and put together corpse. Most dead bodies left in the ocean would either be bloated to the point of looking overinflated balloons, or picked clean by the tons and tons of fish and microorganisms that eat dead things in the water.

  4. #229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    no it really isn't. I mean, its up for interpretation but imo without nuance it would be "Us vs. Them, and one side is definitively right"....this is "Us vs. Them", yes, mutants have always been pit against humans, but we've been given space to understand why both sides have come to the point they have. Bam, nuance.

    I agree personally w/ the side of the mutants , based on what they've been through as a "society" of sorts I feel like their actions are justified and this kid saying flatscan as a throwaway joke is fine. You don't personally have to agree, but don't condemn the ideology running through the books as oversimplified just because you disagree
    I too agree with shades of the mutants, but not this particular thing. I don't agree with generalisations because I know what, even as a throwaway joke, it can lead to. It's the attitude that it perpetuates. True nuance, imo, would be turning around to tackle that because, in regards to mutants, it shouldn't be as simple as "Us VS Them." For one thing, it does feel as if 'this side is definitely right' based on the sparsity and outright lack, in some cases, of internal challenging to things like this, or even just interpersonal chemistries. Everything's happened too easily; people are too inclined to definitely side one way or the other despite the fact that we have been shown in the past that there's human support, albeit in small pockets. Outback (Inez) for example, in Domino's Hotshots or even Teen Cyclops working with the Champions. That's what feels oversimplified--that it's being disregarded.

  5. #230
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    There's this bizarre double standard thinking on these boards. First that mutants are all immediately hatecrimed and genocided the second the set foot off of Krakoa, and second, that these organizations speak for all of humanity. The hatecrime thing has never been the case except when people like Cassandra Nova or Hatemonger were mentally messing with people. Even in the darkest moments of Uncanny they could still go out and just do things.

    Acting like Orchis is some unified human response to mutantkind if laughable. They're formed from offshoots of basically every evil organization ever, plus a few not-always-evil groups that still had some scummy people working for them. Blaming humankind for the actions of Orchis while claiming blaming all mutants for Apocalypse and Magneto is bizarre.

    Flatscan was literally invented to be a dehumanizing slur showing the superiority of mutantkind. Fabien Cortez, a villain, was the first to use and popularize it. Mutants have literally used that kind of talk to justify massacring people. The very first mutants in recorded history in-story, Apocalypse and Selene, used their powers to justify ending entire civilizations. And no, saying its OK that children use slurs because terrible things have happened is not right. That is literally how the cycle of abuse works in the real world. Israel and Palestine are the most obvious example.

    Edit: Dead Kitty on the water. She has a very pretty and put together corpse. Most dead bodies left in the ocean would either be bloated to the point of looking overinflated balloons, or picked clean by the tons and tons of fish and microorganisms that eat dead things in the water.
    ?



  6. #231
    Incredible Member pkingdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    859

    Default

    I knew you were going to post that. A couple mutants suffered hatecrimes. Therefore all of humanity is bad? What point are you trying to make?

  7. #232
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    2,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    There's this bizarre double standard thinking on these boards. First that mutants are all immediately hatecrimed and genocided the second the set foot off of Krakoa, and second, that these organizations speak for all of humanity. The hatecrime thing has never been the case except when people like Cassandra Nova or Hatemonger were mentally messing with people. Even in the darkest moments of Uncanny they could still go out and just do things.

    Acting like Orchis is some unified human response to mutantkind if laughable. They're formed from offshoots of basically every evil organization ever, plus a few not-always-evil groups that still had some scummy people working for them. Blaming humankind for the actions of Orchis while claiming blaming all mutants for Apocalypse and Magneto is bizarre.

    Flatscan was literally invented to be a dehumanizing slur showing the superiority of mutantkind. Fabien Cortez, a villain, was the first to use and popularize it. Mutants have literally used that kind of talk to justify massacring people. The very first mutants in recorded history in-story, Apocalypse and Selene, used their powers to justify ending entire civilizations. And no, saying its OK that children use slurs because terrible things have happened is not right. That is literally how the cycle of abuse works in the real world. [B]Israel and Palestine are the most obvious example.
    [/B]
    Edit: Dead Kitty on the water. She has a very pretty and put together corpse. Most dead bodies left in the ocean would either be bloated to the point of looking overinflated balloons, or picked clean by the tons and tons of fish and microorganisms that eat dead things in the water.
    ............. no words, but im too good at predicting convos to continue on this line of discussion, just in disbelief
    Last edited by Ferro; 02-13-2020 at 08:58 PM.

  8. #233
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I knew you were going to post that. A couple mutants suffered hatecrimes. Therefore all of humanity is bad? What point are you trying to make?
    For the [INSERT NUMBER HERE]th/rd time, it’s a system made by humans that enforces the status quo that mutants can just be killed willy-nilly without any consequences.

  9. #234
    Incredible Member pkingdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    For the [INSERT NUMBER HERE]th/rd time, it’s a system made by humans that enforces the status quo that mutants can just be killed willy-nilly without any consequences.
    That scene is one of the most badly written comic book scenes in recent memory, and they give no reason why they don't suffer any real consequences besides Logan giving them a guilt trip speech. But again, saying a hate crime happened is not the same as saying it happens to all mutants all the time.

    Are you going to give a proper reason why the Israel/Palestine thing is a terrible comparison or just snark?

  10. #235

    Default

    Ya know, looking back over this preview--there's a sense of militant nationalism that just rubs me the wrong way. "Use your powers for the state" is what I'm getting from Emma's speech.

  11. #236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Because it’s the only thing keeping Krakoa from being bombed to dust. Of course Emma isn’t rapping how wonderful this is for humans instead of stressing the necessity that these medicines exist because it’s the primary reason they get to enjoy not being tortured and murdered but the very same flatscans they’re referring to as flatscans. You keep trying to remove the importance of systematic discrimination and history attached to one slur (mutie, for example) in favor of a word used to punch up (flatscan).
    "The very same flatscans they're referring to as flatscans." So all of humanity? That's what you're saying here? Because a human is a flatscan by default, right? And because the word carries such disparaging connotations in and of itself, this attitude is perpetuated and affirmed by its' use? And that isn't exactly the same attitude and language that needs to be challenged?

    Again: This whole idea of 'punching up' just sounds like a workaround to be an arse to someone. This kid wasn't tackling a whole system here by calling humans 'flatscans'--he was using a word which paints all of humanity as evil and vile without having his view challenged. What's the actual 'necessity' in referring to someone like that? What good does it do?

  12. #237
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    16,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    trust, cooperation and understanding are a dance that takes 2, and humans were the first ones to not only refuse to engage, but atacked mutants for even sugesting both sides are equal.
    the fact there is people reading x-men comics that dont understand that for flatscans to be like the n word, mutants would have at one point used that word to dehumanize humans to enhance their system of opression, slavery and control, tells me people realy dont absorb the true intentions of any media no matter how in your face it is about its mensage.
    nothing but facts. when I initially read the comparison I cringed. thank you for explaining why they are nowhere near equivalent.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  13. #238
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    That scene is one of the most badly written comic book scenes in recent memory, and they give no reason why they don't suffer any real consequences besides Logan giving them a guilt trip speech. But again, saying a hate crime happened is not the same as saying it happens to all mutants all the time.
    I could also bring up Jumbo Carnation. I’m not talking about the individual acts, but ONCE AGAIN, the system in place that allows these acts to not only happen unprovoked but also go unpunished. You say they give “no reason” as to why they suffer no consequences but you do realize the entire controversy of Wolfsbane’s death was because it’s based on real life murders of trans women (esp black trans women) where their killers don’t ever get caught and no one with any real political authority makes an effort to find justice. It’s that same system that ingrains transphobia into the real world that metaphorically manifests against mutants in Marvel.

    Are you going to give a proper reason why the Israel/Palestine thing is a terrible comparison or just snark?
    Because the colonization and subsequent occupation of Palestine in which its citizens are treated like sh!t by the Israeli (& US) government is in no way a “cycle.” It’s a slaughter.

  14. #239
    Ultimate Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    11,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Ya know, looking back over this preview--there's a sense of militant nationalism that just rubs me the wrong way. "Use your powers for the state" is what I'm getting from Emma's speech.
    Excalibur last issue was a big "For Krakoa!" propaganda

  15. #240
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    879

    Default

    Can, y'all not do this for ONE THREAD?!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •