Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Those don’t conflict with each other. Why can’t he be both?
    Agreed. He's a sprinkle of both with a heavy dash of sexy.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Agreed. He's a sprinkle of both with a heavy dash of sexy.
    Magneto can be whatever the author wants him to be.
    As an mutant chamipion, I find understandable… and I even like him under Claremont's pen.
    On the other hand, as a mutant supremacist, I find him loathsome.

So, Hickman wastes his time with me with "Daddy mutant protectiong the little mutants from the big bad world"… I can't forget the despicable Magneto.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Tomorrow is the day. All Hail the Queen(s)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    As an mutant chamipion, I find understandable… and I even like him under Claremont's pen.

So, Hickman wastes his time with me with "Daddy mutant protectiong the little mutants from the big bad world"… I can't forget the despicable Magneto.
    I mean that sounds more like a personal hangup rather than a criticism on Hickman's Magneto. I agree with the others that he's being written consistently and probably the most in character in years. Magneto dreams are finally coming true so he's drinking that self satisfaction kool-aide deep.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I mean that sounds more like a personal hangup rather than a criticism on Hickman's Magneto. I agree with the others that he's being written consistently and probably the most in character in years. Magneto dreams are finally coming true so he's drinking that self satisfaction kool-aide deep.
    It's a criticism on Hickman's Magneto: is he loathsome? Is he sympathetic? Successively loathsome and sympathetic?
    Hickman doesn't want to choose: he lets the readers decide.
    But I suppose it's a personal criticsm on Hickman's writing: this fondness for cold and/or ambivalent characters…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

It's a criticism on Hickman's Magneto: is he loathsome? Is he sympathetic? Successively loathsome and sympathetic?
    But I suppose it's a personal criticsm on Hickman's writing: this fondness for cold and/or ambivalent characters…
    Hickman really have a big affinity for grey characters.

Spectacular Member

I don't think Magneto has been depicted as "loathsome"for many years. Back in the day when he imprisoned the X Men in those chairs and left them in the care of the nanny robot ,yes .Recently , no

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Unless the power dynamics in the MU significantly change, there is no word that can be created that would actually be insulting or damaging. They all amount to the same thing, "you're one of the privileged and powerful majority that control the planet". Ooh, burn.
    The word has nothing to do with power dynamics, they believed that the flatscans were inferiors and they should be the ones to rule. If im not mistaken, even Magneto hated the word.

Of course, that word doesnt have the same weight coming from that kid that coming from the Acolytes.

Emma and Ororo stans will be very happy tomorrow

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatore Frost View Post
    Emma and Ororo stans will be very happy tomorrow
    ***looking***
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Lol I thought this was a Dudes lap at first... And was almost TRIGGERED
    GrindrStone(D)

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I just brought it up as something I think about. You guys are the ones freaking out about it.
    Gee I can't imagine why people might get annoyed seeing people make up hideously evil crap to throw stones about.

What has he done in HoX/DoX thats all that loathsome? Arrogant? hell yeah. Conceited? Probably. It just seems to be a big leap to loathsome Mutant Supremacist. As an example if you change Krakoa to Wakanda and mutant to Wakandan its pretty much in line with what you'd hear from Blank Panther. (Or Namor with Atlantis or Odin with Asgard)

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    ***looking***
    Go to Twitter hun

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

That's fine. What makes Magneto what he is, is that he wants a paradise for all mutants, but he also wants to live in it. There is at his core, an appalling sense of selfish entitlement. The idea of dying to save all mutants is less appealing than convincing other mutants to die for his sake as 'necessary sacrifices for a better tomorrow.'

He's so full of ****.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."