Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Sphere View Post
    No, it isn't a little more than that. It is what was presented on the page, an observation was made. It's the reaction to that observation that was outsized, disrespectful, and intended to silence. Hell, I actually like the grey, eye-brow raising stuff. It keeps the books interesting, adds life to the world beyond the teams, and generally elevates capebooks above the traditional norm. Seeing Krakoa range from wetworks teams like X-Force to Emma and Christian touring the kids through their facilities, to Forge participating in a multinational tech race in Marvel Voices. That's how its done, the many facets of the nation. It's good worldbuilding.
    It started with "racism" and comparisons to the n-word. Observations indeed but strong ones rather than "slight", ones that were meant to get a reaction. Rightfully so, people have very deep feelings about that word even coming up.

But I completely agree with you in that these grey narratives have been a joy to read. We're finally somewhere new and in Hickman/Duggan & Co. I trust.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Free Me View Post
    Same.

I honestly don't understand why suddenly the X-Men are bad, Krakoa isn't better than Orchis building a Sentinel City on Mercury and the extreme comparisons some people are using to the word "Flatscan".
    I wasn't around at the time, but how was Utopia perceived?

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I wasn't around at the time, but how was Utopia perceived?
    More or less viewed as Genosha 2.0 and doomed to fail.
    Basically there is no winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Free Me View Post
    Same.

I honestly don't understand why suddenly the X-Men are bad, Krakoa isn't better than Orchis building a Sentinel City on Mercury and the extreme comparisons some people are using to the word "Flatscan".
    Im more surprised that the word apparently for many people is just an innocent slur.

Is the word used commonly by members of the X-Men ??

Is not a test or a challenge to anyone in particular, honest question.

I always associate the word to the Acolytes.

Fantastic Member

I have a feeling she’ll eventually be resurrected without memories of how she died. I just hope she doesn’t come back as fast as Professor Xavier. I’m glad Sebastian made a move. Emma and company got a little too complacent. It’s about time they get schooked lol. I’d love to see how they end up solving this crime. I hope Kitty comes back with her Neo costume. How does a half breed belong in Krakoa? Does she deserve to be in the quiet council after this revelation? Will Sebastian be successful in getting Shinobi to claim the red king status? If not, who gets to claim that empty seat? I really hope the writer does his homework and flesh out the characters motivations. Does money matter when you get to live in a paradise like Krakoa?

I really want her to survive, somehow.
    Im tired of watching them die.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    There’s an intriguing plot about her true origins and this death provides an opportunity to explore this.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    as much as Guggenheim ruined the character for me it's pretty sad to see her die in the manner she did. I would like to see her survive as well but this, leading up to issues 11 in may seems pretty grim.

question are the books going to monthly next month? 11 comes out on may right? so if it kept the every other week schedule it would be out in mar/apr.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Askani5 View Post
    There’s an intriguing plot about her true origins and this death provides an opportunity to explore this.
    Agreed and there's definitely some stuff happening until the funeral issue. They're going to try everything they can to bring her back.

Extraordinary Member

No, it isn't a little more than that. It is what was presented on the page, an observation was made. It's the reaction to that observation that was outsized, disrespectful, and intended to silence. Hell, I actually like the grey, eye-brow raising stuff. It keeps the books interesting, adds life to the world beyond the teams, and generally elevates capebooks above the traditional norm. Seeing Krakoa range from wetworks teams like X-Force to Emma and Christian touring the kids through their facilities, to Forge participating in a multinational tech race in Marvel Voices. That's how its done, the many facets of the nation. It's good worldbuilding.
    I just want to say, I didn't mean to "silence" anyone. I like that we can all have long, rambling discussions on these books again.

Even if I have a negative view of Krakoa, I am having so much fun right now. These are serious, sometimes painful discussions, but they're necessary. And for the most part, the forums have been pretty OK with them. It's not like Secret Empire where things got really heated.

Is it good worldbuilding, though?

It's rather logical that a little boy, who has suffered from the humans, is resentful towards them and says it, no problem, children say horrible stuff all the time.

Does Emma represent the point of view of all X-men? Before, they had all distinct personnalities and it was shown. That Emma is all "I'm the most beautiful woman, I'm better than anyone, and by the way, I'm a mutant"… not really surprising. She has been portrayed this way by almost all the authors. It's the other point of view that is suprisingly missing.

When Magneto says "We are gods", no one comes and says "Oh man, you are wrong…".

What does Hickman want to say? That all X-men think like Emma and Magneto, all disdainfully?
    And where does it put the reader who has been reading the X-men during years and following their adventures?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post

It's rather logical that a little boy, who has suffered from the humans, is resentful towards them and says it, no problem, children say horrible stuff all the time.

Does Emma represent the point of view of all X-men? Before, they had all distinct personnalities and it was shown. That Emma is all "I'm the most beautiful woman, I'm better than anyone, and by the way, I'm a mutant"… not really surprising. She has been portrayed this way by almost all the authors. It's the other point of view that is suprisingly missing.

When Magneto says "We are gods", no one comes and says "Oh man, you are wrong…".

What does Hickman want to say? That all X-men think like Emma and Magneto, all disdainfully?
    And where does it put the reader who has been reading the X-men during years and following their adventures?
    That the real problem a lot of us have. Having Magneto or Emma say those kinds of things is pretty in character. What's not is everyone around them just silently accepting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post

Betsy made it clear to Excalibur that they serve at the pleasure of the Queen and her people, even if they protest and throw bottles at Remy.

Laura quickly shut down Paige when Paige made a comment about not wanting to help the humans. Magneto told Psylocke that he backs her for wanting to help humanity and provided her a jet. They then defeated Apoth who was threatening humanity.

Domino spent the last issue trying to stop an assassin from killing more humans.

In my opinion the opposing voices are there. Do readers want to see these mutants say it directly to Magneto? It could happen but they know how he is and it wouldn't be worth it.
    Last edited by JB; 02-14-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    That the real problem a lot of us have. Having Magneto or Emma say those kinds of things is pretty in character. What's not is everyone around them just silently accepting it.
    But after everything mutants have been through from the genocide in Genosha to those mutant kids massacred in new X-Men and many more, I doubt a good chunk of them still agree with Xavier’s original agenda to save the world that fears and hates them even if they continue to discriminate and hunt their kind. It’s about time they prioritize their rights and safety rather than be at the mercy of flatscans.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I think he has done a good job avoiding moral characters in front of them, so nobody can react to those statements.Emma is what it is, the scene in my opinion is to show us how lazy is Emma with political correctness.

Yet i see Jubilee with a strange face when she corrected Betsy in excalibur.

And then you see other X-Men with the usual agenda, protecting both human and mutants.