Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

Betsy made it clear to Excalibur that they serve at the pleasure of the Queen and her people, even if they protest and throw bottles at Remy.

Laura quickly shut down Paige when Paige made a comment about not wanting to help the humans. Magneto told Psylocke that he backs her for wanting to help humanity and provided her a jet. They then defeated Apoth who was threatening humanity.

Domino spent the last issue trying to stop an assassin from killing more humans.

In my opinion the opposing voices are there. Do readers want to see these mutants say it directly to Magneto? It could happen but they know how he is and it wouldn't be worth it.
    Part of the problem with Fallen Angels is that it felt very cut off and, well, just sort of weird?

It felt disconnected.

And let's be honest, doesn't that tone sort of just seep with condescension? Even the name Fallen Angels is putting Krakoa and mutants in this lofty place and everywhere outside of it is Hell.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Part of the problem with Fallen Angels is that it felt very cut off and, well, just sort of weird?

It felt disconnected.

And let's be honest, doesn't that tone sort of just seep with condescension? Even the name Fallen Angels is putting Krakoa and mutants in this lofty place and everywhere outside of it is Hell.
    I mean multiple mutants have described it as a mutant paradise sooo *shrug*.

It felt disconnected.

That is reading too much, i think.

Inconsistency in how humans and mutants are portrayed has plagued this books for years, one day every single mutant is in danger in every second the next day, Krakoa participate in a race in New York.

It felt disconnected.

Magneto is gonna Magneto. But I appreciated him respecting Psylocke's choice and assisting her.

Haha I just saw the title as an homage to the original mini but to each their own!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    That is reading too much, i think.

Inconsistency in how humans and mutants are portrayed has plagued this books for years, one day every single mutant is in danger in every second the next day, Krakoa participate in a race in New York.
    True, true, but isn't that sort of realistic? I mean, for most minorities, it isn't like every single day is bad. There are plenty of days where they are even celebrated. But then those bad times happen.

Fallen Angels use it to refer to the fact that they are abandoning paradise to help humans.

And from their perspective, they were doing it. It was a problem that did not affect them in the least and they left the place where they are safe and literally the earth gives them everything they need.

In my opinion the opposing voices are there. Do readers want to see these mutants say it directly to Magneto? It could happen but they know how he is and it wouldn't be worth it.
    It would be in character that Logan says it in front of Magneto, though… He had no problem with saying what he had to say, in the past… This spineless attitude is very un-X-men to me.

The X-men may know who is Magneto. I, on the other hand, don't know who are the X-men anymore.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    Im more surprised that the word apparently for many people is just an innocent slur.

Is the word used commonly by members of the X-Men ??

Is not a test or a challenge to anyone in particular, honest question.

I always associate the word to the Acolytes.
    I mean "Flatscan" is used by those not at the top, it's used by the group who has been marginalized, victims of genocide.

Maybe I'm missing something out because English is not my first language but I feel like getting insulted by the word "Flatscan" is akin to Karen feeling like she's a victim because someone called her "whitey".
    "I wish I could live life five times over!
    Then I’d be born in five different places,
    and I’d stuff myself with different food from around the world.
    I’d live five different lives with five different occupations...
    and then, for those five times...
    I’d fall in love with the same person...
    "

- Orihime Inoue

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    It would be in character that Logan says it in front of Magneto, though… He had no problem with saying what he had to say, in the past… This spineless attitude is very un-X-men to me.

The X-men may know who is Magneto. I, on the other hand, don't know who are the X-men anymore.
    I guess I just don't see it as spineless. I think they're hopeful it works out, trying this unity thing at least in the beginning stages of building the nation. We shall see. Logan: "But as someone who's done terrible things... and moved past them... I suppose I gotta trust the same is possible for everybody else... or not".

I hope you're at least enjoying the ride we're on even if you're feeling uncertain. This is who the X-Men are to me:

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

*sniff*

What's that smell? What did you expect... tears?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Free Me View Post
    I mean "Flatscan" is used by those not at the top, it's used by the group who has been marginalized, victims of genocide.

Maybe I'm missing something out because English is not my first language but I feel like getting insulted by the word "Flatscan" is akin to Karen feeling like she's a victim because someone called her "whitey".
    It’s basically the prospect of it still being a racially derogatory term. I’d say it’s more akin to calling someone who is white a “cracker”. It doesn’t matter which side of the fence you’re on, you’re still in the wrong when you use such terms as at that point, you’re talking about someone based on nothing more than their race rather than their character and lumping them all into one label. And while mutants are a minority, they view themselves as superior so any time they’re calling a human “flatscan”, it’s them talking down to humans because they think that they’re better than them.

Betsy made it clear to Excalibur that they serve at the pleasure of the Queen and her people, even if they protest and throw bottles at Remy.

Laura quickly shut down Paige when Paige made a comment about not wanting to help the humans. Magneto told Psylocke that he backs her for wanting to help humanity and provided her a jet. They then defeated Apoth who was threatening humanity.

Domino spent the last issue trying to stop an assassin from killing more humans.

I love this. We're getting characterization both in what characters say and who they even bother saying it to. As you said, he's locked in his ways and it's just a waste of time. Meanwhile as much as Quire seems to annoy Wolverine, the ole furball still cares enough to steer the kid in the right direction with his comment. The writers are even varying in their delivery of said lines to keep things in character. It's this consistency and detail that I'm seeing across the best books of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Free Me View Post
    Once, one of my friends said, beginning a sentence: "you the white people". The feeling was quite strange because I never identified myself with a group called "the white people".

It wasn't even a derogatory term and, in a way, it was justified because we were talking about sunburns… As a shortcut for "you like those who have a skin closer to the white color than I do…", it works.

Still, a curious tingling… It was my first and my last incursion in the group "the white people".
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

We are so used to the X-Men fighting for everything that seeing them collaborate with people with whom they do not share their ideals 100% seems strange to us.

Yes, not everyone thinks like Magneto. No, it is no reason for them to leave Krakoa because as much as Magneto speaks, he is helping the mutants. There are undoubtedly evil people in Krakoa but for now, apparently, they are collaborating. And there is no country without evil people and being evil, if you do not act against the law, it is not illegal.

Extraordinary Member

But are they collaborating? Apocalypse is clearly planning something, Shaw and several others just had a senior X-Men and Concil member murdered, Sinister is being Sinister, and Mystique is planning a BBQ. Charles and Moira are also up to ****.

Oddly, the only people I'm not really worried about are Magneto and Emma, because even if they scheme and scheme, I'm sure they believe in Krakoa. Not sure about the others.