Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast
    Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Flatscans is a really lame, dated jibe. If they’re serious about mutant culture they need better insults for us.
    Unless the power dynamics in the MU significantly change, there is no word that can be created that would actually be insulting or damaging. They all amount to the same thing, "you're one of the privileged and powerful majority that control the planet". Ooh, burn.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    The gormless flatscans don't need a new insult.

Why would that even come to your mind? Plus I don't think it works like that...
    I think it's a valid concern at this point.

We all know they won't do it, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Dude.
    It really isn't....
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Why would that even come to your mind? Plus I don't think it works like that...
    Claremont did that a lot, though: putting characters in uncomfortable situations to make readers think about their own beliefs…

However, I don't think Hickman will do that: he doesn't seem to be very interested by people in inner turmoil and moral dilemmas…
    He seems to be more in clever plots and grand schemes…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

That is Hickman's main problem: he's so clever and intellectually based that the warmer parts sometimes get lost(A hugging that Summoner kid was suprisingly tender, though, and NM's Sunspot is a charm beast). Claremont was really great at the soap opera part, so much so that it didn't really matter that his plots were just thin redressings of whatever was on tv or at the movies in those days(the Brood/Aliens, Shi'ar/Star Wars/Star Trek, Hellfire Club/The Avengers tv show, etc). Claremont did have nice little social commentaries, and enough vocabulary and geography/historical/literary references that kept it smart enough. Hickman's balance is a little more distorted so far it would seem in favor of the 'plots and schemes', but he does have a dash of heart, at least.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member

But again, that is just Hickman's style. It's what he does, gor better and for worse.

We've seen writers try and play it like Claremont and it's just too hard. The guy was a genius at making those soap opera elements work. And also adding all those fetishes...

As for the killing of babies, it's not like they would show some awful and graphic scene. And I don't think Hickman would likely do it. But if being a mutant is so important, what do you do with children who aren't? People keep bringing up Shogo, but there's a strong case being made that Shogo will be written out of the books soon enough. And why is that? Just because kids are annoying to write? Or because the writers need humans off the island?

But again, that is just Hickman's style. It's what he does, gor better and for worse.

We've seen writers try and play it like Claremont and it's just too hard. The guy was a genius at making those soap opera elements work. And also adding all those fetishes...

As for the killing of babies, it's not like they would show some awful and graphic scene. And I don't think Hickman would likely do it. But if being a mutant is so important, what do you do with children who aren't? People keep bringing up Shogo, but there's a strong case being made that Shogo will be written out of the books soon enough. And why is that? Just because kids are annoying to write? Or because the writers need humans off the island?
    Babies are boring. Unless you age them up, they are useless and/or a burden for a good story

No one's gonna be Killin' Kids dude This ain't Ireland lol.
    But Which issues of Xmen have you been reading that would make you think that's a possibility?
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    No one's gonna be Killin' Kids dude This ain't Ireland lol.
    But Which issues of Xmen have you been reading that would make you think that's a possibility?
    You mean in general? Because there are a ton of recent comics with dead kids. Fewer babies, but remember what happened to Jamie Maddrox.

Also, again, I don't think Hickman would actually do it.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Actually, "flatscan" could become a better insult as time goes on, especially for human children born to two mutant parents.

How are they going to handle that? I may be asking a lot, but does Krakoa have some way around it? Would the baby be killed and resurrected with the X-gene?

We all know they won't do it, of course.
    Are you kidding me? Your leap is to Krakoa murdering babies, that idea is messed up.

1. You assume without evidence that there will be enough normal human offspring of mutant parents for the insult to become prevalent.
    2. You assume without evidence that human births will be enough of a problem that Krakoa needs a solution
    3. You assume without evidence that (and the first thing you leap to is) that they are going to start murdering babies so that it can be genetically altered and given an X-Gene.
    4. You acknowledge that it would not happen but...
    5. You somehow think this is a valid concern.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    That is Hickman's main problem: he's so clever and intellectually based that the warmer parts sometimes get lost(A hugging that Summoner kid was suprisingly tender, though, and NM's Sunspot is a charm beast). Claremont was really great at the soap opera part, so much so that it didn't really matter that his plots were just thin redressings of whatever was on tv or at the movies in those days(the Brood/Aliens, Shi'ar/Star Wars/Star Trek, Hellfire Club/The Avengers tv show, etc). Claremont did have nice little social commentaries, and enough vocabulary and geography/historical/literary references that kept it smart enough. Hickman's balance is a little more distorted so far it would seem in favor of the 'plots and schemes', but he does have a dash of heart, at least.
    I found his Avengers lacking in heart but often I feel that way about the Avengers in general. With the mutants though I feel he's had some shining moments.
    Scott showing concern for Ororo in X-Men #1 and of course this...

pass me a tissue, please
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    Are you kidding me? Your leap is to Krakoa murdering babies, that idea is messed up.

1. You assume without evidence that there will be enough normal human offspring of mutant parents for the insult to become prevalent.
    2. You assume without evidence that human births will be enough of a problem that Krakoa needs a solution
    3. You assume without evidence that (and the first thing you leap to is) that they are going to start murdering babies so that it can be genetically altered and given an X-Gene.
    4. You acknowledge that it would not happen but...
    5. You somehow think this is a valid concern.
    I just brought it up as something I think about. You guys are the ones freaking out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I found his Avengers lacking in heart but often I feel that way about the Avengers in general. With the mutants though I feel he's had some shining moments.
    Scott showing concern for Ororo in X-Men #1 and of course this...

pass me a tissue, please
    I suppose you don't find Magneto pompous saying that…

I think Hickman is a bit confusing regarding Magneto: either he's the Daddy mutant champion that wants to protect all the little mutants or he's the mutant supermacist that regards humans as lowlifes.
    It doesn't seem very consistent to me.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post

I think Hickman is a bit confusing regarding Magneto: either he's the Daddy mutant champion that wants to protect all the little mutants or he's the mutant supermacist that regards humans as lowlifes.
    Those don’t conflict with each other. Why can’t he be both?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post

Huh, to me Magneto has been one of the most consistently written characters since HOX. You can tell Hickman likes writing in his voice
    He's leaning heavily into the O Great Saviour of Mutants angle because its what he's always believed in and, on a slightly more egotistical level, what he's always wanted. He's wanted mutant children to thrive, feel safe and protected. He's wanted mutants to "unshackle" themselves, if you will, from their human counterparts. He's been vilified for decades because of these views, and now its all coming true and he's milking every second of vindication - pure "human" nature

so I guess what I'm trying to say is that he's both mutant champion and, to a degree, supremacist. (He is making nice with the silly humans after all, isn't he?) I wouldn't say this is inconsistent characterization, rather just more layered

tldr:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Those don’t conflict with each other. Why can’t he be both?