Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Hope this does well enough to go beyond the 6 issues, because I would happily ditch the main universe for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’m loving the way this sounds...

...But I’m also really, really, praying that Dini doesn’t touch the Babs/Bruce relationship that the DCAU invoked at any level.

That’s like the one single element that I always found just got worse the more they delved into it.

Because the second I saw Batgirl on that cover, I had flashbacks of the Batman Beyond comics deciding that’s Babs getting pregnant and suffering a miscarriage by Bruce, or of Timm and co. doing what they did in their Killing Joke adapatation.

It was only ever useful for one maybe semi-decent reveal for why Babs and Bruce were embittered in the Beyond Cartoon, but otherwise it’s just always a mess.
    I can't be sure, but I think Bruce/Babs is more of a Timm thing than Dini. Dini seems to prefer Bruce/Selina (and Bruce/Zatanna). I don't know how he feels about Dick/Babs though, maybe he will go for that.

I tend to trust Dini more than Timm in general. They are great together, or were, but Dini respects the characters more I think. And of the two, I think he's better for Superman and possibly Wonder Woman as well. Because Timm definitely isn't great with them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    The third one was the animal rights activist Catwoman; but that was WB fault.
    I will say that when it comes to that part of Catwoman, it only really paid off in one of the comic books which explained why her hair was blonde in the series (it was hair dye). I'd say Catwoman wasn't handled that well in BTAS in general (she was caught and unmasked in her first appearance, and was treated like a damsel in distress more than a crafty criminal), she was more true to form in TNBA, but I feel the damage was done by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’m loving the way this sounds...

...But I’m also really, really, praying that Dini doesn’t touch the Babs/Bruce relationship that the DCAU invoked at any level.

That’s like the one single element that I always found just got worse the more they delved into it.

Because the second I saw Batgirl on that cover, I had flashbacks of the Batman Beyond comics deciding that’s Babs getting pregnant and suffering a miscarriage by Bruce, or of Timm and co. doing what they did in their Killing Joke adapatation.

It was only ever useful for one maybe semi-decent reveal for why Babs and Bruce were embittered in the Beyond Cartoon, but otherwise it’s just always a mess.
    The Bruce/Babs romance started rearing it's ugly head as early as BTAS where Batgirl was having fantasies about Batman. However I would have treated that as a "never meet your heroes" schoolgirl crush... but apparently it went further. Timm sure liked that romance for some reason.

I wonder what if they'll add some of the more modern touches to the established characters, or if they'll keep their interpretations from the cartoon. Things like Poison Ivy being a brilliant chemist who controls plants through chemicals rather than chlorokinesis, or Harley's classic personality over her modern one (which would make more sense as we see where she ends up in animated continuity).
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 02-14-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I will say that when it comes to that part of Catwoman, it only really paid off in one of the comic books which explained why her hair was blonde in the series (it was hair dye). I'd say Catwoman wasn't handled that well in BTAS in general (she was caught and unmasked in her first appearance, and was treated like a damsel in distress more than a crafty criminal), she was more true to form in TNBA, but I feel the damage was done by that point.
    […]
    Time ago I found out an interview (I don't remember where) in which Bruce Timm said they had to write Catwoman in that way and they hated it.

Astonishing Member

Since they will (probably) never make another Batman cartoon as good as B:TAS, should they reboot/refresh the show?

They could return to the source material...

Use lost ideas like Black Canary and Nocturna...

They could write Catwoman better this time...

Maybe Batman could lose the underoos...

just a thought

Mighty Member

Time ago I found out an interview (I don't remember where) in which Bruce Timm said they had to write Catwoman in that way and they hated it.
    Hmm, that makes sense. Interestingly they were forced to keep Penguin's design similar to how it was in Batman Returns (movie synergy and all that), but kept the personality to the classic comic interpretation (gentleman of crime). By the time TNBA came Penguin's design matched his personality, but oddly Catwoman was altered to look like she did in Batman Returns.

Also, design wise it makes me wonder what they are going to go with... From the Bat family you would think TNBA, but some of the rogues have their BTAS designs... maybe they'll do what they finally did with the Joker in Batman Beyond merge the the best elements of both designs together.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Since they will (probably) never make another Batman cartoon as good as B:TAS, should they reboot/refresh the show?

They could return to the source material...

Use lost ideas like Black Canary and Nocturna...
    […]
    Are you sure they didn't have any project about Nocturna?

Hmm, that makes sense. Interestingly they were forced to keep Penguin's design similar to how it was in Batman Returns (movie synergy and all that), but kept the personality to the classic comic interpretation (gentleman of crime). By the time TNBA came Penguin's design matched his personality, but oddly Catwoman was altered to look like she did in Batman Returns.

Also, design wise it makes me wonder what they are going to go with... From the Bat family you would think TNBA, but some of the rogues have their BTAS designs... maybe they'll do what they finally did with the Joker in Batman Beyond merge the the best elements of both designs together.
    If I remember well they had to fight for almost everything: character design, character personality, architectural style of Gotham, plot of the episodes…
    From the book about Batman TAS: click here.

Astonishing Member

Are you sure they didn't have any project about Nocturna?
    I know they had a project about Nocturna. They didn't use her because of blood...while, at the same time, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a major hit for the WB.

If I remember well they had to fight for almost everything: character design, character personality, architectural style of Gotham, plot of the episodes…
    From the book about Batman TAS: click here.
    Maybe this time they won't have to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I forget that TNBA has 90s Nightwing. That hair is the second thing I don't like about this animation era. The first thing is BruceBabs romance.
    How dare you speak i'll of his 90's mullet, let his hair flow.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I know they had a project about Nocturna. They didn't use her because of blood...while, at the same time, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a major hit for the WB.
    […]
    Yes, they didn't used Nocturna, but they showed us people who used submachine gun, Joker who hit Harley…
    Sometime the censors know a logic which doesn't know logic.

The different series did for the most part. They were mainly stand alone stories like the cartoon with the exception of Batman Adventures which had a bit more serialization.
    I do sometimes watch stuff by that Watchtower Database YouTube channel, where the fans running it put together a chronology that tries to fit all the DCAU shows and tie-ins into a timeline. On some of their videos, they have mentioned that specific comics just don't fit in continuity anymore, but they do seem to be as inclusive as possible. Was never sure if the Powers That Be ever gave the tie-ins any measure of canonicity or if it was just the Database people making their own judgement call. (Either way, it is pretty interesting to listen to them present their stuff.)

(Only comic based on the show I read was that crossover with the 2012 Ninja Turtles. Pretty good, although I was never sure if it was "supposed" to be in continuity, even if it did answer a few questions from the show.)

The thing that makes me wonder about it is mainly Templeton being there (though I suppose that could mean nothing).
    Why's that?

I REALLY wonder about what they will do with Jason due to Tim in the DCAU basically was Jason...right down to Joker forever tainting his life.
    Maybe Jason could be Tim, so to speak?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Batman & Harley was a fantastic cartoon, what are you talking about?

It was just weird and off kilter and not at all like the old DCAU. But I've never understood why so many here dislike that show; I found it to be tons of fun, and much smarter than it might appear at first glance.

But then, I have a twisted and dark and weird sense of humor......
    Didn't the old TV show basically do that movie in a 22-minute episode once?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Glad this is on the way. I'll definitely be giving this a read.
    "If you're not moving, you're not living. No matter how bad it gets or how many hits you take, keep trying."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'd pick up at least one of those covers for them alone, but I'm always willing to give Dini on Batman an issue. Even Countdown can't sour my respect for some of the man's work, and boy was Countdown a mess!

This couldn't have come at a better time. I need some good Batman and family content.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    How dare you speak i'll of his 90's mullet, let his hair flow.
    Lol. That mullet was Glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This couldn't have come at a better time. I need some good Batman and family content.
    It'll be nice to read about a consistently likeable Batman again.