Boisterously Confused

Default How would Marvel have revised DC Characters for their Universe

A discussion on the Controversial Opinions thread wandered into the topic of how fragile DC was right before Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculated on what Marvel might have done had they bought DC. Given how Marvel tended to completely retool some of their existing IP as they built the Marvel Universe (Vision, the Falcon, Black Widow, the list is pretty long), it got me curious about how Marvel might have altered any DC IP they picked up back in 1986. What do you think?

Pick a DC character, and propose a reimagined Marvel version. Are their powers different? Their backstory? Their supporting cast? Get wild!

Extraordinary Member

I never read Marvel comics so I don't really know about their style.

I do know that Stan Lee reimagined several DC heroes in a mini-series awhile back. It was called Just Imagine

Here's a link to the Wikipedia page to see what he did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Imagine...

It's only the golden age names who got completely revamped, and that's honestly no different to DC (DC kept Superman, Batman, Robin, Aquaman and Wonder Woman the same, Marvel did the same thing with Captain America and Sub-Mariner) - both companies repurposed other names for new characters.

I think if Marvel had taken over DC - in any era - the big name characters would remain intact, though they would either be continuity rebooted due to not previously existing in the Marvel Universe, or an event done to merge DC's Prime Earth with Earth-616. The teams would probably be jumbled up. Imagine things like Doctor Strange or Wiccan working with Justice League Dark, a Green Lantern fighting with the Avengers in space, Speed (of the Young Avengers) and Kid Flash having a race...

The Squadron Supreme would disappear, as they're a Justice League expy and would be redundant. And Aquaman and Namor would probably both need to be changed, as they can't both be king of Atlantis. Their backstories would have to be altered to make them compatible.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's only the golden age names who got completely revamped, and that's honestly no different to DC (DC kept Superman, Batman, Robin, Aquaman and Wonder Woman the same, Marvel did the same thing with Captain America and Sub-Mariner) - both companies repurposed other names for new characters.

I think if Marvel had taken over DC - in any era - the big name characters would remain intact, though they would either be continuity rebooted due to not previously existing in the Marvel Universe, or an event done to merge DC's Prime Earth with Earth-616. The teams would probably be jumbled up. Imagine things like Doctor Strange or Wiccan working with Justice League Dark, a Green Lantern fighting with the Avengers in space, Speed (of the Young Avengers) and Kid Flash having a race...

The Squadron Supreme would disappear, as they're a Justice League expy and would be redundant. And Aquaman and Namor would probably both need to be changed, as they can't both be king of Atlantis. Their backstories would have to be altered to make them compatible.
    To my mind, Green Lantern probably would have been the smoothest import. He was a bit different from anything that Marvel had.

Except for Nova... Richard Rider and Hal Jordan even have identical origin stories.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Most of the metahumans would be mutants.

BANNED

Shooter would had used these first

SUPERMAN
    BATMAN
    WONDER WOMAN
    GREEN LANTERN
    TEEN TITANS
    JUSTICE LEAGUE
    LEGION OF SUPER HEROES

And they get more humanized, the powers less op too.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Except for Nova... Richard Rider and Hal Jordan even have identical origin stories.
    Only superficially. At the time, Nova was a fast-flying brick. The Nova Corps played virtually no role in his story until near his original title's end.