Default Dark Horse's Ghost and X series question

I used to be a huge fan of the Dark Horse Heroes line back in the late 90s, Ghost and X in particular. Digging through my comic boxes today, I was surprised to find I still had Ghost volume 1, issues 1-7 and Motorhead issues 1-2.

This made me want to reread Ghost and X, so I did some investigating online to see how many back issues I need to track down, and was surprised to learn that both series had comebacks back in 2013 or around then.

My question is are these newer series set in the same continuity as the original series are, or are they their own thing. X seems like it might be in the same continuity, but Ghost seems to be set in Chicago now as opposed to Arcadia. Is it just a location change for the character, or a whole new continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
    I used to be a huge fan of the Dark Horse Heroes line back in the late 90s, Ghost and X in particular. Digging through my comic boxes today, I was surprised to find I still had Ghost volume 1, issues 1-7 and Motorhead issues 1-2.

This made me want to reread Ghost and X, so I did some investigating online to see how many back issues I need to track down, and was surprised to learn that both series had comebacks back in 2013 or around then.

My question is are these newer series set in the same continuity as the original series are, or are they their own thing. X seems like it might be in the same continuity, but Ghost seems to be set in Chicago now as opposed to Arcadia. Is it just a location change for the character, or a whole new continuity?
    They were a new continuity. It was called Project Black Sky. The original continuity was revived with Catalyst Comics, but it didn't feature any of the Project Black Sky characters, and was very, very experimental.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Was Project Black Sky any good? Or should I just stick to the original stuff?

And I will add Catalyst Comix to my list when I start grabbing the original line.

Edit: I just found a list on Wikipedia with all the Project Black Sky titles on it, and it lists Catalyst Comix as being part of PBS? So is it old or new continuity, I'm now confused.
    Last edited by FrogMan; 02-14-2020 at 04:47 PM.

And I will add Catalyst Comix to my list when I start grabbing the original line.

Edit: I just found a list on Wikipedia with all the Project Black Sky titles on it, and it lists Catalyst Comix as being part of PBS? So is it old or new continuity, I'm now confused.
    Catalyst Comix is NOT PBS. Old continuity. But it might as well be its own thing, as much as it ties into anything else.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

I enjoyed the Black Sky series, especially Captain Midnight, as much as the Arcadia series. If you enjoyed the original, I would recommend giving the new series a go.

I'm totally going to. Gonna collect and reread all the original stuff first.

Also, does anybody know of any podcasts covering the DH heroes? I can't find a single one online.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    I enjoyed the Black Sky series, especially Captain Midnight, as much as the Arcadia series. If you enjoyed the original, I would recommend giving the new series a go.
    I agree with this. Captain Midnight wound up being really enjoyable... but not in an “this is awesome” way so much as a steady and constant build of good storytelling.

Honestly though, I enjoyed the 90s stuff a lot more ... esp for X.

I'm having tons of fun with the original stuff right now. Just got to the Hunting the Heroes issue of Ghost.

What was that particular Predator thinking anyway?

Sorry to double post, but I was wondering if the original 16 issue Comics Greatest World series has a particular reading order, or can you just read any of the 4 Cities sections in whatever order you want?

There was a reading order. The wiki page has it midway on the page (under storylines).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics%27_Greatest_World

Okay cool. Thanks. I started reading the Barb Wire issue first and it felt like I was coming in during the middle of something. I have it all sorted now though.

I'm going to have to go back and re-read these now - I really LOVED X back when it was coming out, and was so disappointed when it was cancelled. I believe Grant said it was tied to the price increase that Dark Horse instituted, which led to a dramatic decline in sales. Prior to that X was on fire (and I believe got mentioned as one of the top 25 heroes of the year by Wizard).

The whole new universe world building that they did with all of this was incredible.