Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 214
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    175

    Default Superman secret identity reveal worst storyline since "Grounded "?

    Show me where I'm wrong.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    Show me where I'm wrong.
    *Points at the words and pictures on the pages*
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

  3. #3
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,736

    Default

    Superman Rebirth was the low point for the character. The current stuff is probably the strongest the titles have been in a decade.

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,106

    Default

    Dude, you've made your opinion on the Bendis run pretty clear, and haven't passed on any opportunity to vent about your displeasure.

    I'm not trying to change your mind on anything, you already made it up. And it's DC's job to make you enjoy their product, not mine.

    I'm with DoT and Flash, Superman hasn't been this good since Morrison's early Action issues. Between this and Smashes the Klan, I've been a very happy Super fan lately, which is a nice change of pace.

    Hopefully you get whatever it is you want from a Superman product somewhere else, and soon. No one should have to go without their Superman fix, but if you don't like the Bendis run, that's a "you" problem, not a "us" one.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  5. #5
    Incredible Member OpaqueGiraffe17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Unity Saga is IMO, the worst Superman story I’ve ever read. I’ve dropped the books but I can’t imagine them getting worse than that.

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,881

    Default

    NO letting Bendis onto the Superman titles and dismantling the family aspects of Superman sort of destroys the character a bit. That and maybe how they never truly allow Jimmy to know and understand the Secret ID o Superman within both Truth and who knows how long this would last.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,972

    Default

    I mean, Year One exists, so no this isn't the worst of the decade. Not by a long shot. Chuck Austen's run quite literally ended his career in comics. There's a lot of that stuff makes Grounded look pretty decent by comparison.

    I'm actually liking the reveal story so far. Even if the continuity hiccups are annoying and make no sense.

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    Show me where I'm wrong.
    I could make an argument that this is worse. Grounded's major sin was just that it was boring as absolute fck. Characterizations were off, but even sometimes that in certain degrees can be tolerated if the story around it is readable. This wasn't. Not until Roberson tried to salvage it at least, but at that point it was too late to really care that much and still it was just a waiting game for it to all be over. However, at the same time it wasn't making sweeping changes intended to be permanent to the character's very foundation. The storytelling isn't even necessarily that bad, but I just can't get on board with the alterations. I don't see them as natural evolution, I see it as trying to change a character into something else entirely. Bendis is tearing apart a large part of who Superman is with this, without understanding why its important, and his reasons are very superficial. Again, Grounded was just at the end of the day a bad, boring story. You move on from that with relative ease. This will be harder to fix.

    The tragedy of it all for me is that I felt it started way better than Rebirth ever was. But alas.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-13-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  9. #9
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I could make an argument that this is worse. Grounded's major sin was just that it was boring as absolute fck. Characterizations were off, but even sometimes that in certain degrees can be tolerated if the story around it is readable. This wasn't. Not until Roberson tried to salvage it at least, but at that point it was too late to really care that much and still it was just a waiting game for it to all be over. However, at the same time it wasn't making sweeping changes intended to be permanent to the character's very foundation. The storytelling isn't even necessarily that bad, but I just can't get on board with the alterations. I don't see them as natural evolution, I see it as trying to change a character into something else entirely. Bendis is tearing apart a large part of who Superman is with this, without understanding why its important, and his reasons are very superficial. Again, Grounded was just at the end of the day a bad, boring story. You move on from that with relative ease. This will be harder to fix.

    The tragedy of it all for me is that I felt it started way better than Rebirth ever was. But alas.
    A good reboot and a new writer will fix this.

  10. #10
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,551

    Default

    What a strange little thread. What's the idea here? Debate? A real exchange of ideas? How dose anyone prove your personal taste and feelings that you've clearly made your mind up on wrong? Like I said, strange thread, man.

    Anyways, what Dispenser Of Truth said/pointed at.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    Who tryina throw some hands in SFV or Granblue Fantasy Vs?

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I could make an argument that this is worse. Grounded's major sin was just that it was boring as absolute fck. Characterizations were off, but even sometimes that in certain degrees can be tolerated if the story around it is readable. This wasn't. Not until Roberson tried to salvage it at least, but at that point it was too late to really care that much and still it was just a waiting game for it to all be over. However, at the same time it wasn't making sweeping changes intended to be permanent to the character's very foundation. The storytelling isn't even necessarily that bad, but I just can't get on board with the alterations. I don't see them as natural evolution, I see it as trying to change a character into something else entirely. Bendis is tearing apart a large part of who Superman is with this, without understanding why its important, and his reasons are very superficial. Again, Grounded was just at the end of the day a bad, boring story. You move on from that with relative ease. This will be harder to fix.

    The tragedy of it all for me is that I felt it started way better than Rebirth ever was. But alas.
    I just reread Grounded recently and I’m sorry to say that Roberson’s stuff sucks too. However that one issue in the middle with the Superman Squad and Fortress of Solidarity was amazing and I want to see that show up again.

    Anyway OP, the worst story since Grounded is Truth. It had some good parts (Pak’s motorcycle t-shirt and jeans Supes was fun), but it was waaaaaay worse than this.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    What a strange little thread. What's the idea here? Debate? A real exchange of ideas? How dose anyone prove your personal taste and feelings that you've clearly made your mind up on wrong? Like I said, strange thread, man.

    Anyways, what Dispenser Of Truth said/pointed at.
    Change his mind. Say why this reveal and comic is great.

  13. #13
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Change his mind.
    No. Or rather, why? This person has clearly made up their mind. I'm not going to debate or even really engage in meaningful conversation with an uninterested wall? And, frankly, I don't care. Live and let live.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    Who tryina throw some hands in SFV or Granblue Fantasy Vs?

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    No. Or rather, why? This person has clearly made up their mind. I'm not going to debate or even really engage in meaningful conversation with an uninterested wall? And, frankly, I don't care. Live and let live.
    He has to a degree. But, there is enough flexibility to ask "show me where i am wrong" .

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,787

    Default

    I prefer this reveal x1000s more than N52 (the only one I've ever read so i can't speak on any other past reveals) and I do think Bendis is doing fine writing Superman. He hasn't gotten everything 100% right but I don't think it's not the dumpster fire some make it to be but they are welcome to their opinions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •