Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Seriously, why does ANYONE trust Batman?
    They keep forgetting that Frank Miller phased out the good one decades ago and keep acting like it's the same person.

Mighty Member

I really dont understand the Hate about Bendis. I think the Superman Books are really good and im loving the reveal of his identity.It makes you wonder whats next.Same as Batman is these days

Not a fan of the reveal, but Bendis writing is very good. Hope he sticks around for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I kinda see the "secret identity" thing as a weird relic. hiding your identity like that in modern society just doesn't make sense. Especially since it's actually only a few characters that do that.
    I don't. The main reason for secret identities is to protect loved ones from enemies.

Any idiot off the street can shoot Lois, Jimmy or Perry and boast that they hurt Superman by killing the ones he loves. Imagine hurting Superman like the Green Goblin hurt Spider-Man by tossing Gwen Stacy off a bridge? Or the Kingpin sending a sniper after Aunt May after Spider-Man revealed his secret identity.

Bad guys WILL go after loved ones out of spite.

They addressed this in Superman #19, but I still think that this is a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf1984 View Post
    I don't. The main reason for secret identities is to protect loved ones from enemies.

Any idiot off the street can shoot Lois, Jimmy or Perry and boast that they hurt Superman by killing the ones he loves. Imagine hurting Superman like the Green Goblin hurt Spider-Man by tossing Gwen Stacy off a bridge? Or the Kingpin sending a sniper after Aunt May after Spider-Man revealed his secret identity.

They addressed this in Superman #19, but I still think that this is a terrible idea.
    But who would be dumb enough to want to hurt Superman that way ?

I mean, I'm just perhaps not able to think that way, but I hardly find "making a god-like being extremely angry at me", to actually be that great of a career plan... There is plenty of ways Superman could hurt me terribly without killing me. And it'd be understandable that he lost it for a time.

A super-powered villain, yes, I can see him/her doing that. But in a sense, they already do when they attack Metropolis. That Lois, Jimmy and co. are the main targets is hardly a change, if at all, I think. But I may be wrong.

Loved ones get hurt in spite of secret identities all the time. The first Sinister Six had the villains kidnapping Aunt May and Betty Brant and none of them knew Peter Parker was actually Spider-Man. In the Batman/Superman animated crossover, one terrorist practically craps his pants when he realizes he is talking to the Lois Lane, "the one whom Superman always saves".

If anything, knowing Lois is married to Superman could decrease the danger in some ways. How many people are stupid enough to want things to get personal with Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    But who would be dumb enough to want to hurt Superman that way ?

I mean, I'm just perhaps not able to think that way, but I hardly find "making a god-like being extremely angry at me", to actually be that great of a career plan... There is plenty of ways Superman could hurt me terribly without killing me. And it'd be understandable that he lost it for a time.
    Superman isn't going to hurt or kill anyone. At the very least, Batman would put you in the hospital, let alone prison.

A super-powered villain, yes, I can see him/her doing that. But in a sense, they already do when they attack Metropolis. That Lois, Jimmy and co. are the main targets is hardly a change, if at all, I think. But I may be wrong.
    Lois, Jimmy and company have even bigger targets on their backs now. Now, enemies might go out of their way to target them instead of trying to go for Superman directly.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Clark hasn't been a vigilante for eons. He isn't seen as an outlaw. Outing himself further proves the guy doesn't have a bone in him that can be seen as that of an outlaw. (Even if he was originally these things)There isn't a drama with lois and love triangle. It is at this point a relic from 1940s, That could work again if spun right.But, at the moment there isn't much need for it.
    Superman isn't going to hurt or kill anyone. At the very least, Batman would put you in the hospital, let alone prison.

Lois, Jimmy and company have even bigger targets on their backs now. Now, enemies might go out of their way to target them instead of trying to go for Superman directly.
    Yeah! He would absolutely put you in hospital. If writers aren't putting him up as the saint or boyscout or whatever.

They don't need superman to be targets. They were always getting into trouble.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-18-2020 at 07:59 AM.

Superman isn't going to hurt or kill anyone.
    He's a superhero, he hurts villains all the time. And it isn't even a guarantee that he won't kill you as Zod, Doomsday, Imperiex and Darkseid can attest to.

Lois is a reporter. She'll have a target on her back regardless of if her relationship to Superman is known.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-18-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I prefer this reveal x1000s more than N52 (the only one I've ever read so i can't speak on any other past reveals) and I do think Bendis is doing fine writing Superman. He hasn't gotten everything 100% right but I don't think it's not the dumpster fire some make it to be but they are welcome to their opinions.
    Agreed. The New 52 runs on the character, from Lobdell's to Perez's to (yes) Morrison's, make Bendis's run so far look like Shakespeare or Tennessee Williams in comparison. And I completely understand that a lot of that wasn't the fault of the actual writers during the New 52. So, I don't mean to disparage them at all. I still personally have my own issues with Bendis's run i.e. that its taken a downturn in quality since he's taken on much more responsibility at DC. He tends to do that whenever he takes on too many projects at the same time. That's what impaired a lot of his Marvel work too, unfortunately. However, his Superman still feels more Superman than a lot of the runs I've read since 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Superman Rebirth was the low point for the character. The current stuff is probably the strongest the titles have been in a decade.
    Yes, that makes sense since it was both critically acclaimed and pleased a large swath of fans...[/sarcasm]
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 02-18-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He's a superhero, he hurts villains all the time. And it isn't even a guarantee that he won't kill you as Zod, Doomsday, Imperiex and Darkseid can attest to.

Lois is a reporter. She'll have a target on her back regardless of if her relationship to Superman is known.
    Yeah! It's even in outside media.he beat darkseid to a pulp in animatated series and movies.this idea that clark is a harmless puppy is nonsense.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-18-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sure he beats up villains, but he doesn't break someone's back or snap people's bones to my knowledge.

An even bigger target under constant threat. The point of a secret identity is to prevent or at least lessen the danger to loved ones, not increase it. Now Lois isn't just one of Superman's friends, but his wife. If Superman's enemies can't handle the Man of Steel directly, just kill any of Clark Kent's friends for revenge. That's why I think this reveal is so foolish.

Sure he beats up villains, but he doesn't break someone's back or snap people's bones to my knowledge.

An even bigger target under constant threat. The point of a secret identity is to prevent or at least lessen the danger to loved ones, not increase it. Now Lois isn't just one of Superman's friends, but his wife. If Superman's enemies can't handle the Man of Steel directly, just kill any of Clark Kent's friends for revenge. That's why I think this reveal is so foolish.
    He might not look to, but it isn't entirely in his control. He would absolutely not mind using force or some broken bones.Everyone knows you don't tug on superman's cape or threaten his loved ones. Especially, his mother. All hell would break loose.

She is already in constant threat. She almost got her leg chopped off by Manchester black in rebirth.so,it wouldn't matter. lois was superman's girlfriend and it was public knowledge. Even in this runthere is cheating scandal with lois, clark and superman . Clark kents friends? Who from smallville? They got their own protection. In Metropolis he doesn't have that many friends. He was too busy playing up the clumsy act and feeling sorry for himself afterwards.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    She is already in constant threat. She almost got her leg chopped off by Manchester black in rebirth.so,it wouldn't matter. lois was superman's girlfriend and it was public knowledge. Even in this runthere is cheating scandal with lois, clark and superman . Clark kents friends? Who from smallville? They got their own protection. In Metropolis he doesn't have that many friends. He was too busy playing up the clumsy act and feeling sorry for himself afterwards.
    Sure Lois and Jimmy were always connected to Superman and logical targets, but now things only connected to Clark are public. The professor he had in Superman: Heroes, for example, had no connection to Superman before the reveelation, but now he's Superman's teacher. Add in any classmates Clark might have a connection to, the neighbors he had, or places Clark (not Superman) was known to frequent. And Superman has the type of enemies who'd actually target Clark's 1st grade teacher or his first apartment for revenge simply because they might not rate a Justice League guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Sure Lois and Jimmy were always connected to Superman and logical targets, but now things only connected to Clark are public. The professor he had in Superman: Heroes, for example, had no connection to Superman before the reveelation, but now he's Superman's teacher. Add in any classmates Clark might have a connection to, the neighbors he had, or places Clark (not Superman) was known to frequent. And Superman has the type of enemies who'd actually target Clark's 1st grade teacher or his first apartment for revenge simply because they might not rate a Justice League guard.
    But Superman (not Clark) has always been shown to have connections to people in Metropolis. From hot dog vendors, to Bibbo, the general staff of the Daily Planet, etc. So either he's a space monk with no human attachments as Superman or not.