Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Biggest complain I'm seeing here is that Superman might start losing to all the people he's been slagging for the past 80 years or so. If that's the case then it means you're getting worse at what you do and it's probably time to retire.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

While none of it is my bag whatsoever (hate SuperDad), this book is not in any way badly written or an unnatural evolution for the character.

Ironically, it's pretty much what "Fans" have been begging for for years...

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    While none of it is my bag whatsoever (hate SuperDad), this book is not in any way badly written or an unnatural evolution for the character.

Ironically, it's pretty much what "Fans" have been begging for for years...
    Trust me I could spend all day tearing Bendis' Superman run apart as a prime example of a badly written comic with unnatural evolution of the characters. As a longtime Superman fan, his run does almost everything I hate to see in Superman comics or comics in general.

Eh, different strokes. I've been reading Superman for a long time too and a lot of what you'd call out of character or unnatural evolution I'd probably call a return to the proper treatment of the character (or something, I don't know what it is you take issue with after all).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Trust me...
    I don't.

10 char.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Part of those allies of Kara's would be targeted, the others have their own issues they're dealing with. And Supes? Even more so with his allies, whom cannot spend all the time they have on guarding Clark's family and non-powered friends. They're all going through their own stuff right now as well.
    Kara's allies include other superheroes like her cousin and her sister who is a trained DEO agent. With the ties to a government organization she has she could have set up something like witness protection or a security system to protect her friends and family. If anything, knowing who Kara is should discourage villains trying this sort of thing because who wants a pissed off Kryptonian after them? See this preview from Superman: Villains where Firefly is about to attack the Daily Planet but then thinks better of it when Superman is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Kara's allies include other superheroes like her cousin and her sister who is a trained DEO agent. With the ties to a government organization she has she could have set up something like witness protection or a security system to protect her friends and family. If anything, knowing who Kara is should discourage villains trying this sort of thing because who wants a pissed off Kryptonian after them? See this preview from Superman: Villains where Firefly is about to attack the Daily Planet but then thinks better of it when Superman is there.
    For that matter, Clark has all that tech in the Fortress, and could likely get all kinds of stuff from his allies in the UP. I would be very surprised if Clark's close friends and family don't end up with some kind of security around their homes. Lois has had advanced alien weapons stashed around the house since at least Identity Crisis, and that was before Clark's identity was public.

I mean, at the very least he could put a couple Superman robots in low orbit to keep an eye on people, like secret service.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Wow that art is, not good.

Anyway, as I said, Kara's allies, including her cousin, have their own things to worry about. And maybe some villains would be deterred, but others that have a personal axe to grind? That have a particular hatred of the Kryptonians? It gives them more specific people to target, and could do it at almost any time.

To hand wave the public identity reveal, with such a weak "well, the villains would be scared to mess with them!" is poor storytelling at best. To take such a major action with little ramification is lazy.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Wow that art is, not good.

Anyway, as I said, Kara's allies, including her cousin, have their own things to worry about. And maybe some villains would be deterred, but others that have a personal axe to grind? That have a particular hatred of the Kryptonians? It gives them more specific people to target, and could do it at almost any time.

To hand wave the public identity reveal, with such a weak "well, the villains would be scared to mess with them!" is poor storytelling at best. To take such a major action with little ramification is lazy.
    This is effing superman, the fact that these nonsensical questions are being asked is how much dc has effed up with the character and the perception. It's a question on the man of tomorrow's credibility . The guy is more than enough to take the entire city of metropolis and set it up on jupiter. He is seen as incompetent, naive little puppy that can't hurt a fly. Anyone, that wants to try(like they haven't a million times before) are welcome to try and fail. Sure, these things will happen. That's the conflict and the story.A story without conflict is a meaning less exercise.Does'nt mean him coming out isn't the right thing to do. He finally quits with the facade of glasses and suits .
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-28-2020 at 11:47 AM.

See lazy storytelling to me is going the predictable route of "Clark's 3rd Grade Teacher is a target." Because that's what's assumed even though it really doesn't make much sense. I mean, the closest comparison is like the U.S. President. And terrorists don't target and the Secret Service don't protect randoms they interacted with.

I mean, no one takes out Tony Stark's preschool teacher to get back at him. Or Steve Rodgers neighbors.

And many of Superman's villians are way more larger scale than to care about that stuff. Like Mongul, Braniac, and Darkseid aren't going to give a crap about Smallville. Luthor, maybe depending on the version. But even him, that would be too petty I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    See lazy storytelling to me is going the predictable route of "Clark's 3rd Grade Teacher is a target." Because that's what's assumed even though it really doesn't make much sense. I mean, the closest comparison is like the U.S. President. And terrorists don't target and the Secret Service don't protect randoms they interacted with.

I mean, no one takes out Tony Stark's preschool teacher to get back at him. Or Steve Rodgers neighbors.

And many of Superman's villians are way more larger scale than to care about that stuff. Like Mongul, Braniac, and Darkseid aren't going to give a crap about Smallville. Luthor, maybe depending on the version. But even him, that would be too petty I'd imagine.
    Luthor, Cyborg Superman, Metallo, Bruno Mannheim, the Ultrahumanite, and I imagine a number of pissed off lower end criminals with an axe to grind.

That artwork looks embarrassingly terrible and frankly unfinished, wow...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

I'd say Superman is much more important than the U.S. President or secret service agents. And Steve Rogers neighbors have literally been tortured to death when his enemies found out who he is; that's why he lived in the Avengers Mansion when it was revealed.

Besides, Manchester Black went after everyone with the most tenuous connection to Superman, including Clark's high school gym teacher, his dentist, and Lex Luthor.
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 02-28-2020 at 01:13 PM.

That artwork is banging.

Can't figure out who's it is tho...

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I'd say Superman is much more important than the U.S. President or secret service agents. And Steve Rogers neighbors have literally been tortured to death when his enemies found out who he is; that's why he lived in the Avengers Mansion when it was revealed.

Besides, Manchester Black went after everyone with the most tenuous connection to Superman, including Clark's high school gym teacher, his dentist, and Lex Luthor.
    So that story has been done. And Manchester Black is actually an interesting example because his ultimate take away was that it wouldn't work. Luthor in that story had the information and did nothing with it himself (mainly out of his creepy love for Lois, but still).

I don't recall that Cap story, but it sounds like something form the 80's when secret identities were taken as a must as a matter of course. That isn't really the case anymore, particularly for Marvel where most of the Avengers are all public and even street level heroes like Hawkeye, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist are have been public for a long time.

Could they tell those stories? Yes, obviously. Is that the only story you can tell with a public hero? Definitely not. No one's complaining about the Avengers. I don't think it's fair to say it's lazy or contrived to not have his personal life burned down by this, particularly considering that that is the typical trope they go to for this stuff. Superman isn't Batman who has no public attachments to anyone. He has plenty, more than most public heroes probably.