Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Superman and Batman’s “best” stories tend not to be the ongoing monthlies, but moreso stand-alone trades that operate outside the main continuity. The reason for that is that the main books a lot of times get bogged down in DC’s obsession with trying to clean up their cluster**** of a continuity. Supes has had some great runs in his main books now and then, but a lot of trash as well. And to be perfectly blunt, a lot of the glorification of Pre-Flashpoint is nostalgia. Whatever you read as a kid tends to be stuff you look back fondly on. Not to say the New 52 was flawless because it wasn’t, no era is, but there were a lot of problems with Superman by the time the reboot hit, and frankly I welcomed the reboot when it did hit. Superman needed to just start over at that point.

You say don’t like origin stories and I can totally relate to that. I’m as sick of retellings of Superman’s origin stories as one can possibly be. It’s a thoroughly exhausted story at this point in my eyes. Unfortunately it’s a story that DC is obsessed with retelling and is one of the main focuses of standalone Superman books. But there are plenty of other books that aren’t origins. Adventures of Superman is a collection of one and done storyline and there’s a lot of good stories there. Smallville Season 11 is a fantastic Superman run that takes place after the TV show. It’s great regardless of whether or not you liked Smallville.
    I'm guessing I'm in the minority in saying while I can still enjoy a miniseries story... this is not the format I enjoy reading my stories in...

What excites me is picking up an issue and in the hands of a good writing team feel like 5 or 6 or 7 volumes later this big story is unfolding...

Like superman Transformed eventually lead into the Millennium giants are and then superman forever... damn Ioved that huge arc of 70 issues ...

Or how flashpoint lead into the action comics runs, all the superman wonder woman books and how all these stories played along with earth 2 stories that lead to Convergence that lead to rebirth and then reborn... we are talking about volumes upon volumes... this is what excited me..

Reading a 12 issue miniseries is great and all but the stories are much briefer and not as gigantic In world building...

Each to there own i guess... but I love the events like Infinite Crisis and final crisis and all the books that lead to these events are what excite me... mini series tend not to have the scope... not that they are in a vacuum always ... but you get my point

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I'm guessing I'm in the minority in saying while I can still enjoy a miniseries story... this is not the format I enjoy reading my stories in...

What excites me is picking up an issue and in the hands of a good writing team feel like 5 or 6 or 7 volumes later this big story is unfolding...

Like superman Transformed eventually lead into the Millennium giants are and then superman forever... damn Ioved that huge arc of 70 issues ...

Or how flashpoint lead into the action comics runs, all the superman wonder woman books and how all these stories played along with earth 2 stories that lead to Convergence that lead to rebirth and then reborn... we are talking about volumes upon volumes... this is what excited me..

Reading a 12 issue miniseries is great and all but the stories are much briefer and not as gigantic In world building...

Each to there own i guess... but I love the events like Infinite Crisis and final crisis and all the books that lead to these events are what excite me... mini series tend not to have the scope... not that they are in a vacuum always ... but you get my point
    I like that kind of stuff too. But it's just so hard to pull it off in a satisfying way. Too many books with too many mediocre to above average writers plus incompetent editing make it nearly impossible for those long arcs to pay off. Before New 52 we had "New Krypton" witch was doing that type of storytelling. I really liked it because it was this really big Superman story that involved all aspects his world. DC just quit on the whole thing and ruined it as usual.

Thumbs up

I've been excited about every major Superman development his revealing his dual identity to Lois, his marriage to Lois, his "death", Injust Superman (yeah, I'm a fan of the concept, sue me), Jon's birth, even (Comic Book Gods help me) Jor-El's return (initially anyway), exact, but this reveal falls flat on me. It comes across as a cheap attention whoring gimmick, nothing more nothing less, IMO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-21-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

One of the things about the costumed crimefighter idea that I've always found interesting is something DC usually hand waves. HOW do you keep your identity secret? As many enemies as Batman has, how has he kept ALL of them from finding out?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This will be harder to fix.
    Not really. Just wait for the next Crisis, and it will probably be undone.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I've been excited about every major Superman development his revealing his dual identity to Lois, his marriage to Lois, his "death", Injust Superman (yeah, I'm a fan of the concept, sue me), Jon's birth, even (Comic Book Gods help me) Jor-El's return (initially anyway), exact, but this reveal falls flat on me. It comes across as a cheap attention whoring gimmick, nothing more nothing less, IMO.
    I feel the opposite, actually. I feel like DC has tried really hard to do this one right. Truth was an attention whoring gimmick; "Lois revealed Clark's identity?! Whhaaa!!??" but with Bendis, this was set up from the start, and it's built pretty reasonably into the stuff Jurgens and Tomasi established. I feel like DC has tried to treat this the same way they're treating Jon; the next logical step in Clark's life and a natural progression. Stuff like Truth? Yeah, total BS garbage. This? This feels a bit more like the marriage, and the death/return, to me.

Don't get me wrong, this *is* an attention whoring gimmick. But I don't think that's all it is. Whether it sticks, who can say? Damn doubtful, but I feel like DC is trying to build this so it could. Stuff like Truth was never given this much care and consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    One of the things about the costumed crimefighter idea that I've always found interesting is something DC usually hand waves. HOW do you keep your identity secret? As many enemies as Batman has, how has he kept ALL of them from finding out?
    They wear extra masks under their mask. You pull one off, there's just another beneath it.

And you thought the utility belt was the only thing with infinite options! Ha!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The Supergirl TV show illustrated what happens when you reveal your secret identity to the public. I wonder if Superman in the Superman comic books will eventually suffer the same fate.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Not really. Just wait for the next Crisis, and it will probably be undone.
    I dunno, that might be a while now.

I agree. I don't like that or Jon getting older overnight. Bendis should write street-level books and Black Label. He would win awards with those.

AC 1020 proves my point I think. It was awful.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Yeah the Legion/Leviathan war these last few issues have not been to the usual standard. Romita Jr.'s art has not helped, but the structure of the this arc has been weird and loose and all over the place. Definitely not a great couple issues.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Anyways, yeah. Finally got around to watching the latest Supergirl episode, and it only reinforced my previous point; going public with the secret identity only causes those with an axe to grind to target specifically those closest and in a relentless manner. Not just this, "target the general public" stuff, but friends, family, and other such people specifically.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Anyways, yeah. Finally got around to watching the latest Supergirl episode, and it only reinforced my previous point; going public with the secret identity only causes those with an axe to grind to target specifically those closest and in a relentless manner. Not just this, "target the general public" stuff, but friends, family, and other such people specifically.
    Exactly, which is why the secret identity reveal is soooooo dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Too bad Kara doesn't have a network of allies to prevent stuff like this from happening... oh wait, she does.

I've enjoyed the story so far, but generally I'm against such a direction as this myself.

But I really don't buy the argument that this is putting everyone in more danger. The Kents, yes. They were well out of it, as well as Lana (and Pete, if he exists). But most of the major people in Clark's life were already in plenty of danger. Hell, in this current continuity, didn't the Kents spent years (or at least months) in witness protection because of Intergang? That had nothing to do with Clark at all, that was all Lois. And don't people attack the Planet, and Lois specifically, already? I mean what, is Metallo gonna kidnap Lois harder, try to kill her more dead?

There's gonna be blow back. Of course there is. But I don't think it's gonna be as big as people think. Most of the people Clark knows also know Superman, and already had targets on their backs. And for every villain who does decide to "kill 'em harder!" there's gonna be one who says "Wait, that's his wife and not just his booty call/PR person? Sh*t, I'm not calling down that kinda heat!"

Crap, we're starting to see the blow back already. Doesn't Firefly try to attack the Planet in that preview?

I mean, this has been a thing now for what, two-three issues? We *could* let it play out and actually see what happens. For all we know, things *will* blow up in everyone's face and Clark will have to find a way to put the genie back in the bottle. Maybe you're thinking "Bendis advocate for a secret ID? No way!" but we also said "Bendis coming to DC? He'll get Batman or some street level book, definitely not a cosmic character like Superman!" He might surprise all of us when it's all said and done.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Too bad Kara doesn't have a network of allies to prevent stuff like this from happening... oh wait, she does.
    Part of those allies of Kara's would be targeted, the others have their own issues they're dealing with. And Supes? Even more so with his allies, whom cannot spend all the time they have on guarding Clark's family and non-powered friends. They're all going through their own stuff right now as well.