Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He has to a degree. But, there is enough flexibility to ask "show me where i am wrong" .
    Again, I don't care. And given their past post, I can't take that all that seriously. But like I already said, live and let live.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-13-2020 at 11:26 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Honestly, I don't think anyone can change another's opinion other than the books themselves.

Amazing Member

It sucks and it's really bad but Grounded was worst. It's funny. What I generally don't don't like about the identity reveal now is pretty much the same way I felt during Grounded. That was a way dumber idea than this.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

JMS and Bendis... interesting comparison actually. Honestly, I don't think Grounded was that bad. Morrison's golden age riff turned out well, it happens that this one didn't. I think the damage control made the story a little better but the only reason I was down on it was because it came off of New Krypton which was extremely messy. I don't think JMS or Bendis have hit Truth or H'el levels yet. Superman volume 3 was out and out the worst imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Again, I don't care. And given their past post, I can't take that all that seriously. But like I already said, live and let live.
    The OP is a little vague but I wouldn't get bent outta shape about it. I certainly don't agree but there are a number of people who really think bendis ranks among the lowest so it's not surprising. I think the Jor El and Zaar combined fall puts and the latter Leviathan arcs were pretty disappointing.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Change his mind. Say why this reveal and comic is great.
    Nah, I'd rather just enjoy what I enjoy and let someone else enjoy what they enjoy. These things don't need to be taken so seriously.

Part of the problem that these characters are facing now is a fanbase that just wants to read a wikipedia page they came up with over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Part of the problem that these characters are facing now is a fanbase that just wants to read a wikipedia page they came up with over and over again.
    Huh. Do we now have three breaks in the fanbase? Do we now have the pre-Crisis group of fans, the post-Crisis group, and now the post-Rebirth group? Because a lot of the people I see who aren't enjoying Bendis' direction were also big fans of Tomasi and seem to view his approach to the character as the "correct" one. Not everyone of course (not lumping you in here Sacred ), and this observation just struck me so for all I know I'm wrong. But yeah, do we have three subsets in the fandom now?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't think what bendis does with clark is bad. But, i don't particularly like what bendis did to jon. Its rushed and it sucked the life out of the character. If that's what you mean by post-rebirth group then i am part of it .But then, portrayal of clark will not be the epicenter of it, unlike the other two groups. If that's the case, then there should be two groups for conner as well.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-14-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Huh. Do we now have three breaks in the fanbase? Do we now have the pre-Crisis group of fans, the post-Crisis group, and now the post-Rebirth group? Because a lot of the people I see who aren't enjoying Bendis' direction were also big fans of Tomasi and seem to view his approach to the character as the "correct" one. Not everyone of course (not lumping you in here Sacred ), and this observation just struck me so for all I know I'm wrong. But yeah, do we have three subsets in the fandom now?
    Yeah as usual I'm stuck in some weird place. I've always found myself there since the early 2000s when my feelings began to change. I mean before that it was simple. Post-Crisis or bust. A much, much simpler time. But then I discovered so much other stuff, began mixing and matching from the stuff I liked best, and here I am with an ideal that seems to be in theory what DC is doing, only its taking most of the stuff I don't like and mixing it, lol. Such is the way of this hobby.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-14-2020 at 10:04 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah as usual I'm stuck in some weird place. I've always found myself there since the early 2000s when my feelings began to change. I mean before that it was simple. Post-Crisis or bust. A much, much simpler time. But then I discovered so much other stuff, began mixing and matching from the stuff I liked best, and here I am with an ideal that seems to be in theory what DC is doing, only its taking most of the stuff I don't like and mixing it, lol. Such is the way of this hobby.
    I get it man. Once you recognize the glory of pre-Crisis, the current stuff.....becomes troublesome. I'm usually there with you in that weird place. And dont get me wrong, if this whole "public ID" thing does stick for more than five minutes, and if Bendis does continue doing it well.....I have much less faith in whoever eventually replaces him to continue making it work.

But then again, you haven't transitioned into the Superdad era very easily, either.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Definitely not, heh. But I will say this, if these first four generation one-shots are successful in setting up a semi-cohesive platform, that's at least something. At least then, when 5G dies hopefully a quick and merciful death, they can go back to the proper characters but can still use the same backdrop, without having to reset any farther reaching history. Stuff I don't like will probably remain, that's just the likely reality of things, that there will be a couple of elements that I'd just have to swallow if I wanted to read the main line again, but at the very least it could be a little more palatable. The pill would be a lot smaller than the one right now that I refuse to take, IOW. Of course since its this DC regime, even that much is a big if, but we'll see, and it is the one ounce of positivity I can see here.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-14-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

I suppose I could be lumped into the category of Tomasi supporter. I have an honest question. What was wrong with the direction Tomasi was going? The Rebirth Costume was an excellent update. You had the fun story of the Jon/Damien dynamic. And I guarantee you the Jor El/Mr. Oz storyline wasn't meant to go the way it went. You had something really good going. Didio threw it all away for a guy's past success at Marvel. Was it worth it? You're not getting any Daredevil or Miles Morales stories. You're getting a bunch of hype about things like Leviathan, secret identity reveals, secret villain who blew up Krypton, etc, and they're duds. The stories have fizzled. He's back in the red trunks. We're right back where we were before New 52 happened. Boring hum drum stories that aren't going anywhere.

I can get behind it being boring. It is boring.

Spectacular Member

I can get behind it being boring. It is boring.
    This times Infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    I suppose I could be lumped into the category of Tomasi supporter. I have an honest question. What was wrong with the direction Tomasi was going? The Rebirth Costume was an excellent update. You had the fun story of the Jon/Damien dynamic. And I guarantee you the Jor El/Mr. Oz storyline wasn't meant to go the way it went. You had something really good going. Didio threw it all away for a guy's past success at Marvel. Was it worth it? You're not getting any Daredevil or Miles Morales stories. You're getting a bunch of hype about things like Leviathan, secret identity reveals, secret villain who blew up Krypton, etc, and they're duds. The stories have fizzled. He's back in the red trunks. We're right back where we were before New 52 happened. Boring hum drum stories that aren't going anywhere.
    It was simplistic on Tomasi’s side. Fairly standard superhero stuff, nothing really groundbreaking, not knocking it, I enjoyed it greatly. But it was very shallow, with little underneath beyond “aw gee ain’t the Kents cute?” at its core. Superman was the simplistic patriarch who always knew what to do, Lois was baking pies and being domestic, Jon was just a cute kid. After Black Dawn it became clear how little there was once Tomasi started rehashing the genuinely great issue 9 with stuff like the sick hospital kids and it just falling flat. There were months of boring filler stories that reminded me of how the New 52 ended. He wrapped it up very strongly, I love issue 45, but there just wasn’t enough to keep the book going for much longer, sales were already falling off. A shake up was needed.

On Jurgens side it was mediocre to terrible. He had some good arcs like Men of Steel but overall it was a run totally fueled by nostalgia. The Oz reveal sucked and the story itself was lame, the Button over in Batman/Flash had a much more interesting father/son reunion. Jurgens Zod is terrible, a boring Terrance Stamp rehash and the Booster Shot arc was just a terrible arc that meant nothing.

It might have been shallow. atleast it was entertaining. It wasn't boring and uninspiring. Which is the charge levied against bendis. He has done everything people have predicted. I was myself surprised by how accurate they were.