Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Newsarama ranks the top 10 animated series based on comics

Pretty nice list, but not sure about the order.

https://www.newsarama.com/15444-10-b...-all-time.html

10. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
    9. Ducktales
    8. The Tick
    7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    6. Justice League Unlimited
    5. Super Friends
    4. Spiderman
    3. X-Men: The Animated Series
    2. Young Justice
    1. Batman: The Animated Series
    Last edited by caj; 02-14-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I've never seen Spiderman or Young Justice but I would definitely have Justice League Unlimited higher than #6.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Spectacular Spider-Man deserves to be on that list over like half of those listed

Astonishing Member

YJ is too high, JLU is too low and the lack of Teen Titans makes me suspect that whoever made this list is a hack.

Those 90's X-Men and Spiderman shows were good for the time, but their cheapness really dampers their legacy. It's hard to justify their high standing without appealing to nostalgia. Super Friends is the same too.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Completely ignores animated series based on non-American comics. No Cybersix, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Death Note, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Adventures of Tintin etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Those 90's X-Men and Spiderman shows were good for the time, but their cheapness really dampers their legacy. It's hard to justify their high standing without appealing to nostalgia. Super Friends is the same too.
    Agreed.

Is anyone really going to argue that Super Friends is a well animated, well written, well put together show? So by what criteria is it one of the top ten?

X-Men is #1 for me.

Season 1 was incredible.

I'd put Ducktales and TMNT quite a bit higher. Classics.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to animated series based on comics. I can find something good about most of them.

Of course, the pre-Disney Afternoon / pre-Batman: The Animated Series stuff has to be judged through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia, but yeah, I loved Superfriends as a kid -- particularly the 2nd & 3rd Seasons ("All-New" and "Challenge").

I think BTAS, Young Justice, and Justice League Unlimited were probably the best from DC overall, while Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was the best from Marvel. AEMH was clearly Marvel's attempt to do a show at the standard of JLU -- and they mostly succeeded.

BANNED

No Spawn? Ef that stuff, man. That cartoon is one of the best.

EDIT:
    Also, I guess you can argue that G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero is based on comics. It deserves a spot over some of those series, in my opinion, like Super Friends. I get that show is important in the annals of pop culture, and it lasted a long time, but it's a pretty balls cartoon that doesn't hold up. Western animation just hadn't quite got there at that point, partially due to censorship, and that was starting to break down some by the time G.I. Joe was coming around.

The 90s cartoons hold up pretty well, in my opinion. Especially Batman and Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 02-14-2020 at 07:13 PM.

No spectacular and JLU is too low, this list is a dud
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Spider-Man was surpassed by Spectacular Spider-Man. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was surpassed by the 2003 and 2012 versions.

No love in that list for Batman Beyond?

Shame, shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Spider-Man was surpassed by Spectacular Spider-Man. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was surpassed by the 2003 and 2012 versions.
    While I will agree that TMNT 2012 was better then the previous adaptations on all levels, the original '80s cartoon turned the Turtles, previously an cult classic comic, into a juggernaut franchise and defined what the franchise was (the colored masks, pizza, Turtle's personalities, Shredder being the main enemy, etc., were created by that show). So, it may not be the "best," but it's arguably more "important" then the successor shows (and maybe even some of the others on the list; While "Batman" is the better show, it was not as impactful on pop culture).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    While I will agree that TMNT 2012 was better then the previous adaptations on all levels, the original '80s cartoon turned the Turtles, previously an cult classic comic, into a juggernaut franchise and defined what the franchise was (the colored masks, pizza, Turtle's personalities, Shredder being the main enemy, etc., were created by that show). So, it may not be the "best," but it's arguably more "important" then the successor shows (and maybe even some of the others on the list; While "Batman" is the better show, it was not as impactful on pop culture).
    I think 2K12 did a good job of blending together the 80's cartoon and 2K3 with some influences from the comic, even if some characters weren't as memorable as in 2K3 or the show didn't pace out its storylines as well as 2K3 did.