Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
Garfield was emo in the second movie.
Those two movies are magnets for complaints I can't agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
I'll say something controversial here in that I don't think Christopher Reeve's Superman was comics accurate.

It was a good portrayal, and it was popular enough that it made everyone think that Superman should act like Reeve (which I think has hurt the character in comics stories immensely), but I don't think that the Superman in the movie was how the character was ever written in the comics.

The movie was more of a romantic fairy tale with a woman meeting a Christ-figure, which the comics really never were -- certainly not pre-movie.

I think the George Reeves TV series was more comics accurate in that, like the comics, the TV characters were more one-dimensional and the stories were more simplistic. The relationship between Lois and Superman was more chaste and didn't ever move forward just like in the comics.

Also, the George Reeves Superman would casually hang around with normal folks and the Daily Planet staff in a very matter-of-fact way like in the comics with no dewey-eyed worship of a godlike figure like in the movie. Superman was always "just folks" in the comics and the Reeves show.

Of course, the movie was grander and better, but we're talking comics accurate in terms of the Superman character.
Superman is not one dimensional, never been that shallow as a character.
Golden Age Clark Kent had the habit of pretending to be too soft, I think Superman's line in Justice League Unlimited finale sums up that era of Clark Kent more than any other version "Feels like living in a world made of cardboard, I have to take constant care not to break something, to break someone". Reeve's Superman was more Bronze Age Superman with Golden Age Clark Kent, so he's been pretty faithful, and around that time is when Superman of Earth-2 was newly wedded to Lois Lane of his earth.