Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Most Accurate Portrayal of a Comic Book Character in Film and TV

This should be a fun one to discuss. What portrayals of comic book characters are the most accurate in film and tv?

For film:

The most accurate portrayal comes in a tie between Christopher Reeves Superman and Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.

Patrick Stewart as professor x comes in second.

For TV:
    Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor in Smallville.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    This should be a fun one to discuss. What portrayals of comic book characters are the most accurate in film and tv?

For film:

The most accurate portrayal comes in a tie between Christopher Reeves Superman and Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.

Patrick Stewart as professor x comes in second.

For TV:
    Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor in Smallville.
    Hugh Jackman is 6'2" and Wolverine is only supposed to be about 5'3" in the comics. Hugh did a great job but he was hardly a comics accurate version of Wolverine. Someone who would make a comics accurate looking Wolverine, if he bulked up a bit, is Daniel Radcliffe as he is only 5'5".

BANNED

-- Shelley Duvall as Olive Oyl in Robert Altman's POPEYE. Everyone came out and realized that she instantly looked like that comic character.

-- J. K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. That opening introductory scene in Spider-Man 1 at the end of the first act is a classic and it's basically the panels coming to life.

-- Ra's Al Ghul and Talia in Batman The Animated Series is very much Neal Adams' and Denny O'Neill's character from the original stories they appeared in.

-- Darkseid and the New Gods in Superman TAS is Jack Kirby's vision come to life.

-- Venom in The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon by Greg Weisman is the closest to the original conception by David Michelinie and Tom DeFalco.

-- Green Goblin in The Spectacular Spider-Man is the most accurate to the original Lee-Ditko version than anything that came after.

-- Vincent D'Onofrio really captured the Kingpin from Miller's and Bendis' runs in the Netflix TV show.

-- Jon Bernthal absolutely is Frank Castle.

-- Chris Evans is Captain America. I can totally imagine him as the Cap of Born Again, of Roger Stern, of JMS' Doomed Affairs And Civil War tie-ins. He absolutely is "loyal to nothing, general...but the dream".

-- Jackie Earle Haley is Rorschach.

-- Donald Duck in the 2017 Ducktales cartoons is the closest we have come to Carl Barks' version of the character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    -- Shelley Duvall as Olive Oyl in Robert Altman's POPEYE. Everyone came out and realized that she instantly looked like that comic character.

-- J. K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. That opening introductory scene in Spider-Man 1 at the end of the first act is a classic and it's basically the panels coming to life.

-- Ra's Al Ghul and Talia in Batman The Animated Series is very much Neal Adams' and Denny O'Neill's character from the original stories they appeared in.

-- Darkseid and the New Gods in Superman TAS is Jack Kirby's vision come to life.

-- Venom in The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon by Greg Weisman is the closest to the original conception by David Michelinie and Tom DeFalco.

-- Green Goblin in The Spectacular Spider-Man is the most accurate to the original Lee-Ditko version than anything that came after.

-- Vincent D'Onofrio really captured the Kingpin from Miller's and Bendis' runs in the Netflix TV show.

-- Jon Bernthal absolutely is Frank Castle.

-- Chris Evans is Captain America. I can totally imagine him as the Cap of Born Again, of Roger Stern, of JMS' Doomed Affairs And Civil War tie-ins. He absolutely is "loyal to nothing, general...but the dream".

-- Jackie Earle Haley is Rorschach.

-- Donald Duck in the 2017 Ducktales cartoons is the closest we have come to Carl Barks' version of the character.
    Kingpin in Daredevil was the best reinvention of the character I have seen! Truly don't think anyone else can play him.

I thought Green Goblin in Spiderman the animated series was a better representation.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Hugh Jackman is 6'2" and Wolverine is only supposed to be about 5'3" in the comics. Hugh did a great job but he was hardly a comics accurate version of Wolverine. Someone who would make a comics accurate looking Wolverine, if he bulked up a bit, is Daniel Radcliffe as he is only 5'5".
    Haha why did I not know wolverine was that short in the comics. What run does it state his height?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I thought Green Goblin in Spiderman the animated series was a better representation.
    This is about accurate...not "Better" (which is subjective).

In terms of the Green Goblin as envisioned by Steve Ditko...Weisman's Spectacular is accurate.

Incredible Member

This is about accurate...not "Better" (which is subjective).

In terms of the Green Goblin as envisioned by Steve Ditko...Weisman's Spectacular is accurate.
    I meant accurate. I thought Green Goblin in Spiderman the animated series was a closer portrayal to the comic. But I will say what characters portrayals TAS missed on Spectacular nailed. Kind of sucked that I think both series couldn't have complete portrayals of the characters because of some of the censorship.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-14-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Christopher Reeve wins this one hands down in my books

Some great performances out there, but his portrayal of Superman was just uncanny. It was like Superman really existed and Christopher Reeve was an alter ego

J. K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson (The perfect casting. Straight out of the comic books down to physical appearance)

Chris Evans as Captain America

Willam Dafoe as Green Goblin

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine

Michael Keaton as Batman

Patrick Stewart as Professor Charles Xavier

Christopher Reeves as Superman

Ian Mckellen as Magneto

Tobey Maguire as Spiderman

Mark Hamill as Joker

Incredible Member

I'm kind of curious on what some think about the MCU portrayals. While I think we can all agree that Chris Evan's nailed Captain America in terms of accuracy, I don't think of many others as being accurate outside of maybe Deadpool.

Although MCU portrayals are different in that after the films came out there was a shift in the comic book portrayal to fit the film portrayal. So maybe more are comic book accurate than what I'm thinking.

Hell, everyone in that film was perfectly cast/acted, imo.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    J. K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson (The perfect casting. Straight out of the comic books down to physical appearance)

Chris Evans as Captain America

Willam Dafoe as Green Goblin

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine

Michael Keaton as Batman

Patrick Stewart as Professor Charles Xavier

Christopher Reeves as Superman

Ian Mckellen as Magneto

Tobey Maguire as Spiderman

Mark Hamill as Joker
    Toby Maguire is the most accurate portrayal of the 3 live action versions but all have flaws that hurt them. If Andrew Garfield would have had a better script, I think he could've been a more accurate portrayal over Toby. Tom Holland Spiderman has issues.

Stan Lee as Willie Lumpkin was really accurate, probably the most accurate character in the Fantastic Four movies.

Other than shooting Bruce's parents, Nicholson did a really great Joker that's more true to the comics than any other version has been.

Retired

The most important thing for me is that Wolverine is played by a Canadian actor. I know actors from other countries can play different nationalities. But Canada has so few super-heroes--just give us this one.

It seems to me that word "accurate" means the details about the character are right. As much as I liked Christopher Reeve as Superman, I don't think the movies were very accurate to the comics.

I think the TV movie for Wonder Woman, starring Lynda Carter, was the most accurate to the 1940s comics. And even that movie made some big changes.

Chris Evan's Captain America. Most Comics heroes theres a huge glaring thing you need to change to make them more like the comics. I feel like everything with Evan's is Minor and has more to do with the story then Evan's actual portrayal and look. Jackman and RDJ are example of people who made the chatacter they're own, but they arent that faithful.

Reynolds embodies Deadpool personality but yes those movies changed alot about him. Dropped the schizophrenia as to not make fun of people with it, made him way more heroic. But Reynolds costures the personality pretty spot on.