Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

My DC list has dropped to only:

MANHUNTERS: THE SECRET HISTORY #1
    - Written by Marc Andreyko with the spotlight once more on Kate Spencer. Shut up and take my money!

AQUAMAN - Easily DC's most consistent title
    THE FLASH - Habit. Nothing more. I can't remember the last time I was excited to pick up my next issue of this book.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

By this point, I'm just numb to DC's stuff. I'm picking up pretty much nothing, as has been the case for a while now, but some trades have my interest.

Definitely:
    GREEN LANTERN 8OTH ANNIVERSARY 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #1 - Glad Scott put Alan front and centre, and I've always been a fan of these covers by her. Sad that she didn't do one for The Flash with ay in the lead but what are you gonna do?
    THE GREEN LANTERN SEASON TWO #4

HAWKMAN VOL. 3: DARKNESS WITHIN TP
    NIGHTWING YEAR ONE DELUXE EDITION HC - Yay, another Dick Grayson hardcover! And I liked the three or so issues I've read of Year One!

Maybe:
    GENERATION ONE: AGE OF MYSTERIES - Just because of the Wally thing from FCBD and out of obligation but even then, probably not. Seriously, was anyone really dying for DC's newest attempt at reconciling everything in their history? I was pretty cool with the weird loose way they were doing things after Rebirth but whatever, at least it's not a complete reboot.

ABSOLUTE SWAMP THING BY ALAN MOORE VOL. 2 HC - I own all the trades, so if I have the money, which I probably won't.
    ABSOLUTE SWAMP THING BY ALAN MOORE VOL. 1 HC NEW PRINTING
    BATGIRL VOL. 7: ORACLE RISING TP - Kinda wanna try Castellucci's Batgirl, though I'll probably start a bit earlier with the prior short run. I liked Castellucci's work on Shade, so hopefully this is good, though I'm just in general not big on Barbara as Batgirl.
    LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT: MATT WAGNER HC - Haven't heard anything about this but I assume it's good because Wagner.
    THE FLASH VOL. 12: DEATH AND THE SPEED FORCE TP - Just because Hunter Zolomon. Probably not though. I WAS getting the trades for the more Flash-focused stories but all the new Forces thing killed my enthusiasm.
    FLASH FORWARD TP - Probably gonna be the last story with Wally NOT as some omnipotent god man so **** it. Unless it ends VERY badly... well, worse than what we already know. Seriously, Wally becoming an omnipotent god man is the farthest he could possibly be from his thing as the relatable everyman Flash.
    LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES: FIVE YEARS LATER OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC - Huh. I mean... maybe? I struggled to get into the 5YL Legion not long back but maybe having it in a good format will help. But.. uh... weird choice for an omnibus. Makes me sad the Reboot Legion didn't get one (yet?).
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Random thoughts:

Crap... more Dark Nights. Can't wait for six more months of Scott Snyder trying really hard to be both Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison and just throwing random ideas at the wall and trying really hard to be cool.

That Dan Mora BTAS cover looks fucking great.

The Joker wanted his fight with Batman to end in Endgame. Seriously, everything about Tynion's Batman is just so... meh.

Oh hey, Joker: Killer Smile is getting a sequel! I think that makes it the first Black Label title (that STARTED as a Black Label title) to get one.

KSD's Aquaman sounds like it should be so much more interesting than it actually is (based on what I've read).

Legit, surprised it took this long for Giuseppe Camuncoli to draw the Joker. Seems like a match made in heaven tbh.

I just started trying to read the Rebirth series for Batman Beyond, so... uh... seeing Damian again... eeeehhhhh.

There's some really great about Frank Quitely's The Batman's Grave cover.

God, Catwoman's boobs on that Woo-Chull Lee variant cover look... weird.

Lol, I thought Paradox was meant to be THE NEXT BIG BAD GUY. If he goes down after like... 8 issues... just... wow. Also, a Reverse-Flash family was a possible idea for The Flash: Rebirth way back when, and honestly, with barely a Flash family left I don't really want it. Can we have Barry find the Flash Family first?

Bit weird that Hawkman is playing up Carter and Shayera meeting again, given that it's Carter and not Katar (yeah, same guy, but still) and Kendra is alive and all (not sure how she and Shayera are even co-existing).

Venditti's Justice League feels like it's filler, especially with how little fanfare they made about him being given the title. I guess they'll relaunch it with the new lineup after the Generations thing clears everything up.

Hopefully the re-Dickening happens in time for Nightwing #75. Still find it kind of lame that it's still gonna be a thing for the Robin 80th anniversary special.

I feel like the Superman cover would be helped by neck folds on Clark.

Oh hey, maybe Steve Orlando can undo what Abnett did to Donna Troy... doubt it though. With a rebooting/unbooting coming soon, why bother?

The Low, Low Woods still killing it with the covers. That thing is just UNSETTLING.

Is The Last God hiding that it's a miniseries now? I mean... it better not be an ongoing now. Because man was it just mediocre when I was reading it.

I still really need to read Andreyko's Manhunter stuff.Probably should get around to that... maybe DC can also, you know, reprint the trades?

Aside from the random red line, that Absolute Swamp Thing vol. 2 cover looks fucking awesome.

I dig that cover for the third Morrison Batman omnibus. Glad Cass and Steph get a look in and that Dick has the biggest grin.

Arkham Asylum trade also has a nice cover. Damn, the trade covers are doing good!

That GL 80 Years HC cover is nice and all but... man, would be nice to include more GREEN Lanterns. Also, really with the Star Sapphire boob outfit?

Genuinely surprised DC aren't splitting the JL: Justice/Doom War trade into two.

The JLI omnibus' cover is certainly one of the more unique for an omnibus

Wait... Brad Meltzer's JLA run was like 12 issues?! I OWN IT ALL IN HARDCOVER?! I... am ashamed. I swear, I didn't know! I got the first cheap and the second was for the Legion and JSA! I think the ONE (well, two?) thing from that run I liked was Roy and Kendra, and that's more the potential it had than how it resolved or anything.

A 20-issue hardcover... yikes. Just call it an omnibus! Marvel DEFINITELY would've!

So, I guess in addition to the trades, reprinted trades, anniversary trades, absolutes and omnibi, Sandman is also getting OHCs now... this is a good thing, btw.

Jesus, that new Being Super cover ruins the original image.

The Year of the Villain thing is still such a... non-thing. Like, is anyone really following it to series they don't normally read and stuff? Though the way it happened doesn't help it not be a non-thing.

The Batmonster statue looks pretty cool but I swear DC make a new Batman statue every month.
    Last edited by Fuzzy Barbarian; 02-16-2020 at 04:55 AM.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Extraordinary Member

Definitely getting:

GREEN LANTERN 8OTH ANNIVERSARY 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #1: so excited to see Geoff Johns back on Green Lantern in some fashion. Morrison's GL is just not doing it for me. He's falling into the same traps he usually does.

BATMAN: THE SMILE KILLER #1

STRANGE ADVENTURES #3

ACTION COMICS #1023

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #10

SUICIDE SQUAD #6

SUPERMAN #23

SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #11

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The JSA's 80th anniversary is at the end of this year.

Looking at the Green Lantern 80th Anniversary...
    It appears that Hal Jordan and the GLC are the primary focus.
    Well, they have been the primary Green Lanterns for over 60 of those 80 years. At least Alan is front and center in those covers.

Plus, I think it's a little bit different from the JSA/JLA situation. Hal Jordan and the GLC were very much a "replacement" for the Golden Age Green Lantern even down to having the same name. The JLA was less a replacement of the JSA than it was just a brand new team in its own right.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 02-16-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Well, they have been the primary Green Lanterns for over 60 of those 80 years. At least Alan is front and center in those covers.

Plus, I think it's a little bit different from the JSA/JLA situation. Hal Jordan and the GLC were very much a "replacement" for the Golden Age Green Lantern even down to having the same name. The JLA was less a replacement of the JSA than it was just a brand new team in its own right.
    I dunno...
    JLA was created by the same writer that created the JSA.
    He just changed one word.
    Many of the members had the same names as the original team (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, Hawkman, Black Canary).
    Initially, stories were structured the same as when Fox wrote the JSA, with members splitting up into smaller pairings and used chapters.

It was basically the JSA with a fresh coat of paint.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

I dunno...
    JLA was created by the same writer that created the JSA.
    He just changed one word.
    Many of the members had the same names as the original team (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, Hawkman, Black Canary).
    Initially, stories were structured the same as when Fox wrote the JSA, with members splitting up into smaller pairings and used chapters.

It was basically the JSA with a fresh coat of paint.
    Yeah, but still: different name, different team. Also, I'd say for much of their histories, the JSA and JLA have been treated as two distinct entities. The JSA has members and concepts exclusive to it and the same goes for the JLA. I don't know if we can say the same for Green Lantern.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 02-16-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Yeah, originally, JLA was a reboot of JSA like how Barry is a reboot of Jay and Hal is a reboot of Alan. But a few years later, they did Flash of Two Worlds, establishing the existence of Earth-2. JLA-JSA team-ups soon followed, and that's when they became separate entities. They didn't live in the same universe until near the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

just Red Hood 46 and maybe Batman Smile Killer one shot

Yeah, but still: different name, different team. Also, I'd say for much of their histories, the JSA and JLA have been treated as two distinct entities. The JSA has members and concepts exclusive to it and the same goes for the JLA. I don't know if we can say the same for Green Lantern.
    True.
    I hope we do see something for the JSA's Anniversary, though.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

True.
    I hope we do see something for the JSA's Anniversary, though.
    I hope we see the JSA back period. Not just popping up in random stories and arcs.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

No more Supergirl.

Again.

table flip.
    "Cable was right!"

Actually, Alan Scott was replaced in his own comic by his dog (Streak The Wonder Dog) during the whole Lassie craze of the 50's.

Seriously, a book that was originally titled Green Lantern eventually had the lead character replaced by his own dog and was re-titled Streak The Wonder Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Actually, Alan Scott was replaced in his own comic by his dog (Streak The Wonder Dog) during the whole Lassie craze of the 50's.

Seriously, a book that was originally titled Green Lantern eventually had the lead character replaced by his own dog and was re-titled Streak The Wonder Dog.
    I didn't even know Alan had a dog...

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post

Really? That's not what I'm finding on the wiki. Green Lantern vol 1 ended in 1949. It did have Streak as a backup story, but he never took over the book.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Green_Lantern_Vol_1_38
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Really? That's not what I'm finding on the wiki. Green Lantern vol 1 ended in 1949. It did have Streak as a backup story, but he never took over the book.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Green_Lantern_Vol_1_38
    Yeah, Streak did eventually take over the book. They just started renumbering it when Streak eventually took over...

Last edited by docmidnite; 02-17-2020 at 06:44 PM.