Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gorilla Grodd vs Ebony Maw

Gorilla Grodd vs Ebony Maw

* Post-Crisis version of Grodd

* Combined feats of both MCU and 616 for Maw

Standard arena match.

I don't know enough about comic Maw but Post Crisis Grodd is stronger, tougher, has his own TK and can also just mind frag him.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    I don't know enough about comic Maw but Post Crisis Grodd is stronger, tougher, has his own TK and can also just mind frag him.
    Comic Maw placed Stephen Strange under his mental control. Manipulated the Doc like a puppet. It took an extraterrestrial known as a 'Builder' to free Strange.

The-Ebony-Maw-Doctor-Strange-e1521228181397.jpg

e0818410fc1bf451e6a040ff3b61f3fb.jpg

maw-strange.jpg

So Maw has some serious mental voodoo.

If we combine feats for MCU and 616 Maw, then like Grodd, he has both telekinesis and mental powers.

Ergo our match.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-14-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Can we establish some telekinetic and telepathic feats for Post-Crisis Grodd?

About what level does he have for each?

Anybody got this down?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

From what I recall, he's nowhere near Xavier or Martian Manhunter level. Maw probably is - manipulating Strange is serious top-tier stuff - Maw can therefore probably stomp Grodd in a telepathy battle.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I'm going to note at this point that - barring situational stuff we can't see in the scan - Maw manipulating Strange's mind is one of two things:

1. Indication that Maw is a chunk more powerful than Xavier, considering that Stephen's mind is closed to Charles;
    2. Bullcrap.

You choose. I don't know enough about Maw.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Maw's powers in the comics have always been rather nebulous. Often just referred to as "whispers" or some such.

It's never really shown how he takes control of Strange's mind. It just happens off-screen and that's that. If it's telepathy he never displays that level of raw power anywhere else to my recollection.

And I think he's like a force ghost guiding Thane at some point or something like that.

Generally his powerset is just whatever the writers need it to be. The MCU version has a much more clearly defined abilities and is a lot less annoying as a result.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 02-19-2020 at 06:23 AM.

Basically, it comes down to this feat giving Maw -- assuming there's no situational stuff happening -- more oomph than Xavier. I don't really care for the character one way or another or really know anything about them, so if the board decides that's where Maw stands, whatever.

But I felt it was worth noting that, no, it's not equivalence to Charles; it's superiority.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Leaving aside the whole telepathy question for a moment, I don't think Maw has the offensive feats to do more than annoy Grodd.

Grodd is an astoundingly durable fellow. He soaks stuff like Flash punching him thousands of times in an instant and is still going, I recall him getting repeatedly hit from like Kansas all the way to Wyoming and only then falling down. If Maw does try to physically put him down, it's not going to work easily.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Basically, it comes down to this feat giving Maw -- assuming there's no situational stuff happening -- more oomph than Xavier. I don't really care for the character one way or another or really know anything about them, so if the board decides that's where Maw stands, whatever.

But I felt it was worth noting that, no, it's not equivalence to Charles; it's superiority.
    I wasn't implying equality, though, I was implying "at least" equality, which makes him faaaaaaaar stronger than Grodd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Leaving aside the whole telepathy question for a moment, I don't think Maw has the offensive feats to do more than annoy Grodd.

Grodd is an astoundingly durable fellow. He soaks stuff like Flash punching him thousands of times in an instant and is still going, I recall him getting repeatedly hit from like Kansas all the way to Wyoming and only then falling down. If Maw does try to physically put him down, it's not going to work easily.
    He doesn't really need to physically put him down, through. He can easily pin or immobilize Grodd, given how trivially he did that to MCU Thor. Granted, that was an abused Thor at that point, but still, Thor is a tier above Grodd for strength.

After, Maw seems to be better at multitasking than Grodd, handling what seems like hundreds or thousands of individual operations at once.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I wasn't implying equality, though, I was implying "at least" equality, which makes him faaaaaaaar stronger than Grodd.
    In this case, I wasn't talking about versus Grodd -- I was addressing the feat itself. It shoots well-past Xavier, if we consider it valid (and it doesn't have any asterisks on it).

Does it hold up in other ways? Has Maw had any serious telepathic contests with people like Emma Frost? Jean Grey? Xavier himself? How has he done against Thanos (assuming he ever contested his boss)? Etc. This is something that seems important to work through, given the power level (and the fact that Maw overwhelming Grodd telepathically seems to hinge on this feat).
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    In this case, I wasn't talking about versus Grodd -- I was addressing the feat itself. It shoots well-past Xavier, if we consider it valid (and it doesn't have any asterisks on it).

Does it hold up in other ways? Has Maw had any serious telepathic contests with people like Emma Frost? Jean Grey? Xavier himself? How has he done against Thanos (assuming he ever contested his boss)? Etc. This is something that seems important to work through, given the power level (and the fact that Maw overwhelming Grodd telepathically seems to hinge on this feat).
    And this is my thinking, what has Maw done that puts him on that level? IIRC, Stephen has defeated a mind controlled Moondragon, who in turn was controlled by an Xavier knock off Thanosii. (Maybe?) More of an outlier is the time Stephen resisted being mind controlled by Adam Warlock in possession of the infinity gauntlet. There are others I'm forgetting, but Strange is upper echelon in terms of mental prowess, TP resistance
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

The other thing about that Strange feat is... How the heck impressive was Strange at the time? The last two decades have been marked with so many power ups and power downs for the guy, I'm hesitant to use him as a benchmark.

Also, Grodd himself has pretty potent telekinesis, so even if he's physically restrained he should be able to splatter a more fragile opponent.

That's true too. We went from classic, I am God Stephen to tree buster Strange in recent decades. I suppose I'd have to see more feats for Maw.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Isn't that Maw's only TP feat?

My point being, if its literally his ONLY real TP showing, there is not much to suggest he CANT operate on that level.

You can only argue its "too good" of a showing if he generally operates below that. But if it's all we have...

Also, it depends on what era of Strange, yeah.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure