Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Nathan Summers and Nate Grey?

What's the best way to explain how they're related?

The Summers family is weird as we know, and this is one of those things that make my head spin a little when I think about it too much, so I figured I'd get other opinions.

I know each character, though I wouldn't say my on an encyclopedic level, but well enough. I just wonder what would be the definitive way to look at them.

Nathan Summers, aka Cable, and Nathaniel "Nate" Grey, aka X-Man, are considered to be both alternate universe counterparts, and half-brothers of each other, though I wonder how applicable "half"-brother is considering that Cable's mom is a clone of Nate's mom. Also, there's the matter of Nate himself being the result of artificially breeding Scott and Jean's DNA by Mister Sinister and thus never actually knew them (he was raised by Forge instead).

Basically, Nate is Cable if he never had to contend with the techno virus eating away at him from the inside, thus he never had to keep it at bay and was free to use his powers. Powers, that I should say are godlike, however he found out that said powers can kill him, forcing him to greatly reign it in lest he die causing Nate to often fight below his weight (and fail whenever convenient) and he's been nerfed by a lot in the past just so he doesn't end stories by existing.

Nate is also considerably younger than Cable, roughly early 20s (by my best guess) while Cable is somewhere in his fifties or beyond. Cable, when unrestrained, is probably even more powerful than Nate, if only by way of his experience and intellect giving him an advantage, because Cable is already a very dangerous individual without his powers having grown up for decades in a futuristic war.

But anyways, how would you say Cable and Nate are related? It's confusing to say that Nate is Cable's "alternate universe counterpart" and "half-brother", because the former suggests they're two versions of the same person, while the latter suggests they're two different people that are related. Also, as said, Madelyne Pryor being Jean Grey's clone... does that muddy up that "half" aspect at all?

Just wondering what you guys think.

BANNED

Cable. This die-hard mutant was more influential towards X-mythos than Nate who is actually weird.

Edit: At first I didn't notice what you are asking lol. But anyways, they are brothers but I have never thought Nate to be Summers for some reason.
    Last edited by Vishop; 02-14-2020 at 09:10 PM.

Brothers. They have the same name and same powers because X-writers in the 90s weren't that great.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post

But anyways, how would you say Cable and Nate are related? It's confusing to say that Nate is Cable's "alternate universe counterpart" and "half-brother", because the former suggests they're two versions of the same person, while the latter suggests they're two different people that are related. Also, as said, Madelyne Pryor being Jean Grey's clone... does that muddy up that "half" aspect at all?

Just wondering what you guys think.
    In Eart 616-They are brothers
    In The Multiverse-They Are alternate universe counterparts

I look at them more as brothers not half just full due to them essentially having the same parents despite both being raised by separate parties. It would have bern easier had they given X-Man a different name besides Nate.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Cable is the 616 version of Nate and Nate is the AoA version of Cable

They're the same person, give or take some clone-ing, time travel, and an alternate reality or two.

Mighty Member

You could throw Stryfe in there as well since he is a clone of Nate Summers w/o the T/O virus.

Clones are no more the same person than identical twins are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Clones are no more the same person than identical twins are.
    Yeah, that's true I suppose, but I mean from a genetic standpoint are Cable and Nate still half-siblings?

I remember learning that the children of two sets of identical twins would be cousins legally, but siblings genetically, so I wonder if the two are identical on a DNA basis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Cable is the 616 version of Nate and Nate is the AoA version of Cable
    This..they are alternate reality versions of the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Yeah, that's true I suppose, but I mean from a genetic standpoint are Cable and Nate still half-siblings?

I remember learning that the children of two sets of identical twins would be cousins legally, but siblings genetically, so I wonder if the two are identical on a DNA basis.
    Short answer: They are identical on a DNA basis
    Long answer: Madelyne and Jean, even if they had the same genome, would have a different epigenome which would make Cable and Nate have different epigenome too.

Genetics are complicated. "Brothers" is an appropriate term, I would say.

AoA Scott and 1980's Scott would have different epigenomes too, then, further complicating thing. Also, factoring in Sinister's machinations in both cases is another consideration. And the effect of persistent TO virus infection in Nathan's case.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Alternate reality versions of one another. They are two versions of the same person, more or less.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-15-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

They are the same guy from two different universes. But their lives have been so diferent they developed into two very diferent individuals.
    Seriously despite their genetic make up their are nothing alike as characters.

So I’ve seen this compared to Supergirl and Power Girl (which admittedly I only know the gist of there). Is that an apt comparison?