Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

At this stage they’ve kind of ruined both characters. Or perhaps they just haven’t aged well.

In the case of Nate Grey, I’ve never been much of a fan.

But I really came to love OG Cable in the 00s. Probably starting with Messiah Complex through Second Coming, and continuing on into X-Sanction and Spurrier’s X-Force run, which was crazy weird but fun IMO. After that they seemed to not know what to do with the guy. The whole “time cop” angle in his most recent solo was lame, and then they just killed him off and replaced him with this terrible teen version in Extermination. So I’ve lost interest again.

Perhaps someone will come along and reinvent him again... making him relevant in a way that a shitty haircut and de-aging him 30 years or so just ain’t doing. At least for me. The Krakoan set up with the resurrection protocols gives them an opportunity to do so. Because at some point Kid Cable has to go back to the future to live out his life as it happened, ultimately jumping back to the past and dying at his own hands in a vicious ‘Looper’ cycle. So... what if after Kid Cable heads back to the future they just resurrect the OG version, resetting his memories to the last back up before he was killed? Seems like a nice loophole to me to get him out of the time paradox he’s presently in, no?

And they could even bring him back sans T-O virus, which could be cool. Perhaps with nanites or something in his bloodstream to act as a governor on his powers. Since left unchecked they have been shown to ravage his body and kill him. So that’s how they could keep them in check. Either that or some genetic modification that alters them somehow. Lots of possibilities here to kind of reset the character. Bring him back to basics, that being the X-men’s own super soldier.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yep. He used his TK to keep an entire island floating in mid-air, he held Scott's optic blasts in check and fought the Silver Surfer

Anyone can do that though

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Anyone can do that though
    Not really. Those were pretty impressive feats for Nathan and on similar levels to Nate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Not really. Those were pretty impressive feats for Nathan and on similar levels to Nate
    I mean it’s your word against mine

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    At this stage they’ve kind of ruined both characters. Or perhaps they just haven’t aged well.

In the case of Nate Grey, I’ve never been much of a fan.

But I really came to love OG Cable in the 00s. Probably starting with Messiah Complex through Second Coming, and continuing on into X-Sanction and Spurrier’s X-Force run, which was crazy weird but fun IMO. After that they seemed to not know what to do with the guy. The whole “time cop” angle in his most recent solo was lame, and then they just killed him off and replaced him with this terrible teen version in Extermination. So I’ve lost interest again.

Perhaps someone will come along and reinvent him again... making him relevant in a way that a shitty haircut and de-aging him 30 years or so just ain’t doing. At least for me. The Krakoan set up with the resurrection protocols gives them an opportunity to do so. Because at some point Kid Cable has to go back to the future to live out his life as it happened, ultimately jumping back to the past and dying at his own hands in a vicious ‘Looper’ cycle. So... what if after Kid Cable heads back to the future they just resurrect the OG version, resetting his memories to the last back up before he was killed? Seems like a nice loophole to me to get him out of the time paradox he’s presently in, no?

And they could even bring him back sans T-O virus, which could be cool. Perhaps with nanites or something in his bloodstream to act as a governor on his powers. Since left unchecked they have been shown to ravage his body and kill him. So that’s how they could keep them in check. Either that or some genetic modification that alters them somehow. Lots of possibilities here to kind of reset the character. Bring him back to basics, that being the X-men’s own super soldier.

Yeah I agree with you 100%. I also came to like Cable during Messiah Arc. Then I read back Nicieza's Cable/Deadpool. It was also good too.
    Last edited by Vishop; 02-16-2020 at 05:48 PM.

I think it’d be fun seeing Kid Cable return to the future to live out his destiny, and then we get a reborn Cable in his prime (say around 40 years old) in the present day. Resurrection protocols are enacted for him, and no more T-O virus. Honestly that whole thing is played out anyway. How many times have we seen Cable struggling with it, near death, almost completely consumed by it, only to miraculously recover in the end. It’s tired. Just dump it. If they need to nerf his powers, do it in another way. Just have them resurrect him with genetic modifications that don’t allow him to access his full psionic ability, since his full power apparently causes him to deteriorate as well.

I’d love to see it anyway.

I think it’d be fun seeing Kid Cable return to the future to live out his destiny, and then we get a reborn Cable in his prime (say around 40 years old) in the present day. Resurrection protocols are enacted for him, and no more T-O virus. Honestly that whole thing is played out anyway. How many times have we seen Cable struggling with it, near death, almost completely consumed by it, only to miraculously recover in the end. It’s tired. Just dump it. If they need to nerf his powers, do it in another way. Just have them resurrect him with genetic modifications that don’t allow him to access his full psionic ability, since his full power apparently causes him to deteriorate as well.

I love the metal arm though. Its part of his look and very iconic to him

The virus is a fundamental part of his character at this point. It’s his forever battle. Plus quite frankly more unique then psychic powers.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-16-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Guess I’m just bored by it. Same story over and over. “Oh no! His T-O virus is raging out of control! And he’s lost his powers (again). Oh gee. Wonder what will happen this time?”

If ever there was a character begging for a modern reinvention it’s Cable. At least IMO.

And, no, making him a kid doesn’t count. That’s just stupid and lame. Like Kid Lobo.

BANNED

Guess I’m just bored by it. Same story over and over. “Oh no! His T-O virus is raging out of control! And he’s lost his powers (again). Oh gee. Wonder what will happen this time?”

If ever there was a character begging for a modern reinvention it’s Cable. At least IMO.

And, no, making him a kid doesn’t count. That’s just stupid and lame. Like Kid Lobo.
    Yeah the last time they did that to Cable was during X-Sanction, right?

I am not a fan of Kid Cable but Philo Noto is just amazing. I feel bad that he is doing this. Might check it out.

They just did it again during the latest X-Force run. With Kid Cable, but still. Same boring ass crap T-O virus ravaging his body story. Over and over and over again. It’s tired. And a crutch really. For lazy writers to use in order to manufacture drama with the character.

It would be much harder and more rewarding if they actually had to do it by delving into his character some.

BANNED

They just did it again during the latest X-Force run. With Kid Cable, but still. Same boring ass crap T-O virus ravaging his body story. Over and over and over again. It’s tired.
    I haven't read Brisson's run yet. Never cared about his comics.

I'm fine with the Techno organic Virus. However he's had it for ... what? 50- 60 years? (I have no clue how old Cable is supposed to be.) It shouldn't be a thing that he strains with or something that he has to fight. It's just how he is now. They just need to accept that Cable is part metal and stop worrying about it taking him over.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm fine with the Techno organic Virus. However he's had it for ... what? 50- 60 years? (I have no clue how old Cable is supposed to be.) It shouldn't be a thing that he strains with or something that he has to fight. It's just how he is now. They just need to accept that Cable is part metal and stop worrying about it taking him over.
    They could make it functional. Aside from the obvious durability and strength that it could provide, Cable could channel his TK through it to augment his punches, throw up shields and shotgun like force blasts. It could act as a very powerful short range form of his tk

Incredible Member

I think it'd be more fun to see Cable return to his future and get an arc with him there. He hasn't been there since the first arc of his own series. At that point, he wasn't in the past to stop Apocalypse's rise but control it by adding Cannonball to the ranks of the Externals who would rule the world. It was only when he went back after that he embraced his destiny.

Or, maybe seeing Cable pull Big Nate out of being a universe and letting him move on from the Age of X-Man. But that's not going to happen since it feels like it may be better to just have one version of all characters for now with Krakoa being the thing to explore.