Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default DC May 2020 Solicitations

Spectacular Member

First impressions:

1) Is DC deliberately not showing us a cover of Generation One and not listing creators, or are they scrambling? If they are scrambling, that does NOT inspire confidence.

2) I hope Green Lantern fans enjoy the 100 page 80th anniversary book. Why are all the males in each row drawn at the same height? Maybe they're levitating to match each other

3) Once again, I'm scooping up all the facsimile, dollar, and now classic editions. Good affordable fun that exposes you to a variety of material.

My Choices

GENERATION ONE
    GREEN LANTERN 8OTH ANNIVERSARY 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #1

Geez. Biggest month for me in a while that I can remember.

Getting:

-Generation One: Age of Mysteries: I know nothing of the writer so I'm cautiously optimistic but I generally like these "a look at history" books
    -Batman: The Adventures Continue #1: Since it's a mini I may wait for trade, but either way I'll be reading it.
    -Green Lantern 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular: Please let Marz and Banks do the Kyle story!!!!
    -Batman #94: Still not sold on Tynion's run so far, and not really looking forward to where it's going, so may end up dropping it by this point.
    -Batman #95: See: Above
    -Strange Adventures #3
    -Action Comics #1023: Can we please get Romita off of Action Comics? Please?
    -Detective Comics #1023
    -The Flash #755
    -The Flash #756
    -Legion of Super Heroes #7
    -Lois Lane #11
    -Shazam #13
    -Supergirl #42: Interesting that they didn't even let it get to issue 50 to cancel it.
    -Superman #23
    -Young Justice #16

Random Comments:

-Batman: The Smile Killer #1: Since it's a one-shot, hopefully it gets included in the collection of Lemire/Sorrentino's Joker mini.
    -Manhunters: The Secret History #1: Andreyko back on Kate Spencer is an easy buy, but since it's a mini I'll trade wait.
    -Suicide Squad #6: I don't get the series but I may grab it just for that Jeremy Roberts variant. Man that thing looks good.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Besides my usual reads it will definitely be Death Metal #1, Generations One, and maybe the Green Lantern 80th.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

So much Joker, but it all sells I guess.

EVENT LEVIATHAN: CHECKMATE #2
    -Easily the most interesting thing at DC right now for me. Love or hate him, Bendis has done something I've wanted DC to do for a long time and that is to re-invigorate the Question and Green Arrow back to where they were under Grell and O'Neil.
    He's also done something else... Everyone complains about new female characters being created and stealing the spotlight, instead of DC (or Marvel) taking unused female characters, sharpening them up, and making them shine again.
    Here, Bendis has brought back the Kate Spencer Manhunter. And DC has even gone so far as to do...

MANHUNTERS: THE SECRET HISTORY #1
    -With Kate as the lead character. Written by Marc Andreyko, even!
    DC is making a good attempt to bring her back. Let's see if the people support it.

GENERATION ONE
    -Here comes the timeline... It's five issues and will probably be spread out over a year. Considering the price, it's probably best at being bi-monthly.
    Plus, the JSA are included.

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE #1
    -Just because... Some things are just so good, they always come back. The DCAU (and the Batman Animated Series, most importantly) made such an impact during the '90s that it became the gold standard for most people (Well, them and the X-Men cartoon). I'm always glad to see it brought back. Even if it's just for a mini-series.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #23
    -It's still going. The main cover looks a mess. A very bad decision to overlap Zatanna over Wonder Woman instead of the other way around. Probably would have been best to just put fewer characters on the cover. Dis-proportioned characters mess with my OCD. On the flipside, the Paquette cover looks good. And it's nice to see Dr. Fate and Zatanna still appearing somewhere.

NIGHTWING #72
    -"Dick Grayson has learned the truth: that 'fixing' his identity lies with none other than Barbara Gordon."
    'Nuff said.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

Bruce and Selina better not be breaking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

GENERATION ONE
    -Here comes the timeline... It's five issues and will probably be spread out over a year. Considering the price, it's probably best at being bi-monthly.
    Plus, the JSA are included.
    Actually they announced generations are monthly one-shots, so one will be in June, followed by July until it finishes with Generation 5 around October/November.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Thoughts:

- Will DC survive yet another "Metal" event from Scott Snyder?

- I'm hyped for Paul Dini and Alan Burnett returning to DCAU Batman .

- Nice to see DC going all out for GL's 80th with a new one-shot and plenty of anniversary covers. Delightfully surprised by those that have Alan Scott front and center.

- So it's Endgame v2 with Batman and Joker again to lead into 5G.

- Batman in a world where he was influenced by The Joker? At least that's what the solicit for "The Smile Killer" makes me think.

- "Something about Leviathan’s rise to power doesn’t make sense! How did the organization get so big—and so powerful—so fast?" To hype them up?

- Poor Kirk. He was making such progress, and now he's an out-of-control Man-Bat again. Well, he's got his own series now at least .

- I am so down for Marc Andreyko writing Manhunter again .

- I'm somewhat curious to see how King writes Mr. Terrific in Strange Adventures.

- Aquman's daughter is named "Andy?" And she's a mini-Mera? Not sure how I feel about that...

- Couldn't resist a Killing Joke homage with Batgirl, huh?

- Will Batman and The Outsiders put the final kibbosh on Ra's Al Ghul before 5G hits?

- Weren't all of those assassins in Gotham hired by The Designer...?

- I thought Sean Murphy's Catwoman story would be set in the White Knight universe, but it's just a fill-in.

- Y'know what, with 5G, Bruce might actually save Harvey for good this time around. At least until they reset things back and writers want to use Two-Face again.

- So Williamson is going to lift Johns' Reverse-Flash Family idea. Although who would be in it? Go back in time to grab Hunter when he was still pure Zoom? Bring back Inertia? Daniel West? Godspeed?

- As far as I'm concerned Morrison's entire GL run has been building up to a team-up between Hal and Barry.

- "At last—Hawkman and Hawkwoman are reunited!" I guess Kendra is redundant now.

- Cool to see JLD getting a Swamp Thing-mythos focused arc.

- I hope the Amazons don't treat the male Leaguers with too much disdain. Although I'm not sure if the team should really have long-held grudges by this point.

- So the Metal Men get a taste of independence but then realize they're better off with Doc Magnus?

- You'd think if Babs was the key to fixing "Ric" then she would've fixed it when she visited him. Is it wrong I'm rooting for Punchline to make a joke out of "Ric?"

- The Shazam family fighting the DC equivalent of a cosmic man-child is...kind of fitting.

- I wonder if Batman will own the Squad as badly as he did in the animated movie? Although with Taylor writing and Harley in the group, maybe not.

- Man, what is it with Batman shutting down Titans teams? And now they have to take on Brother Blood without Robin.

- Simon Stagg had a secret son or unknown male relative?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Actually they announced generations are monthly one-shots, so one will be in June, followed by July until it finishes with Generation 5 around October/November.
    Cool.
    Hope that's how they come out.
    DC doesn't have a good track record lately with high profile comics coming out on time.
    And this series just screams 'Gotta put my hand in there and change stuff at the last minute'.
    But, fingers crossed!
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Cool.
    Hope that's how they come out.
    DC doesn't have a good track record lately with high profile comics coming out on time.
    And this series just screams 'Gotta put my hand in there and change stuff at the last minute'.
    But, fingers crossed!
    You know what you are not wrong about that. Hopefully the team of creators on these one-shots, because it doesn’t seem like they’ve indicated which of the writers announced will work on this issue, will allow for it to keep on schedule.
    Words to live by.

When the Earth is enveloped by the Dark Multiverse, the Justice League is at the mercy of the Batman Who Laughs.

That’s all I need to know. Hard pass. Sooooo tired of The Batman Who Laughs.

You know, I just read Final Crisis, and isn't what BWL is doing similar to what Darkseid did in that? The idea of turning heroes evil isn't even original!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    - "At last—Hawkman and Hawkwoman are reunited!" I guess Kendra is redundant now.

- Man, what is it with Batman shutting down Titans teams? And now they have to take on Brother Blood without Robin.
    Wasn't Kendra with Martian Manhunter anyway?

And yeah, the Justice League shut down Dick's Rebirth Titans team. I'm sure someone's missing on that cover. There's a gap at the top right. Maybe a new team member joins, maybe Damian's still there but under a new persona (he'll need a new one for 5G anyway if he's not Robin any more).

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You miscounted there. May, June, July, August, September. One-shots end in September, 5G starts properly in October. That also why Green Lantern Season Two got cut down to eight issues. That'll now finish in September too. Presumably relaunches in October for 5G.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-14-2020 at 04:04 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You know, I just read Final Crisis, and isn't what BWL is doing similar to what Darkseid did in that? The idea of turning heroes evil isn't even original!

Wasn't Kendra with Martian Manhunter anyway?

And yeah, the Justice League shut down Dick's Rebirth Titans team. I'm sure someone's missing on that cover. There's a gap at the top right. Maybe a new team member joins, maybe Damian's still there but under a new persona (he'll need a new one for 5G anyway if he's not Robin any more).

You miscounted there. May, June, July, August, September. One-shots end in September, 5G starts properly in October. That also why Green Lantern Season Two got cut down to eight issues. That'll now finish in September too. Presumably relaunches in October for 5G.
    Wait...that's kind of weird. I know Snyder wanted it separate but why would 5G start right before Death Metal ends? Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to conclude at the same time so the big "anti-crisis" event that makes everything matter concludes with the end of the series of one-shots that establish DC history.
    Words to live by.