Spectacular Member

Default What is Superman's love for humanity?

There are four type of love in greek philosophy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_words_for_love
    Eros,Philia,Storge,Agape.
    What is the nature of superman's love for humanity?

He's a friend. His kindness.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    He's a friend. His kindness.
    Yeah.
    He is the best friend for literally everyone.��
    But, is it phila love? or some sort of agape love?

Of the concepts listed at the link I think Philia fits the best. I strongly dislike the paternal take on Superman that is typical of writers like Frank Miller, where he sees humanity as lesser than him.

Philia fits because it sets his love of humanity as one of equals, where agape seems to require he doesn't love humanity like equals but like how a god does. He doesn't see himself as above humanity.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Of the concepts listed at the link I think Philia fits the best. I strongly dislike the paternal take on Superman that is typical of writers like Frank Miller, where he sees humanity as lesser than him.

Philia fits because it sets his love of humanity as one of equals, where agape seems to require he doesn't love humanity like equals but like how a god does. He doesn't see himself as above humanity.
    I agree.
    Superman sees humanity as his equal.
    But,His Philia is universal.So,I can see agape(universal love) in him too.
    I like philosophy and history of religion and myth.
    So, I wonder what love superman(most archetypical superhero in comic book history) represents most.
    Last edited by catman; 02-15-2020 at 12:21 PM.

I would be interested in the transformation from high school boy to adult Superman. While Clark was in the school environment he was being mind controlled by educators, involved in peer politics, and trying to work out a mission for his life being an alien with many talents. Then something happens just after he speaks to the careers director. At some point he dismisses his school training and looks at his life as a responsible citizen, and decides he’ll make life better here, a complete u-turn of what Lex Luther decided.

Superman starts off here rectifying domestic disputes, so he starts small. All he is, is this somebody who is able to intervene in bad situations between the other human beings. This escalates to major interventions with other beings with high power levels, and, into multiple interventions going on together, because his awareness is such that he can intervene in a lot of locations. But this presents a problem, because he can’t save everyone. So what does Clark do? He comes to terms with the fact he can only stretch himself so far, otherwise he is stuck in a continuous loop of helping, and there is no room for Clark to live his normal life. When he gets to balance that problem, then Superman has a sort of love which is similar to volenteers everywhere.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-17-2020 at 10:39 PM.