Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New FF Book

All-New Member

Default The New FF Book

I really hope they move on . Most of the new series is a horrible reinteraction of the 1st. 1st. to 30 books ,and not a good one ! AND , how do they dumb Reed Richards down ? Really ! This new iteration has Reed , The Smartest Man in the Universe , missing that someone just 44 light years away gave them their powers !! I hate the dumbing of Reed. It's time to get the FF back as the 1st. family of Marvel ! Let's see a series when Reed is Reed , Johnny is Heroic , Ben fights to the finish , and Sue saves the day

Now we have angst , the kids have issues , and a BULLSHT way the FF got Powers ! To anyone who has followed the FF as long as I have , Jack Kirby must be turning in his grave !

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ulti View Post
    I really hope they move on . Most of the new series is a horrible reinteraction of the 1st. 1st. to 30 books ,and not a good one ! AND , how do they dumb Reed Richards down ? Really ! This new iteration has Reed , The Smartest Man in the Universe , missing that someone just 44 light years away gave them their powers !! I hate the dumbing of Reed. It's time to get the FF back as the 1st. family of Marvel ! Let's see a series when Reed is Reed , Johnny is Heroic , Ben fights to the finish , and Sue saves the day

Now we have angst , the kids have issues , and a BULLSHT way the FF got Powers ! To anyone who has followed the FF as long as I have , Jack Kirby must be turning in his grave !
    It’s not the book itself, it’s Dan Slott. He’s just not a good fit for the book. Other than Marrying Ben and Alicia, everything else seems like fanboyism. The team needs another big idea writer who will push them to new heights while also keeping them in character.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyDemonic View Post
    It’s not the book itself, it’s Dan Slott. He’s just not a good fit for the book. Other than Marrying Ben and Alicia, everything else seems like fanboyism. The team needs another big idea writer who will push them to new heights while also keeping them in character.
    Not gonna lie, between Iron Man and FF, I really haven’t been feeling Slott’s writing since he left Spider-Man.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyDemonic View Post
    Totally agree. I've been buying the issues out of habit but so far haven't read them since the Doom arc ended.

This is the most interesting the book’s been to me in a while.
    It’s not perfect but it’s relatable; the characters act like themselves.

I haven’t been a fan of Reed’s in a while, due to him being written as douche-y in other books, but he’s back to being likable here.

Chip Zdarsky please!!! He proved he can write a phenomenal FF book with his Marvel 2 in 1.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

FFs return easily could have been as big as the current push on X-Men is. Slott has completely missed the mark and is focussing on writing stories he had when he was much younger that just don’t simply work in a more modern era.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    FFs return easily could have been as big as the current push on X-Men is. Slott has completely missed the mark and is focussing on writing stories he had when he was much younger that just don’t simply work in a more modern era.
    I’d rather have those stories/less of a push/other fans thinking the book and or characters are dated, than the FF being completely out of character like the X-Men currently are.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I’d rather have those stories/less of a push/other fans thinking the book and or characters are dated, than the FF being completely out of character like the X-Men currently are.
    Semantics and opinions aside, you understand my point. Their return hasn’t made much of an impact, when it really should have pushed them to forefront of the MU for at least a year.

Semantics and opinions aside, you understand my point. Their return hasn’t made much of an impact, when it really should have pushed them to forefront of the MU for at least a year.
    I’d rather the book (any book really) be good, and true to the characters than popular.
    It may not last as long but i’ll enjoy it more.

Anyhow, i’ve stated my opinion on this subject, expanded on it, and clarified it.
    I think 3 posts still leaves this particular horse in good health, I won’t continue to beat it.

Problems with the latest version of the FF book are mentioned fairly often. Most of them are “I don’t like…” complaints about the book’s stories or direction. And those criticisms are fair, although not everyone will agree on them. Others are more objective and there is actually something that can be examined and compared with other books. I’m going to go through a few and comment. And please remember, it’s perfectly alright if we have differing opinions on these funny books.
    First, let’s talk villains. Eradikus, the Griever was a standard cookie cutter overpowered villain who seems to have been derived to fill a Reed conclusion to save the day. Her power made it necessary to get “everybody” to defeat her. Now although she was plain and undeveloped, her schtick was something a write could use for a deeper story. I was OK with the lack of detail in her in this because the story wasn’t about her. The story was the return of the FF.
    The Doom/Galactus story was a mess. I can get Doom trying to utilize energy to take care of Latveria, but to have Galactus jobbing is horrible. Galactus was the first real “omnipotent” adversary and turning him into someone who is used as a pawn hurts the character. As for Doom, turning him back into a moustache twirling “I keel you” baddie erases decades of work. Sure, he’s a bad guy. But come on, he’s developed far past the anti-FF motivation shown in this mess. Yukkk!
    As for the addition to the FF’s origin, let’s look at this. A planet 44 light years away can tell Reed’s stealing a rocket with his buddies and are heading towards their planet. That is some pretty sweet intelligence work. And messing with cosmic rays to ruin the flight was something I can believe in comic book science, but if a race is capable of that, why do they fear the FF? Maybe the conclusion to the “Mopee” saga will explain some of this and fix it, but somehow I doubt it.
    Skonny. Here, I’m not as against this as with the villain messes. We know Johnny thinks with a different part of his body. The “soulmate” devices seem to work on humans as shown with Reed and Sue. And I took that as a meta-statement about their marriage. But even trying to find the aspects of human psychology that would make people “soulmates” and picking up on them seems to be a fairly complicated procedure. Man, Spyre seems to have all the cool toys, don’t they? Anyway. Slott’s had characters mentioning it’s “just like Crystal”. Slott is talented enough not to bring up an apparent weakness in his story and not have a twist. At least I hope so. I’m still in the corner here and willing to see where Skonny goes.
    The artist carousel is annoying. But none of them has been sub par.
    Now, the kids. Franklin is an annoying young teenage boy. YES! Boys at the age of 13 and 14 are annoying. They can be pains in the butt as they develop their own personalities and find their place in the world. He’s gone from creating universes to being nothing special as his little sister still is able to do science stuff with Dad. Sorry folks, his being an emo PITA seems like a perfectly normal and typical development. I may not like Franklin as a person right now, but the writing is something that makes sense to me. Val’s gotten some maturity but still has a mischievous streak. I can certainly accept Slott’s less than subtle spray-painting FAMILY in giant letters all over this book, but it is the FF and this separates it from Avengers and X-Men.
    Overall, I find Slott’s bigger stories less developed. He seems to get details but when it comes to putting a five or six part trade together, the story to me, isn’t there. I can certainly understand the thoughts of “fanfic” and “stories he wanted to tell”. Hopefully, Slott’s post-Empyre arc will be something more popular, but two of his first three have had weaknesses that bothered me.

Chip on 2-in-1 - and now X-Men/FF has been a great breath of fresh air. The first ark, especially, was very classic FF but it felt modern too. If we had some of that, I’d be all in.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Chip on 2-in-1 - and now X-Men/FF has been a great breath of fresh air. The first ark, especially, was very classic FF but it felt modern too. If we had some of that, I’d be all in.
    Yeah, I think Marvel Powers That Be made a mistake in anointing Slott as the new Fantastic For writer. It should have been Zdarsky.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    It's nice to see someone else thinks that the X-men characters are nothing like they have been since any of them were created no matter what side they are on.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Overall, I find Slott’s bigger stories less developed. He seems to get details but when it comes to putting a five or six part trade together, the story to me, isn’t there.
    That sums up the problem with the book currently.

One thing that he's doing that I once thought could get no worse after Secret Wars is creating characters so powerful no story is believable with them in it. The story with Eradikus was just too contrived for that reason.