Page 158 of 420 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208258 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Extraordinary Member

Wizard Wobble A Wake-Up Call For Marvel As ‘Doctor Strange 2’ Falls 67% In Weekend 2; Audiences Run Cold On ‘Firestarter’
    In its second weekend of release, the latest installment in Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe has collected $61 million from 4,534 North American theaters. Ticket sales were down 67% from its opening weekend, marking a steeper drop off compared to recent Marvel movies like “Eternals” (which declined 61% in its second weekend) and “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” (which declined 52% in its second weekend). However, that sizable decline is not surprising since “Doctor Strange 2” is coming off the 11th biggest opening weekend in history with $187 million. After 10 days on the big screen, the standalone superhero adventure has grossed a strong $291 million in North America.
    At the international box office, the “Strange” sequel added $83.5 million from 49 markets. In total, the film has grossed $688.1 million globally.
    https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...bs-1235267407/

I saw other reports saying doctor strange 2 may not hit a billion.
    Let's keep mind that china and now russia and a few other places were out of the picture.
    Now because of china and russia,but china more so there is no guarantee that any film from any studio will hit a billion post covid.
    Films that could have made a billion pre covid is less so now.
    Anyway just be happy if it makes 800 million or close to a billion and disney with their recent views are making it known now and are preparing folks for that,but some how anti-disney folks will spin it.
    Last edited by mace11; 05-15-2022 at 09:50 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Wizard Wobble A Wake-Up Call For Marvel As ‘Doctor Strange 2’ Falls 67% In Weekend 2; Audiences Run Cold On ‘Firestarter’

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...bs-1235267407/

I saw other reports saying doctor strange 2 may not hit a billion.
    Let's keep mind that china and now russia and a few other places were out of the picture.
    Now because of china and russia,but china more so there is no guarantee that any film from any studio will hit a billion post covid.
    Films that could have made a billion pre covid is less so now.
    Anyway just be happy if it makes 800 million or close to a billion and disney wilth their recent views are making it known now and are preparing folks for that,but some how anti-disney folks will spin it.

The entire premise that a Doctor Strange movie should make a Billion without China is crazy to begin with. If it does that would be remarkable. How many movies in history have made a Billion without China?

What percentage of the first film's sales came from China? Just curious as to how well the character was perceived previously.

The movie has made more in two weeks than the previous one in it's entire theatrical run (680 million). And that's without China, were it made $110 million.

No, not making a billion does not mean a movie is a failure. A third Ant-Man film it's on the way and none of those came close to the billion mark (MoM has already made than the total amount of either). The movie is a success, it doesn't have to make a billion to be considered as such.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    The entire premise that a Doctor Strange movie should make a Billion without China is crazy to begin with. If it does that would be remarkable. How many movies in history have made a Billion without China?
    Yet people were happy to roll with it last weekend, because of the size of the debut, right?

About your question, Joker did a billion against all expectations and odds: not being a typical comic flick and in fact having less action than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, being rated R, not being released in China, getting somewhat mixed reviews, the media fearmongering against it...

There could be several blockbusters able to still be billion grossers after substracting the China box office from the total, but I don't care enough about the question to go check.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    The movie has made more in two weeks than the previous one in it's entire theatrical run (680 million). And that's without China, were it made $110 million.

No, not making a billion does not mean a movie is a failure. A third Ant-Man film it's on the way and none of those came close to the billion mark (MoM has already made than the total amount of either). The movie is a success, it doesn't have to make a billion to be considered as such.

Holy crap, it made 110 million in China in 2016? Wow that just goes to show you how big this movie is doing then now. And its not even out two weeks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Yet people were happy to roll with it last weekend, because of the size of the debut, right?

About your question, Joker did a billion against all expectations and odds: not being a typical comic flick and in fact having less action than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, being rated R, not being released in China, getting somewhat mixed reviews, the media fearmongering against it...

There could be several blockbusters able to still be billion grossers after substracting the China box office from the total, but I don't care enough about the question to go check.

The Joker was to me the biggest most amazing box office surprise of all time. And yes there are several that went over a billion without China. But it aint very many.

I think theater releases are just more front-loaded than ever, anybody who cares about spoilers runs out to see it the first week, everybody else is okay with waiting for streaming. Also i suspect not as many repeat viewings - people just more willing to wait a couple of months before catching it again. imo of course. Granted, NWH certainly had plenty of repeat viewers and lower drop-offs in box office week to week so there's an immediate counterexample

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I think theater releases are just more front-loaded than ever, anybody who cares about spoilers runs out to see it the first week, everybody else is okay with waiting for streaming. Also i suspect not as many repeat viewings - people just more willing to wait a couple of months before catching it again. imo of course. Granted, NWH certainly had plenty of repeat viewers and lower drop-offs in box office week to week so there's an immediate counterexample
    I agree with your points and No Way Home isn't necessarily a counter example to them. Every available metric points to NWH being much more liked by audiences than Multiverse of Madness, so that explains its theatrical longevity due to repeated viewings. What also may have played a role is that NWH wasn't going to get released on a subscription-based streaming platform soon whereas in the case of MoM everybody knows it'll be on Disney+ in a few weeks.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    What also may have played a role is that NWH wasn't going to get released on a subscription-based streaming platform soon whereas in the case of MoM everybody knows it'll be on Disney+ in a few weeks.
    There is no official release date as to when it will be on Disney+.

Best guess is sometime in July-August. They don't have the 45 day policy that HBO Max is using for DC movies.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Exactly, Marvel movies are becoming very front-load, for the reason you pointed out. If you are a fan who engage in the youtube fandom in less than a week their were videos given full scene by scene breakdowns.

MOM second week drop-off was 67% while NWH was 69% , I think it too eary to say what the legs on MOM will be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Exactly, Marvel movies are becoming very front-load, for the reason you pointed out. If you are a fan who engage in the youtube fandom in less than a week their were videos given full scene by scene breakdowns.

MOM second week drop-off was 67% while NWH was 69% , I think it too eary to say what the legs on MOM will be.
    I think the amount of violence and blood(haven't seen it yet) and the PG-13 rating will hurt the BO and legs of MOM. A lot of parents probably don't want their children to watch all the gore the movie has. Maybe if it was more kid-friendly the opening would have been higher and the 2nd week drop lower.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

There will be stronger competition for Multiverse than No Way Home. There was a 3 month period where nothing big seemed to release against No Way Home.

Multiverse should do at least $800-850 million. Which is fantastic for a Dr. Strange film.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I think the amount of violence and blood(haven't seen it yet) and the PG-13 rating will hurt the BO and legs of MOM. A lot of parents probably don't want their children to watch all the gore the movie has. Maybe if it was more kid-friendly the opening would have been higher and the 2nd week drop lower.
    I don't disagree with this.

Another thing I think people should take into consideration when calculating Marvel movies drop-off recently, usually, Thursday night previews which count as first weekend numbers use to start at 10 pm sometimes 7 pm if early, both NWH and MOM previews started at 3 pm Thursday, this helps inflate weekend numbers but also make the drop-off numbers bigger than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    There will be stronger competition for Multiverse than No Way Home. There was a 3 month period where nothing big seemed to release against No Way Home.

Multiverse should do at least $800-850 million. Which is fantastic for a Dr. Strange film.
    This is exactly where in at with it.