Page 392 of 420 FirstFirst ... 292342382388389390391392393394395396402 ... LastLast
Results 5,866 to 5,880 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

The outlook continues to look bleak for superhero pic The Marvels, which is falling off 78 percent to 80 percent in its second outing to rank as Marvel Studios’ worst second-weekend drop of all time, as well as the worst for any Hollywood superhero pic. Among Marvel Cinematic Universe titles, threequel Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania previously sported the worst drop of 69 percent.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ng-1235663158/

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    The outlook continues to look bleak for superhero pic The Marvels, which is falling off 78 percent to 80 percent in its second outing to rank as Marvel Studios’ worst second-weekend drop of all time, as well as the worst for any Hollywood superhero pic. Among Marvel Cinematic Universe titles, threequel Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania previously sported the worst drop of 69 percent.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ng-1235663158/
    Yup MCU is dead now DCEU territory

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

...It's a single bomb out of how many successes and somehow it means the whole franchise is doomed?

Even if one has a hard bias against the Marvel films(which is weird enough) how can one logically make that claim with a straight face?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Lol no. A studio that's made $30+ billion with 33 projects isn't "dead" because of one (or even 3) bombs. Especially when they aren't consecutive.

Astonishing Member

Marvels is totally not going to pull off an Elementals now and would have been doomed at any calendar date, Dune not being delayed and taking its IMAX screens would have made it even worse. Thanksgiving is getting surprisingly good reviews for a gimmicky slasher horror movie adapting the fake trailer the same director made years ago. Looks like Eli Roth still has it, which would make me glad he's directing Borderlands, I wouldn't want a movie with Cate Blanchett, Jack Black, Kevin Hart and Jamie Lee Curtis to be bad if the videogame movie genre is on the rise.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Lol no. A studio that's made $30+ billion with 33 projects isn't "dead" because of one (or even 3) bombs. Especially when they aren't consecutive.
    Doesn't mean there's no trouble in paradise and we should assume this is fine, the stuff under the hood is bad. Guardians 3 is a fresh success for this year for them (Spider-Verse 2 made sure Sony will continue to keep the Spidey rights), but the elephant in the room about that movie is, that franchise already wrapped up, Pratt moved on to voice Mario for who knows how long and Gunn will try to reboot DC, which by now seems like at least a great all-or-nothing choice. And the difference in box office that can exist for current Phase entries, whether they are brand new entries or sequels to previous Phase movies, can be there. Black Widow might have been a hit given the circumstances but it was a dead end for sequels unless they really pull the desperate emergency resurrect RDJ and others brake this early. It can't be ignored Spider-Way No Way Home pulled 5 times the amount of audiences Eternals got, despite Eternals being advertised as being from an Oscar winning director, in order for them to not just have another Holland Spidey film but also relive nostalgia from previous Spider-Man movies (and both movies came out within a month and half difference so the pandemic can't be blamed, SNL even made a skit about Biden begging people not go watch it).

And while Doc Strange 2 did better than the first and I'd like to think it's because audiences embraced Raimi adding his horror tropes to that, I think it's not a coincidence the both the videogame Uncharted movie and Doctor Strange 2 were released a few months after No Way Home (Tom Holland also starred in Uncharted which overperformed industry expectations, and box office people sure said at the time it was from No Way Home goodwill, boosting perception about the strength of the superhero genre whether they did it intentionally or not). But even Strange 2 kept teasing more multiverse stuff and by now the interest for that stuff might be getting diluted for audiences if what I heard about the Marvels (which has bombed for 2 weeks straight) or TV shows oversaturation is true.

By now I put Thor 4 in a similar category. Goodwill from Ragnarok was that strong to make it do well but the opening weekend audience scores where fanboys camp are slipping, consistently. And Marvels is not just bombing, it's doing it historically so for the genre, there's a chance it could end below the infamous 90s Shaq Steel for worst second weekend drop of all time. I keep seeing people justifying the original Captain Marvel's performance as being due to its scheduling between the final Avengers movies, but that makes it all worse. Marvel currently does not have that kind of hype train, and it definitely won't get it again for /years/.

I assume Deadpool 3 will at least do okay but that's not only the lone Marvel release next year, I not only assume the nostalgia bit will also apply there (Hugh Jackman Wolverine unretires!) but if they really still keep it R, I also assume it will still be its own thing like Spider-verse movies. And delaying movies (like is the case right now with Thunderbolts for example, a movie I don't assume has a massive audience on the edge of their seats right now waiting for it) can contribute as much to diminishing interest as what the actual movies are about or where they came from.
    Last edited by Wildling; 11-18-2023 at 04:49 PM.

Oh, they definitely need to make adjustments and it looks like they're doing just that. My point was specifically to what Maestro claimed.

Dcu did not have a movie that made $800m this year and a side universe spin-off made twice as much as the first film. Mcu did!

Love how everyone "forgets" that.

With that said---

Marvels looks to not be another elemental. It does not look good at all!

Third place belongs to Disney’s The Marvels with a second Friday of $2.8M (ouch, -87%) and second weekend forecast of $9.7M, -79% –the biggest second weekend drop ever for an MCU title, and a running total of $64.5M by EOD Sunday.
    Yikes!

Looks like hunger games will hit first and trolls 3 second.

Next goal wins fumbles into 6th place if it keeps the way it is.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/box-off...es-1235616095/

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    To soon to say that still sitting on FF4 and X-Men and while they have already made some questionable choices with the latter like using Ms Marvel as the vehicle for a franchise 5 years ago she had no to attachment it still hasn't been really tapped into.....now if they fail with that you might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...It's a single bomb out of how many successes and somehow it means the whole franchise is doomed?

Even if one has a hard bias against the Marvel films(which is weird enough) how can one logically make that claim with a straight face?
    Secret Invasion and Quantumania count plus Brave New World possibly.

Astonishing Member

I think it's good news the Hunger Games prequel is expected to take number 1 this weekend (a powerful superhero movie on its second weekend would have prevented that to various degrees X amount of time ago, Marvels not remotely qualifying now) with a similar enough box office to the Jumanji sequels debuts. I think that's a good enough comparison for just the opening because while a Hunger Games prequel with a new cast shouldn't be compared to the original ones from years ago, the Jumanji sequels were also made years after the previous one, with a whole new cast that was also bloated with stars like Rock and Jack Black, but then again their ultimate box office was hugely boosted from being released in the December to January holiday timeframe. But back to Hunger Games, Jumanji movies also had similar enough budgets hovering around the $100 million range. Basically I'm glad the usual suspects about man rights that seemed to be obsessed against Rachel Zegler (who will maybe have a bigger hit here than with Shazam! 2) seem to be mostly mum against this movie because either they don't have too much leg to stand on or, maybe more likely, Brie Larson's Marvels bomb is more than enough to take up their cycle.

Holy crap. An 80% drop and not even making $10 million in its second weekend. Never thought I’d see a Marvel movie with absolutely dismal numbers like that.

I think it’s a short lived slump as Deadpool 3 will clean up next year what with Hugh Jackman reprising his Wolverine role. actually wearing a more comic accurate costume generated huge buzz.

Marvel will be fine but gone are the days where every MCU movie has the potential to hit $800 million to $1 billion. I think they’re already making adjustments and Fantastic 4 and X Men will help them rule pop culture for the next decade or more.

Mighty Member

Thanksgiving. Saw it. Loved it. Hope we get a sequel where the leftovers are carved up. The dad, the boyfriend,scuba etc...

Other than The Flash no DC movie this year was of a high profile character, The Marvels was the highest profile superhero movie of the year. For a movie to make $1.1b one year than have it's sequel do as catastrophically bad as its done is truly unprecedented. NOBODY saw this coming. If I predicted a $500m finish just a few months ago I'd be called a hater, now it won't even do half that. Batman & Robin from 26 years ago and horrific reviews had a bigger 2nd Thursday. This will struggle to hit $90m domestic. Captain Marvel made $90m in just 2 days. The Marvels only just now passed The Flash's opening weekend. If a heavy hitter like her is doing this bad what will lesser names be doing?

Pretty crazy year so far.