Page 91 of 420 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

AMC says pre tickets for eternals have past black widow and shang chi. Says it the best day 1 pre sales this year.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/eternal...mc-1234855393/

Exhibition need not worry: After October’s vibrant box office, there is indeed more blockbuster business to come in November. Deadline has learned that advance ticket sales for Disney/Marvel’s Eternals, opening on Nov. 5, are already quite huge.

Insiders say advance sales for the movie from Oscar winning filmmaker Chloé Zhao, is estimated to have racked up $2.6M in its first 24 hours; an amount that’s +86% ahead of Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings ($1.4M) and +30% ahead of Black Widow ($2M) over the same period of time.

For No. 1 exhibitor AMC, Eternals reps their largest day one sales so far this year. Eternals tickets went on sale Monday.

Halloween kills expected to make $40m but same day release may hurt it's repeat sales.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...is-1235087961/

From Universal Pictures and Blumhouse Productions, the latest “Halloween” installment is projected to generate $35 million to $40 million in its first three days of release. That would be significantly less than its predecessor, 2018’s “Halloween,” made in its unexpectedly huge $77 million debut. The follow-up film, however, isn’t expected to replicate those results in part because “Halloween Kills” will premiere on Peacock, the NBCUniversal-owned streaming service, on the same day as its theatrical release, which could curb ticket sales.

Thur box office for halloween kills is about $5m.

Also--

“Halloween Kills” will have some competition in the form of 20th Century’s period drama “The Last Duel,” which is aiming to collect a muted $10 million in the U.S. That’s a paltry launch for a film starring Matt Damon, Adam Driver, Jodie Comer and Ben Affleck, which only delivered $350K in Thursday night previews.
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/b...ts-1235090104/

$50m for halloween kills. 10th best oct opening.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/hallowe...ce-1234856404/

Hey, Wall Street, celebrate: This is the third box office weekend in a row where all films grossed over $100M, this frame racking up an estimated $110M.

Bond nears $400m ww.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=74e5ff191772

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    $50m for halloween kills. 10th best oct opening.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/hallowe...ce-1234856404/

Bond nears $400m ww.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=74e5ff191772
    No surprises with Bond.

They normally clean house internationally.

Seeing Halloween Kills do this well is very encouraging. It's always nice to see movies break out like that.

Halloween kills with $50.1m. Next week will be the big challenge for it. Last duel dies as a box office bomb.

Overseas bond nears $450m and venom 2 makes $62.3m.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/i...ne-1235091322/

Sony’s “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” loomed large at the international box office this weekend, sinking its prodigious chompers into $62.3 million. That pushes the superhero adventure’s global haul to a muscular $283.7 million.
    Warner Bros.’ “Dune” continued to build an impressive head of steam as it barrels towards its domestic opening next weekend. The ambitious adaptation of Frank Herbert’s sprawling sci-fi epic grossed $8.5 million this weekend, that included openings in Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia and Greece. “Dune” has earned $129.3 million overseas so far.
    Last duel is a dud overseas also.

“The Last Duel,” a medieval drama that stars Adam Driver, Jodie Comer, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, collapsed at the domestic box office and didn’t get much of a lift internationally. The 20th Century Studios release earned $4.2 million from 37 territories, pushing its global total to a disastrous $9 million. The costly film is looking like a major money loser for Disney, which gained the rights when it absorbed 21st Century Fox’s entertainment assets in 2019.
    Disney did have something to celebrate, however. “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” earned $3.6 million internationally, which pushes its global gross to $414.3 million.

Venom will get to $200 million in the US. James Bond won't do that.

Ultimate Member

What happened to Last Duel?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    What happened to Last Duel?
    Movies that appeal mostly to an older audience, which hasn't yet returned to the theaters, are going to continue to struggle.

For me personally, I had a hard time accepting Matt Damon and Ben Affleck in a historical drama set in medieval France so that killed a lot of interest.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Retired

I'm anxious to see THE LAST DUEL, don't ruin it for me.

I think that I will enjoy the dialogue. Every movie in English that is about people who actually spoke a different language is taking liberties. There's no rule that the French has to be translated to sound like a bunch of upper class British people in the 1940s. All modern movies do not accurately represent how people spoke even 100 years ago. Movies are made for us now--so they speak our language.

Anyway, my understanding is THE LAST DUEL is really meant as an allegory for our times not the past.

And I love the movie RASHOMON by Kurosawa. So there's that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm anxious to see THE LAST DUEL, don't ruin it for me.

I think that I will enjoy the dialogue. Every movie in English that is about people who actually spoke a different language is taking liberties. There's no rule that the French has to be translated to sound like a bunch of upper class British people in the 1940s. All modern movies do not accurately represent how people spoke even 100 years ago. Movies are made for us now--so they speak our language.

Anyway, my understanding is THE LAST DUEL is really meant as an allegory for our times not the past.

And I love the movie RASHOMON by Kurosawa. So there's that.
    Just don't wait too long if you want to see it in a big screen, with No Time to Die, Venom and Halloween circling it like sharks (and Dune probably about to land the killing blow) it might not keep screens for long.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Movies that appeal mostly to an older audience, which hasn't yet returned to the theaters, are going to continue to struggle.

For me personally, I had a hard time accepting Matt Damon and Ben Affleck in a historical drama set in medieval France so that killed a lot of interest.
    Idk if using French actors would've boosted the English language profits

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Idk if using French actors would've boosted the English language profits
    It didn't need to be French actors...just not a couple of guys that are a little too high profile and often come off as just playing themselves. Damon and Affleck really have to do a lot for me not to see them as themselves and this wasn't it. The trailers just felt like SNL sketches to me with how out of place they looked.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

I don't know what a movie like the last duel is even suppose to make in this day and age. Its a text book example why these type of movies in movie theaters now are basically useless. Should have went right to streaming. People are not going to go out to a history based medieval movie in any numbers in this movie market. If you are making a movie like this, it should be done for Netflix,or Hulu or something. I can see why directors are frustrated but thats just reality.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I don't know what a movie like the last duel is even suppose to make in this day and age. Its a text book example why these type of movies in movie theaters now are basically useless. Should have went right to streaming. People are not going to go out to a history based medieval movie in any numbers in this movie market. If you are making a movie like this, it should be done for Netflix,or Hulu or something. I can see why directors are frustrated but thats just reality.
    1) Ridley Scott initially made this movie under Fox, and for theaters. I'd hope you'd be polite enough to not call his efforts useless to his face given how long he's been working in the field (warts and all), and for a movie that in this case seemed to work for whoever saw it.

2) Disney which owns it right now would have been unable to release in streaming currently for the same reason Free Guy (which no one really expected much from at the time either, if it comes to that) was theaters only as well.

Have a good night.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    1) Ridley Scott initially made this movie under Fox, and for theaters. I'd hope you'd be polite enough to not call his efforts useless to his face given how long he's been working in the field (warts and all), and for a movie that in this case seemed to work for whoever saw it.

2) Disney which owns it right now would have been unable to release in streaming currently for the same reason Free Guy (which no one really expected much from at the time either, if it comes to that) was theaters only as well.

Have a good night.

Them releasing it in theaters is useless. I am sure he did a fine job. But its not a movie theater movie. Its a netflix movie. And I know he made it for theaters, and with streaming rights it couldn't go right to streaming at this time. But its not the type of movie people are interested in sitting in a theater for two hours in this day and age. Just like 99 percent of westerns. Or musicals. Or almost any war movie. There are exceptions but right now its super hero movies, and fast and furious movies or horror movies. Or other huge productions that people want to go out and spend money on. I wish it wasn't that way but it is.