Page 100 of 420 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Bohemian Rhapsody’s Anthony McCarten Sues Queen Biopic Producers Over Profits; Grossed 911M worldwide. Claim The Blockbuster Is $51M In The Red Will Rock Hollywood

https://deadline.com/2021/11/bohemia...ox-1234876595/
    I mentioned this earlier in the thread and I repeat, Hollywood studios are notoriously secret about how much movies make as profit.

Deadline generally tries to calculate these profits but they are only estimates.

There are very rare exceptions where studios will come out and say they made a loss but generally studios tend to completely downplay their profits (not their revenues) to avoid paying these backend deals.. There's a very, very long list of creators that have sued studios for not paying their backend deals for blockbuster movies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yeah, i read that earlier.

The movie should have some gas in the tank to cross $400m.

Extraordinary Member

Box Office: Marvel’s ‘Eternals’ Tops $300 Million Worldwide
    Walt Disney is reporting that Marvel’s Eternals has passed $300 million in worldwide box office revenue. That includes a $1.6 million Wednesday gross in North America and another $3.9 million overseas for a $5.5 million global single-day gross. That’s obviously a 29/71 split, followed by a weekend with a 36/64 split, meaning that Eternals is performing better overseas in comparison to its (comparatively) soft domestic earnings. Its current $123.6 million 13-day domestic cume (just past Jungle Cruise and Free Guy, natch) and $176.4 million overseas total gives it $300 million on a 41/59 split. Regardless of whether it will make money in raw theatrical revenue, it may be the first MCU movie to be “rescued” by overseas box office. It’s also a possible preview of how new MCU franchises may perform going forward.

For all the online handwringing about how an emphasis on overseas box office leads to blander blockbusters and more vanilla franchise-friendly Hollywood flicks, this somewhat outside-the-box MCU flick is likely only to qualify as a hit with a face-saving over/under $435 million cume specifically if overseas audiences continue to show up in comparatively greater numbers. Likewise, we’re only getting a sequel to Dennis Villeneuve’s Dune part One because of the halfway decent (on a Covid curve, being generous) $262 million overseas cume, not its $93 million-and-counting domestic total. Chris Nolan’s Interstellar ($189 million domestic but $122 million in China and $677 million worldwide in 2014) and Pixar’s Coco (“just” $206 million domestic but $189 million in China and $800 million worldwide) are additional examples of high-end tentpoles that overperformed overseas.

But back to Chloe Zhao’s Eternals, which may end up around $165-$175 million domestic and $425-$440 million worldwide. Its final domestic/overseas split won’t be that much more or less skewed toward here or there than most MCU titles, especially when you remove China from the equation. However, it’ll have a larger overseas-centric split than Black Widow ($184 million/$195 million) and Shang-Chi ($224 million/$206 million). If you remove Spider-Man: Far from Home’s $199 million China gross, its sans-China $832 million cume is skewed 47% domestic. Ditto Captain Marvel, which $424 million domestic and $154 million in China toward its overall $1.128 billion cume. Remove China, and that’s a 44/56 split. As always, China usually just boosts the already large-enough global totals of already successful films.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 would have been fine with $389 million domestic and $762 million global without $101 million from China. Removing China makes it a 51/49 picture. Ditto Doctor Strange ($233 million domestic, $109 million in China and $677 million worldwide) or Captain America 2 ($259 million domestic, $115 million in China and $714 million worldwide). While still a hit, The Winter Soldier wouldn’t have even bested Quantum of Solace ($585 million) or Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation ($585 million) without that $115 million from China. China helped created a perception of MCU dominance despite only giving back around 25% of the ticket sale. The real key (at least theatrically) was, after The Avengers, top-tier domestic earnings and healthy “everywhere else” box office.

Offhand, had Eternals played in China and earned around $110 million (between Guardians 2 and Thor: Ragnarok), it might be looking at a $550 million cume and an unusually tilted 30/70 split. Throw in a 15% boost in a sans-Covid world, and the offbeat fantastical drama based on entirely unknown MCU characters would still earn around $615 million, or on par with Ant-Man and the Wasp. That film was also somewhat “saved” by overwhelming ($125 million in 2018, a record at the time for a solo superhero flick) Chinese box office. Nonetheless, $495 million worldwide would have been “okay I guess” without a penny from China. More importantly, these fun with math examples may indeed be the future of “new” MCU movies if China continues to mostly reject Disney’s next batch of Marvel movies.

I’m not concerned about the upcoming sequels, with or without China. Marvel was always going to be challenged once they essentially ran out of even remotely familiar characters to adapt. It’s one thing to try and make movie stars out of Hulk, Thor and Iron Man, especially in a world where each film wasn’t yet expected at the time to shatter all relevant box office records. But now that even the comparative B-listers (Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, etc.) are checked off the list. Save for lightning in a bottle moments like Black Panther ($700 million domestic and $1.346 billion global) and Guardians of the Galaxy ($333 million/$773 million), the $519 million global gross of Ant-Man may start to look like a best-case-scenario result.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=2bf355d75ca3

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Box Office: Marvel’s ‘Eternals’ Tops $300 Million Worldwide

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=2bf355d75ca3

That a really good article thanks.

My hero 3 hits $40m. Surprised to find out our theatre is still playing it. Fathom events tend to not last as long.

https://gamerant.com/my-hero-academi...de-box-office/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    That a really good article thanks.

Here is someone giving another point of view about the box office and the article posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Zyraquis
    He makes a big assumption of pandemic only affects “15%” of BO even we are still in the thick of it many places still have serious capacity limit and many people still don’t want to risk going to the theater (non vaxxed can’t go at all in some places). This article is built on sand just another wishful hit piece of MCU demise from this guy. Without China, even the top Hollywood grosser this year would struggle to get past $500m. Maybe just 1 or 2. Again, where did he get that rather minor 15%? That’s really close to pre pandemic. And he forgets that even more familiar characters than Thor and Ironman are not “checked off the list” in MCU —X-men and Fantastic Four. This “article” is not even worthy of the comment section on YouTube

https://forums.superherohype.com/thr...552056/page-15

Astonishing Member

Here is someone giving another point of view about the box office and the article posted.

Oh I agree with that. Saying that box office for any movie right now is only affected 15 percent is bullcrap. Not just eternals. Thats ridiculous.

BANNED

Dune is racing towards the 100 million mark. this movie needs it and deserves it, despite the risk it took with not letting the story get deep much, the movie desperately needs a sequel.

A 100m usa box office will be a better guarantee to that than just WB announcing the movie will get a sequel.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Oh I agree with that. Saying that box office for any movie right now is only affected 15 percent is bullcrap. Not just eternals. Thats ridiculous.
    Looking at the top 10 box office numbers in US/Canada for the last five years I agree that 15% seems low but given the number of major franchises during the pre-pandemic period, I think it may be hard to compare year to year.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Looking at the top 10 box office numbers in US/Canada for the last five years I agree that 15% seems low but given the number of major franchises during the pre-pandemic period, I think it may be hard to compare year to year.

Yea but to me just chopping of 15 percent because of the pandemic is totally ridiculous. I mean if the author thinks that domestic box office is only off 15 percent right now when a movie is released he is on crack.

What's the point of constantly bringing up random posts from other boards? Especially when they are so inaccurate like this one.

Without China, even the top Hollywood grosser this year would struggle to get past $500m.

Without China No Time To Die stands at 650 million and still counting. Even F9, a movie from a franchise that always relied heavily on China, stands at over 500 million without China.

The rest of the post is also BS but why bother addressing it when said user isn't even discussing here.

Most theater exclusive movies made roughly what could have been expected pre-pandemic. Shang-Chi was never going to make much more than 225 million domestic, he is an obscure character that didn't appear in the MCU before so he is best compared to Ant-Man's numbers. Venom 2 and A Quiet Place 2 aren't far off the results of their predecessors.

The exceptions are movies that had a simultaneous streaming release, so the day and date release is the biggest factor for subpar box office numbers, not the pandemic itself. At least for movies that skew to younger audiences, adult-oriented films have a harder time because that demographic is more hesitant to going to theaters, but Marvel movies don't belong to that group.

Eternals is doing poorly mainly because it's an obscure IP and because it isn't a very good movie according to critics and audiences (it has a B CinemaScore) likewise. Blaming its result on the pandemic when enough movies are doing much better is a cheap excuse.

I'm curious what these pandemic blamers will say when No Way Home absolutely crushes it at the domestic box office, which it definitely will.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

To find a year with a top ten with comparable box office, you actually have to go back to the early/mid 90’s. I’d believe down 50% more than 15%.

Astonishing Member

Bond made about 60 million in China. It would have made over 500 million worldwide. But its also huge in the UK of course. I mean its made almost as much in the UK as the USA. Which is pretty incredible.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 11-20-2021 at 09:04 AM.