Page 407 of 420 FirstFirst ... 307357397403404405406407408409410411417 ... LastLast
Results 6,091 to 6,105 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Ultimate Member

Another thing is marketing.

This is where Disney have completely lost it in recent years.

I can understand the strike hurt the marketing of The Marvels (for example) but the sheer number of people that said they didn't know it was opening shows something has gone wrong. Even for us in the "fandom", I had no idea that Wish was opening over the Thanksgiving weekend. I saw a lot more adverts for Napoleon which is odd because Napoleon is an adult oriented film. I even saw more advertising for the Thanksgiving horror movie than I did for Wish. It's just really weird.

I'm using Disney as an example because they seem to be pumping out so many movies in so little space and time thar they can't even market them properly.

Disneys marketing has not been great this year. Wish had less than great ads and so did the marvels. Some people didn't even know wish was out. This is anime sony and fathom event anime movies awful lack of marketing here! Disneys needs better trailers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Another thing is marketing.

This is where Disney have completely lost it in recent years.

I can understand the strike hurt the marketing of The Marvels (for example) but the sheer number of people that said they didn't know it was opening shows something has gone wrong. Even for us in the "fandom", I had no idea that Wish was opening over the Thanksgiving weekend. I saw a lot more adverts for Napoleon which is odd because Napoleon is an adult oriented film. I even saw more advertising for the Thanksgiving horror movie than I did for Wish. It's just really weird.

I'm using Disney as an example because they seem to be pumping out so many movies in so little space and time thar they can't even market them properly.
    They can't market them properly because they don't seem to know what their market is for a given movie. That was WB's big success with Barbie, they knew what their target audience wanted, and delivered it. Just like for example the first Avengers movie did, or in fact others in the early phases. But I've noticed that it isn't just Disney, advertising for movies seems to have greatly diminished for most movies. With a few notable exceptions. I wonder why?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Yeah I thought Iger's response might be the worst studio decision this year, and that's after Paramount/Spyglass fired Melissa Barrera, with Jenna "Wednesday" Ortega not returning either, and with them being expected to scrap whatever current plans they had for the next Scream sequel, like a common pre-James Gunn DC Films Universe.
    Man that was damn colossal f#% up. The very few times the audiences likes the new sequel stars and look forward to their next entry in the franchise.
    And Paramount screws up with not one but both of them.

Lady gaga jumping in on the swift bandwagon.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/...on-1235647302/

Doraemon next release in japan is march and of course no american release like most of the rest of the world.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...mon_the_movie/

Migration having slow pre sales in china. Crayon Shin-chan doing well there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c..._282m_opening/

Apart from maybe stuffed toys here and there I don't think Doraemon has had quite enjoyed the crossover mainstream or even really fringe success in America. Think a lot of the movies crunchyroll, Fathom etc have released have been 'prestige' stuff like Ghibli or stuff with at least a decent size fanbase teen or adult fanbase, which I'm not sure Doraemon really has over here.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    They can't market them properly because they don't seem to know what their market is for a given movie. That was WB's big success with Barbie, they knew what their target audience wanted, and delivered it. Just like for example the first Avengers movie did, or in fact others in the early phases. But I've noticed that it isn't just Disney, advertising for movies seems to have greatly diminished for most movies. With a few notable exceptions. I wonder why?
    It's interesting because there were a number of movies that opened this year that I didn't even know were coming out.

And that's from folks like us that are online a lot. If folks like us don't know which films are opening, then how will the general audience know?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's interesting because there were a number of movies that opened this year that I didn't even know were coming out.

And that's from folks like us that are online a lot. If folks like us don't know which films are opening, then how will the general audience know?

There were a ton of movies this year I didn't know about until they were opened. I suspect I missed a few, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    There were a ton of movies this year I didn't know about until they were opened. I suspect I missed a few, as well.
    Never heard of Silent Night until I went to see Minus One...And I consider myself up to date on these things...I guess not...But the question begs, do I use one of my AMC Alist to go see it now?

Zelda tone will be studio Ghibli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jKSxWoutY&t=1s

Luca, soul and turning red getting theatre releases.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Zelda tone will be studio Ghibli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jKSxWoutY&t=1s

Luca, soul and turning red getting theatre releases.

Maybe those Pixar releases will be limited releases (?).

Most people have seen those films on streaming multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    People want "messaging" (is this the final buzzword of 2023?) in their films...they just only want the messaging they already agree with.
    I don't want messaging in my movies, shows or comics and I am a liberal so *usually* the message is something I more or less agree with. I just don't want my entertainment to have moments where I cringe because it feels like an after school special from the 80's. Story quality should be first and foremost.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I don't want messaging in my movies, shows or comics and I am a liberal so *usually* the message is something I more or less agree with. I just don't want my entertainment to have moments where I cringe because it feels like an after school special from the 80's. Story quality should be first and foremost.
    Take something like “Dear White People,” though. Who liked the message and who didn’t like the message can tell you a lot.

Was the message necessary? I think so. Messaging is important in media. It gains exposure to particular issues. We don’t work through things unless we talk about things. And one way to get people comfortable with talking about things is exposure.

But messaging, like all things, can be handled in good or bad ways.

I don't think messaging is bad, just that you need to make good story first, not to "insert message first, even at the cost of ruin story or anger target audience"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    I don't think messaging is bad, just that you need to make good story first, not to "insert message first, even at the cost of ruin story or anger target audience"
    Absolutely. Message all you want, but start with a good story, not with a message in search of a story.