Page 25 of 420 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Well mulan has been released in china at last. And is not doing so good!

Ironic thing is it's not the behind the scenes chaos or the virus hurting it as much bu what hurt is in china was---disney plus!

Yup china is just pirating it or vpn disney plus! And the pirate copy is from--disney plus! Disney messed itself up!

Irony.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/mulan-c...cy-1234575329/

It does not help that the china version of imdb gave the film a 4.9! (it was a 4.2!)

https://movie.douban.com/subject/26357307/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Tenet shouldn’t have been released at this time.

Besides the movie not pulling enough people into cinemas, it’s going to get heavily pirated and might not even do as well on streaming as previously thought.
    That’s a good point.
    Also not enough people are going to the theater to even fill a 25% capacity. Theaters are reportedly getting 10% or less capacity.

There is a report going around that most people don't even know the indoor movies are even open!

Retired

I wonder how many drive-ins can still be open here on the west coast. We have the worst air quality in the world. In B.C., we haven't had as many wild fires as past years, yet we have the smoke from the south and you can't go outside--it's not recommended and when you do, you can taste the air and the sky is clouded over with a weird haze--I imagine it's much worse in Washington, Oregon and California. Going to a drive-in just would be insanity.

I am not sure if indoor movies are open where I am. I have no intention of going, so I didn't bother checking.

And yeah, the air in washington is garbage. Unfortunately, I've had to basically be out in it all weekend. Good thing I'm already wearing a mask all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    There is a report going around that most people don't even know the indoor movies are even open!
    I don't know about that.

The two closest theaters to me are a Cinemark and a Goodrich. The Cinemark is open(though not doing much in the way of business judging by the parking lot...) while the Goodrich is not.

The Gooodrich is in a town North of the Cinemark.

All that said, I'm worried about even the limited attendance at the Cinemark.

Still feels too soon, and I can't help but be a bit concerned about the folks who actually are attending screenings.

Hopefully, it all works out about as well as something like this can. Don't want to see folks out of a job. Don't want to see folks sick or worse.

The very easy to believe rumors is that Black Widow is getting pushed back and Soul is getting put on Disney +.

I saw it mention that opening theaters right now might actually be hurting some of them, Because they are operating but really nobody is coming in. So operating and losing money might be worse than just staying close.

My job had some options during the lockdown, but none of them would have covered the cost of operation. Right now is strictly trying to break even. That’s where things are for a lot of businesses.

I can’t imagine the electric bill for a theater.

Regal movie theater chains are closing again with the delay of the new James Bond movie.

Bond is getting blamed! Also bond shutting them down may lead to wonder woman and dune getting pulled again as well!

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/3/2...mes-bond-us-uk

Extraordinary Member

These studios will realize real fast that by not releasing films now and taking a hit they are going to return to a different world with far less theaters to distribute their products and it might take 5, 10, 15 years to get the market bank to the optimization they had pre Covid.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    These studios will realize real fast that by not releasing films now and taking a hit they are going to return to a different world with far less theaters to distribute their products and it might take 5, 10, 15 years to get the market bank to the optimization they had pre Covid.
    There is no "safe" time to release movies, they wouldn't get maximum coverage if they did that - what they would get was mass spreading of Covid to their customers in record time. They need to take what they can get and hold the line until they can fully recover which means waiting until the pandemic is over and building back up to full strength. They can release films now but it has to be done on streaming services or deals with networks like HBO. The old days are over and won't be coming back for a long, long time.

The real problem is movies are too expensive, with a slight correction to that fact the big Hollywood studios are block buster based they make most of their money on one or two films per year. They just can't release these movies they are just too big of a loss. The big studios doesn't have to many of the mid budget or low budget movies any more as part of their plan plus most of those stuff are on streaming services or on network tv today.

You know what would kill in theaters right now Extraction(65 million), Old Guard(70 Million), Project Power(85 million), 6 underground(83 million), Triple Frontier(63 million) Irishman(64 million) but the theater system wanted to freeze Netflix out because quicker turn around to Netflix hurt theaters. There is a little beautiful irony the type of movies that should be releasing can't because of movie industry decisions. Maybe the big companies start making small safer films that instead of one big movie making a chunk of their profits.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-04-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The real problem is movies are too expensive, with a slight correction to that fact the big Hollywood studios are block buster based they make most of their money on one or two films per year. They just can't release these movies they are just too big of a loss. The big studios doesn't have to many of the mid budget or low budget movies any more as part of their plan plus most of those stuff are on streaming services or on network tv today.

You know what would kill in theaters right now Extraction(65 million), Old Guard(70 Million), Project Power(85 million), 6 underground(83 million), Triple Frontier(63 million) Irishman(64 million) but the theater system wanted to freeze Netflix out because quicker turn around to Netflix hurt theaters. There is a little beautiful irony the type of movies that should be releasing can't because of movie industry decisions. Maybe the big companies start making small safer films that instead of one big movie making a chunk of their profits.
    Doesn't this just underscore how unnecessary the theaters are? aside from the blockbusters looking to earn a billion, seems like everything else can be handled by the various streaming services, without any worries about COVID. and now Regal seems to be planning on shutting down their theaters for the rest of the year, with the Bond movie being the final straw.