Page 60 of 420 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Office

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I can see both sides of this one. I do think that the next Marvel movie is suppose to be theater only? But who knows with the way this pandemic is going.
    Watch SJ2 drop hard and they bash HBOMax again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Watch SJ2 drop hard and they bash HBOMax again.

I mean like I said I can see both sides. So if you are a theater obviously you would want, the movies exclusive. But a service like Disney plus I don't know. How can Disney pass that money up? On the other hand they want the theaters to play their movies. But its the pandemic so streaming works for a lot of people. I don't know.

BANNED

I hope SJ2 don’t drop over 70%

There are just a lot of people that are scared to go to a theater until the pandemic is totally gone. These numbers and percentages can't be compared to any other time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    There are just a lot of people that are scared to go to a theater until the pandemic is totally gone. These numbers and percentages can't be compared to any other time.
    It really comes down to this.

Box office figures simply aren't what they could be because a lot of people just aren't going to theatres.

BANNED

Box office attendance was already dropping before the pandemic.

F9 update--

With around $155.9 million in 25 days of domestic release, F9 inched past the current $155.3 million domestic cume of A Quiet Place part II yesterday. That makes it the year’s biggest domestic grosser. Yes, it will likely relinquish that title to Black Widow over the next two weeks, as the MCU flick has around $134.6 million after 11 days after grossing $3 million (-57% from last Monday). The Scarlett Johansson-led Marvel prequel should have around $160 million domestic by Sunday night while F9 should have around $162 million on day 31. But for now Justin Lin’s Fast & Furious 9 is the year’s biggest domestic earner.

The film has, thus far, earned 2.22x its $70 million domestic debut, meaning it is already leggier than Fast & Furious ($155 million from a $71 million launch in 2009). Once it tops $160 million, it’ll be leggier than Fate of the Furious ($226 million/$99 million in 2017). Sure, it may not be a big deal to be leggier than two of the least-liked installments of the franchise, but it shows that the film wasn’t more frontloaded by virtue of opening amid a pandemic and with a shorter (31 days, if Universal so chooses) theatrical window. Folks who would have shown up in weekend four are still doing so.

A Quiet Place part II, which fell 29% last weekend despite being available on Paramount+ and on EST as of last Tuesday, is one of the leggiest “big” Memorial Day openers of all time. It has earned $155.3 million domestic from a $57 million Fri-Mon holiday launch. Its current 2.72x multiplier is right between Men in Black 3 ($179 million/$69 million in 2012) and Aladdin ($353 million/$119 million in 2019). Heck, if you count its $47.5 million Fri-Sun debut as its opening weekend, it’s almost as leggy than A Quiet Place ($188 million/$50 million in 2018). Heck, Disney’s Cruella has earned $83.7 million from a $26.5 million Memorial Day launch, an incredible 3.15x multiplier.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=5458af9513b3

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Box office attendance was already dropping before the pandemic.
    Repeating the same lie over and over again doesn't make it true.

BANNED

Am surprised no one has brought it up but Black Widow insiders and some theatres are suffering a meltdown and blaming Disney for putting the movie on plus, blaming that for the massive second week drop.

https://www.slashfilm.com/black-wido...fice-collapse/

‘Black Widow’ Suffers Worst Box Office Drop in MCU History, Theater Owners Blame Disney+

I think it is a combination of many things that Black Widow's drop was big.

1. the covid pandemic is still raging on

2. the movie is female centric.

3. the film is just your typical generic comic film, although some people may be harsher towards my reception

4. It could be a sign there may be a marvel fatigue and even the most unknowledgeable film goers, who don't know anything about moves, maybe also figuring things out that marvel movies are all the same and there is no need to go back to see it again for the second time, when you already have the same exact movie on your shelf such as Ant Man and Avengers, especially when there is still a pandemic

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I hope SJ2 don’t drop over 70%
    oh, the movie is going to drop big. I am predicting bigger than Black Widow.

Astonishing Member

This is where we are right now for 2021. Top 4 movies.

Fast and Furious- 156 million
    A Quiet Place 2- 155 million
    Black Widow- 138 million
    Kong v Godzilla- 100 million

This is just domestic

Not exactly a bang up year. But it is what it is. Next movie that may make and impact I guess could be Jungle Cruise. Then again who the freak knows.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    This is where we are right now for 2021. Top 4 movies.

Fast and Furious- 156 million
    A Quiet Place 2- 155 million
    Black Widow- 138 million
    Kong v Godzilla- 100 million

This is just domestic

Not exactly a bang up year. But it is what it is. Next movie that may make and impact I guess could be Jungle Cruise. Then again who the freak knows.
    I used to be cynical about the idea of Jungle Cruise, wondering if it was a cash-grab attempt to capitalize on Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle being a huge success also starring Dwayne Johnson (admittedly not knowing when Disney greenlit it).

But after Cruella I'm okay with giving it benefit of doubt. The trailer looks fun and it would be cool if Emily Blunt had 2 blockbuster hits this year.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Am surprised no one has brought it up but Black Widow insiders and some theatres are suffering a meltdown and blaming Disney for putting the movie on plus, blaming that for the massive second week drop.

‘Black Widow’ Suffers Worst Box Office Drop in MCU History, Theater Owners Blame Disney+

3. the film is just your typical generic comic film, although some people may be harsher towards my reception

4. It could be a sign there may be a marvel fatigue and even the most unknowledgeable film goers, who don't know anything about moves, maybe also figuring things out that marvel movies are all the same and there is no need to go back to see it again for the second time, when you already have the same exact movie on your shelf such as Ant Man and Avengers, especially when there is still a pandemic
    You hit the nail on the head, especially number 4.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I used to be cynical about the idea of Jungle Cruise, wondering if it was a cash-grab attempt to capitalize on Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle being a huge success also starring Dwayne Johnson (admittedly not knowing when Disney greenlit it).

But after Cruella I'm okay with giving it benefit of doubt. The trailer looks fun and it would be cool if Emily Blunt had 2 blockbuster hits this year.
    No film has yet to crack 200 million Domestic. I may be predicting Spiderman No Way Home may be the first to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

Or maybe instead of using these totally subjective speculations that have no facts in reality to back them up one could use objective facts to explain the second weekend drop.

Fact 1: 2 million US households watched BW on Disney+ in the first ten days of its release. https://deadline.com/2021/07/black-w...te-1234795969/ As in most cases more than one person watched the movie via one Disney+ account the number of moviegoers BW lost to Disney+ is even higher than 2 million. Also repeated viewings are impacted by this as one pays only once for the movie on Disney+ and can watch it multiple times instead of paying every time they want to see it in a theater.

Fact 2: On top of that due to the day and date release on Disney+ BW is the most pirated movie of the pandemic era. https://movieweb.com/black-widow-most-pirated-movie/

To further back up the significance of the Disney+ release one could look at the box office in BW's biggest market that has no Disney+ yet. In South Korea BW is shown exclusively in theaters and it had only a modest drop of 54% in its second weekend. https://variety.com/2021/film/asia/k...in-1235022684/ It also already became the most successful movie of the year in South Korea, beating F9 after only two weeks.

So what scenario is more likely?

Scenario A: Koreans are the only folks in the world that didn't get that BW is a generic comic film and that Marvel repeats the same movie all the time.

Scenario B: Simultaneous Disney+ availability is the main reason for the big drop, if the movie ran exclusively in theaters like in South Korea it would have had a better second weekend hold.
    Last edited by chicago_bastard; 07-22-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.