Page 208 of 420 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218258308 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 6298

Thread: The Box Office

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

The only place I saw anything about Strange World was a paid partnership with We Rate Dogs on Twitter. However, the trailer wasn’t great and it barely showed the dog, so it seemed like a weird fit and I never gave it another thought.

I can see parents waiting for D+ for these types of movies. I actually think D+ hurts their mediocre kids movies, as it’s trained folks to wait unless the kids really want to see it.

Here was the teaser. Then took time to get another trailer. Many didn't even know the film was out!

Film was not promoted well over the other disney films. Some didn't even know what the film was even about.

I can see parents waiting for D+ for these types of movies. I actually think D+ hurts their mediocre kids movies, as it’s trained folks to wait unless the kids really want to see it.
    Minions made almost a billion. Sing 2, raya, paw patrol, croods 2 did well. Bad guys did ok. Demon slayer and dragonball did fine

It's not that it's a cartoon good or bad. Trailers made the film look average and half the people didn't even know it was out thanks to a awful market campaign.

You are right about "mediocre kids movies" as reviews are saying "good not great" Its "ok" but not disneys best is what they are saying. My sister said its "ok" also.

Turning red should have been released in theatres but chapek wanted to promote his streaming app. That should have been the big pixar film this year.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 11-25-2022 at 05:29 PM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

On a different topic, my midday Glass Onion showing was full today. Good crowd reaction. We liked Knives Out better but it was a fun movie. I’ve read Netflix won’t report the box office, which is too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Minions made almost a billion. Sing 2, raya, paw patrol, croods 2 did well. Bad guys did ok. Demon slayer and dragonball did fine.
    Of that list, Raya is the only one I see that was ever destined for D+ and it didn’t do particularly well. It likely didn’t make money in the theaters. So, I think that suggests Disney is uniquely having an animation issue with some combination of bloated budgets, anemic marketing, storytelling, and aggressive streaming being the culprits.
    Last edited by useridgoeshere; 11-25-2022 at 07:29 PM.

t likely didn’t make money in the theaters.
    Raya made 130.4m ww on a $100m budget. So, it did make a profit. Keep in mind the theatres just opened again after a year of shutdowns, no drinks and popcorn in many theatres, had to wear masks and same day on disney plus.

With all that against it, it still made not a bad haul.

Mighty Member

Raya made 130.4m ww on a $100m budget. So, it did make a profit. Keep in mind the theatres just opened again after a year of shutdowns, no drinks and popcorn in many theatres, had to wear masks and same day on disney plus.

With all that against it, it still made not a bad haul.
    No it didn’t the studio gets at 50% or so of the Box office. That is why the rule of thumb is a movie has to gross double its budget to start making money.

I wonder how much of Chapek seemingly abandoning Disney animation, or relegating it to second class, had to with his departure.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    There is no way that chapek is at fault, the pre/production of the movie must have started way before he became the ceo.
    Yes he can be.

While it was greenlighted before him. It was made under his watch.

I looked into showing at the theater I looked to and pretended to book a seat on line for one of the 7 showings today.

15 seats have been sold for a theater of 207. That is 15 for ALL showings. Tickets to early showings here are $5.41.
    Wakanda Forever has 40 folks watching right now as SW is starting.
    Puss and Boots-has more folks in the early showing and there was ZERO promotion for it.
    At another one neat downtown in a somewhat busy area with 3 showings. 9 seats.
    The most I have seen for the show is 40 and that was in a theater in a mall. That is located near a major college and forever busy freeway.

I have not been not paying attention to this but Some here say it was not that well promoted.
    They did not reveal the cast until July 2022 in FRANCE.
    The book novelizations came out last month in the 11th.

Stuff that is suppose to be sold in theaters were NOT there when I went. Normally if there is stuff like cups and that they get shown. Didn't happen. Yet it's all on Ebay.
    The posters that show Ethan and his Dad and Grandpa-never got put up anywhere.

No kids meal and stuff like that?

A black male gay lead? First time ever for Disney?

How does those optics look with this being the worst for Disney film at Thanksgiving?

The optics look HORRIBLE for this.

I can excuse the film not being as good and all that. I can't excuse the DGAF attitude Disney showed for this movie.

You just gave the folks who don't like Disney anyway ammo and I don't mean the alt right folks. The ones who called out Disney for fake diversity and so on.

Movie checked a lot of boxes and did it's part. Disney did not.

Ultimate Member

Everything still flopping at the box office this weekend except BP2 which is "overperforming".

It's estimates have been going up over the weekend. It was at $601 million WW before this weekend.

Looks like everyone just decided to see BP2 this thanksgiving period.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-26-2022 at 01:59 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I wonder how much of Chapek seemingly abandoning Disney animation, or relegating it to second class, had to with his departure.
    I'm pretty sure that plus the Disney parks mess and PR fiasco with creatives contributed to his departure.

Without exaggeration, I couldn't think of any franchise that was bigger than Pixar except maybe Marvel.

Now, it seems that everything Pixar is on D+ within weeks of release, if they even get released at all in theatres.

That alone is a disincentive to go see the movie in the cinema.

Extraordinary Member

Main reasons why strange world is not doing well.

1-Not well promoted.

2-Black panther 2.
    Disney putting out the movie too close to black panther 2.

3-Does not matter who is the lead,Chapek not caring for animation, period.
    So that's related to the first two of course.

4- RT TOMATOMETER score,word of mouth etc..
    RT TOMATOMETER NOT great.
    Audience liked score is even worse, not bad but close to rotten.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-27-2022 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It looks like everything except BP2 is bombing this thanksgiving.

Strange World is really flopping hard. It really looks like Disney just dropped that movie with minimal marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yes he can be.

While it was greenlighted before him. It was made under his watch.

I looked into showing at the theater I looked to and pretended to book a seat on line for one of the 7 showings today.

15 seats have been sold for a theater of 207. That is 15 for ALL showings. Tickets to early showings here are $5.41.
    Wakanda Forever has 40 folks watching right now as SW is starting.
    Puss and Boots-has more folks in the early showing and there was ZERO promotion for it.
    At another one neat downtown in a somewhat busy area with 3 showings. 9 seats.
    The most I have seen for the show is 40 and that was in a theater in a mall. That is located near a major college and forever busy freeway.

They did not reveal the cast until July 2022 in FRANCE.
    The book novelizations came out last month in the 11th.

Stuff that is suppose to be sold in theaters were NOT there when I went. Normally if there is stuff like cups and that they get shown. Didn't happen. Yet it's all on Ebay.
    The posters that show Ethan and his Dad and Grandpa-never got put up anywhere.

A black male gay lead? First time ever for Disney?

How does those optics look with this being the worst for Disney film at Thanksgiving?

The optics look HORRIBLE for this.

I can excuse the film not being as good and all that. I can't excuse the DGAF attitude Disney showed for this movie.

You just gave the folks who don't like Disney anyway ammo and I don't mean the alt right folks. The ones who called out Disney for fake diversity and so on.

Movie checked a lot of boxes and did it's part. Disney did not.
    I think I saw one trailer for this movie- they showed it before Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. And to be honest, it just looked BAD. There was nothing in it that hooked me, and I didn't even know there was LGBTQ+ characters in it (and didn't remember there were Black characters in it).

You say this is bad optics for Disney; I say I forgot this movie even came out, and I just saw the trailer 3 weeks ago. If it's never mentioned again, I'd forget that they even made it.

Black panther is in the happy meals right now. They could have sent it to burger king or wendys but disney didn't act like they cared. Films marketing was not good. Most people didn't even know it was out!

Just looked and a small group of toys for the film. Many disney films have full toy displays at wal-mart and target. Even lightyear got one. Did this film at all?

Puss in boots 2 had early showings today. No word on box office yet but it good great reviews in fact audience score on rt is 98 at 50 reviews so far.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pus..._the_last_wish

How well will this do?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Black panther is in the happy meals right now. They could have sent it to burger king or wendys but disney didn't act like they cared. Films marketing was not good. Most people didn't even know it was out!

Just looked and a small group of toys for the film. Many disney films have full toy displays at wal-mart and target. Even lightyear got one. Did this film at all?
    They likely as I posted way earlier saw the film as a loss given not being released in 20 territories. Once that happened Disney was like...f-ck it. No need to toss good money after bad. Even with trying to push for toys from those places. (I don't know if Wendy's does it or not now)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    They likely as I posted way earlier saw the film as a loss given not being released in 20 territories. Once that happened Disney was like...f-ck it. No need to toss good money after bad. Even with trying to push for toys from those places. (I don't know if Wendy's does it or not now)
    With the exception of China these markets are more or less irrelevant. Encanto made 25 million in these countries, that's a sum that doesn't determine whether a movie with a 150+ million budget bombs or not.

Under Chapek Disney was throwing all their animated content under the bus, countries banning the film has nothing to do with it.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.